• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

"Detroit the hottest option for Zuccarello Aasen"

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockeybladet/sverige/elitserien/modo/article6796901.ab

It's the small (5'7) skilled guy from norway that was their best player in the vancouver olympics and won the scoring title in the SEL this season. It says detroit and a few other teams have contacted him and his agent says detroit would be the best option based on how they play etc. He is a free agent that can sign anywhere he wants much like ville leino 2 years ago.

Like or DO Not like?

Edited by mindfly

YES PLEASE!!!!

He's a magician with the puck! He was amazing during the Olympics proving he has no troubles stepping up to a higher level.

Would be amazing if he signed with Detroit.

This!

He's a small guy, but I think he could really make it in the NHL. Unlike Leino, he has good speed and is not afraid to go into the tough areas.

In the Olympics he was extremely impressive.. the way Yzerman was talking about him during those games indicates that the Wings have a real interest in him.

While we're at it, talk Forsberg out of what seems like his retirment plans, the two of them were tearing it up together at the end of the season.

I'm a huge fan of a signing like this. He has a ton of potential and we don't have to give up an asset to get him. We can further his development in our system and he's already shown what he can do on a big stage. Personally, I think he's already shown far more potential than Leino did when we went after him.

It's true that he is small and that will undoubtedly bring a lot of ppl hating on this potential signing but at the end of the day skill beats size as much as a lot of you guys hate to hear it. That being said, I personally have my skill players be whatever size they are and then fill the rest of my team out accordingly - somethign the Wings don't always do.

I'm a huge fan of a signing like this. He has a ton of potential and we don't have to give up an asset to get him. We can further his development in our system and he's already shown what he can do on a big stage. Personally, I think he's already shown far more potential than Leino did when we went after him.

It's true that he is small and that will undoubtedly bring a lot of ppl hating on this potential signing but at the end of the day skill beats size as much as a lot of you guys hate to hear it. That being said, I personally have my skill players be whatever size they are and then fill the rest of my team out accordingly - something the Wings don't always do.

In reality we weren't going after Leino, he was more like a backup plan. We we're more after Brunstrom but he eventually wanted to sign with Dallas so we turn our heads toward Leino. Leino was just a failed experiment. Hope this one turns out to be a successful experiment.

He was playing good for a team with no actual stars and was pretty darn fast, will see how he pans out if he eventually decides to sign here.

Look for him to spend some time in GRG before making his transition to the NHL.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

It's true that he is small and that will undoubtedly bring a lot of ppl hating on this potential signing but at the end of the day skill beats size as much as a lot of you guys hate to hear it. That being said, I personally have my skill players be whatever size they are and then fill the rest of my team out accordingly - somethign the Wings don't always do.

This. A signing like this can only benefit the team.

This. A signing like this can only benefit the team.

It's true - all you really lose out on signings like these (if they don't work out) are the prospect roster spots and the money. Take a look at what Brian Burke has been doing signing kids out of College (and some other GMs of course). Burke signed Dustin Penner out of college and before his nasty contract with Edmonton he was a great piece fo the cup winning team in Anaheim. Also, look at Bozak in Toronto. This kid looks like he could definitely develop into a top six guy in this league and he came out of college too.

Those are just the recent signees.

Point is, these are low risk signings with high reward potential. If you can get a guy like Zuccarello Aasen then I say you grab him - plus, it'll most likely be on an entry level contract (I think).

He does seem talented but at 5'7 he might be to small. Skill can only take you so far, dont know how he would do against Chara or Pronger. Wont hurt to sign him so i say go for it and let him see what he does. Who knows maybe if we get hudler back some day we could have Aasen-Hudler-Tater on the same line and set the record for the smallest line in NHL history

Who knows maybe if we get hudler back some day we could have Aasen-Hudler-Tater on the same line and set the record for the smallest line in NHL history

That's actually pretty funny. In all honesty, I wouldn't sell that line short - and yes, pun intended. Teams would undoubtedly underestimate that line - again, pun intended. They'd have a ton of skill and could fly under the radar - again, pun clearly intended. Who knows, could be fun to see one day.

He does seem talented but at 5'7 he might be to small. Skill can only take you so far, dont know how he would do against Chara or Pronger. Wont hurt to sign him so i say go for it and let him see what he does. Who knows maybe if we get hudler back some day we could have Aasen-Hudler-Tater on the same line and set the record for the smallest line in NHL history

He did just fine against Chara and Pronger in the Olympics.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

He does seem talented but at 5'7 he might be to small. Skill can only take you so far, dont know how he would do against Chara or Pronger. Wont hurt to sign him so i say go for it and let him see what he does. Who knows maybe if we get hudler back some day we could have Aasen-Hudler-Tater on the same line and set the record for the most points per inch in NHL history

Hmmm, why the Hell not. As other's have pointed out this could only help us, and the Way Yzerman was talking about him makes me think we are seriously interested. I can see him possibly becoming a nice 2nd tier scorer on this team, ala a Hudler Light, placing him on the third line and watching his superior skill create good mismatchs.

