• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

"Detroit the hottest option for Zuccarello Aasen"

Rate this topic

I don't think SEL is the most defensive-oriented in the world though. They play in bigger rinks than any other big European league or KHL. There are much more attacking and less toughness and hitting.

Your other points were good though.

I actually think signing him would be great.. but isnt this the short guy with the really long stick? I could be wrong but I think that's why I remember his name.. and if thats the case.. would the NHL let him use a stick that long?

I think somethign to keep in mind is that Zuccarello Aasen wouldnt step right into the line up. He would spend some time in GR. By the time he potentially played for the Wings Draper and Maltby would for sure be gone and Holmstrom could also potentially be gone.

Even if Hudler were to come back by then Abdelkader would be in the line up and ideally we could add another big body up front to compliment the skill players. If we rounded out our skill with big bodies like Bertuzzi (even though he doesnt always use his size), Franzen, Abdelkader and an extra add on then suddenly our forwards don't seen terribly small.

All I'm saying is that in my mind skill and hockey sense out weighs size in today's NHL. That being said I think you fill out your roster with energy and toughness around your skill.

The Swedish League as "defensive" was a summarization by I believe Hakan Andersson who stated something similar. I'm trying to find the article but the general point he made was points earned in that league are extremely difficult to come by and that it is far more "defnsively" focused to play sound positional hockey and to not risk defense at the expense of offense.

This was all in response to a question asked about the high scoring numbers that are seen from the Canadian Major Junior Leagues and how the points translate between the North American leagues and the European Leagues. Basically, the Swedes stress defense and puck possession, bigger rinks, etc. that lead to fewer points and this is not an accurate estimate of their true offense output.

This is further validated by the point totals of Swedish Elite League players vs. their North American counterparts. Mats Zuccarello Aasen was the League Leader in Points for the SEL at 64 points. Compared to Canadian Junior Major Leagues (I know one is professional and one is amateur but these are the league they compare when making draft decisions) - top flight leaders in the OHL: 106pts, QJMHL: 96pts, etc.

That's actually pretty funny. In all honesty, I wouldn't sell that line short - and yes, pun intended. Teams would undoubtedly underestimate that line - again, pun intended. They'd have a ton of skill and could fly under the radar - again, pun clearly intended. Who knows, could be fun to see one day.

I love this post! :clap:

Not sure I can handle two dwarfs on the same team (assuming Hudler comes back). I miss the days when the Wings' actually pursued guys who weren't strictly finesse.

Well... power forwards are rare. I mean skilled guys like Shanahan or Tkachuk. You can get guys like Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves and Brad May the way the Wings did.

If a player with great skills goes undrafted then why not pursue him?

Edited by P. Marlowe

Guest micah

I don't care how big or little he is as long as he's a fearless player who will play a complete game, doing everything possible to the best of his ability and play with heart. If he plays half a season in GR, we'll be able to see very quickly whether he's meek playing against nasty people or if he's willing to go into the corners and muck it up.

PJ stick wasn't that big, and he was one of my all-time faves. If Zucchini-Ass plays with half the heart that PJ did, I'm sure he'll be a fan favorite here just like PJ was everywhere he played:)

Well... power forwards are rare. You can get guys like Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves and Brad May the way the Wings did.

'Zactly. Tallent is tallent. 1st liners are role-players every bit as much as 4th liners are, it's just a different role. If this kid comes cheap and might evolve into a player who could score in the NHL, why not take a chance on him?

He reminded me of Kane in some sections of that video. To me the most critical element in our game these days is skating. If you have it you can be successful, if you don't your sunk. That's why Leino failed(can't skate). He's obviously got hands and visions. Can he make plays without space and time with that size? No one knows until he's in the lineup.

I think somethign to keep in mind is that Zuccarello Aasen wouldnt step right into the line up. He would spend some time in GR. By the time he potentially played for the Wings Draper and Maltby would for sure be gone and Holmstrom could also potentially be gone.

Even if Hudler were to come back by then Abdelkader would be in the line up and ideally we could add another big body up front to compliment the skill players. If we rounded out our skill with big bodies like Bertuzzi (even though he doesnt always use his size), Franzen, Abdelkader and an extra add on then suddenly our forwards don't seen terribly small.

All I'm saying is that in my mind skill and hockey sense out weighs size in today's NHL. That being said I think you fill out your roster with energy and toughness around your skill.

Good points. I don't think we have a terribly small team now, size is not what I think Holland should go after for next season. We need more skill really. Leino didn't work out but I don't think that should make us afraid to go after undrafted skilled euros. As mentioned, the reward is so much greater than the risk.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen

Zuccarello-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Miller

That looks like a well-balanced line-up to me.

Well... power forwards are rare. I mean skilled guys like Shanahan or Tkachuk. You can get guys like Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves and Brad May the way the Wings did.

This is true, I do miss having a Shanahan in the lineup, but he is a rare breed these days.

A quick couple of points after a quick jaunt around the "Internets"

1)He plays for Modo in the Swedish Elite League - where his two year stat totals were: 90gp, 35g, 69asst, 104p. The SEL is often considered to be the most conservative and defensive oriented league in the world. The gaudy offensive numbers of the Q, WHL, KHL, etc often are not reflective of a players abilities in the SEL. To provide some level of perspective - Zetterberg's stat line in 2005 was 50gp, 19g, 31assts, 50pts. The following season in 2006, he had 85 points for the Red Wings. I am by no way implying that he will be Henrik Zetterberg, however his numbers are misleading. HIs SEL pedigree follows a long line of "point per game" future NHL stars like Forsberg, Backstrom, Sedin, Sedin, Alfredsson, etc. and actually his collective stats thus far are as good if not better than many of them.

He was awarded "Most Point in the League (SEL)" in 2009, and was additionally awarded "Best Norweigan Player" in 2008.

2) According to Elite Prospects -

Strengths - Fantastic technical skills and great passing ability. Can finish with ablomb. A magician who can do spectacular things with the puck. Great vision and can man the power play point. Defensively responsible and doesn't mind heavy traffic.

Weaknesses - Size and strength. Not a great physical player

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10881〈=en

Zuccarello Aasen has often been overlooked due to his short stature and size. In fact, there are already those on this boards who do not want him solely based upon his physical size. However, he has no concern over physical play and will play through traffic. The Red Wings have had a propensity to draft and acquire undersized players who lacked "ideal" NHL size for their position - many of which who have developed into key contributors (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hudler, etc.). Additionally, it's not as if there hasn't been a precedent of a 5'7", underweight, playmaking Right Winger who plays with offensive flair who aggressively plows into heavy traffic (cough Theo Fluery cough). Christ, there is a laundry list of undersized players who have thrived in the NHL (regardless of players like Pronger) - St. Louis, Gionta, Kapenan, etc.

3) Steve Yzerman has raved about this kid and I for one, would not question Steve Yzerman about...well, anything really.

4) The Red Wings appear to have the inside track on securing him. The Red Wings have shown the most interest in his play (alongside Chicago, Dallas, and the Thrashers). The Thrashers are irrelevant, Dallas would be a poor fit for him, and Chicago will not be able to afford offering anything above a basic entry level contract as they are well over the cap for next year.

http://www.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_show_detroit-ar-hetast-for-mats.html?id=9550181

5) His nickname is the "Wizard