Get it Done Kenny.

I love these free agent signings - absolutely win win for the Red Wings.

Do not give anything up, so there is next to no risk at all.

Take Leino - he didn't work, but the Wings gave up nothing for him and ended up gaining a draft pick for him.

Sign this guy up! Hudler, Tatar and Aasen -- The Hobbit Line!

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

He seems OK. Eliteprospects.com says that he's also "defensively responsible and doesn't mind heavy traffic."

What I like him best is that he's so small that he would drive people nuts here.

:thumbup:

With that new head hunting rule coming up, I think he'd be great for getting the Wings all those extra power plays ;)

He does seem to have some pretty nice skill though. I can't remember when was the last time there was a player as short as him in the NHL... I think maybe sometime in the 90's?

Edit : Also, GET 'ER DONE KENNY!!!

Edited by Namingway

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

With that new head hunting rule coming up, I think he'd be great for getting the Wings all those extra power plays ;)

He does seem to have some pretty nice skill though. I can't remember when was the last time there was a player as short as him in the NHL... I think maybe sometime in the 90's?

Gionta

Theo Fleury is 5'6

We need more enforcers!

No seriously. This guy is great. The size can be a problem, because we're already a small team. He could maybe do better in a team were there are big guys all over him so he could do his thing. But it would still be a great signing. Low risk, high reward. Probably fits in Babcock's style of play also.

A quick couple of points after a quick jaunt around the "Internets"

1)He plays for Modo in the Swedish Elite League - where his two year stat totals were: 90gp, 35g, 69asst, 104p. The SEL is often considered to be the most conservative and defensive oriented league in the world. The gaudy offensive numbers of the Q, WHL, KHL, etc often are not reflective of a players abilities in the SEL. To provide some level of perspective - Zetterberg's stat line in 2005 was 50gp, 19g, 31assts, 50pts. The following season in 2006, he had 85 points for the Red Wings. I am by no way implying that he will be Henrik Zetterberg, however his numbers are misleading. HIs SEL pedigree follows a long line of "point per game" future NHL stars like Forsberg, Backstrom, Sedin, Sedin, Alfredsson, etc. and actually his collective stats thus far are as good if not better than many of them.

He was awarded "Most Point in the League (SEL)" in 2009, and was additionally awarded "Best Norweigan Player" in 2008.

2) According to Elite Prospects -

Strengths - Fantastic technical skills and great passing ability. Can finish with ablomb. A magician who can do spectacular things with the puck. Great vision and can man the power play point. Defensively responsible and doesn't mind heavy traffic.

Weaknesses - Size and strength. Not a great physical player

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10881〈=en

Zuccarello Aasen has often been overlooked due to his short stature and size. In fact, there are already those on this boards who do not want him solely based upon his physical size. However, he has no concern over physical play and will play through traffic. The Red Wings have had a propensity to draft and acquire undersized players who lacked "ideal" NHL size for their position - many of which who have developed into key contributors (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hudler, etc.). Additionally, it's not as if there hasn't been a precedent of a 5'7", underweight, playmaking Right Winger who plays with offensive flair who aggressively plows into heavy traffic (cough Theo Fluery cough). Christ, there is a laundry list of undersized players who have thrived in the NHL (regardless of players like Pronger) - St. Louis, Gionta, Kapenan, etc.

3) Steve Yzerman has raved about this kid and I for one, would not question Steve Yzerman about...well, anything really.

4) The Red Wings appear to have the inside track on securing him. The Red Wings have shown the most interest in his play (alongside Chicago, Dallas, and the Thrashers). The Thrashers are irrelevant, Dallas would be a poor fit for him, and Chicago will not be able to afford offering anything above a basic entry level contract as they are well over the cap for next year.

http://www.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_show_detroit-ar-hetast-for-mats.html?id=9550181

5) His nickname is the "Wizard Hobbit" - Sweet Tap-Dancing Christ - that alone is worth a 2 year deal.

After all of this - why wouldn't the Red Wings offer him a contract? It allows them to secure another prospect without the cost of a draft pick or at the expense of any current players. It is all upside. Best case scenario - we secure a potential top six forward. Worst case - we have a tradable asset at next year's deadline.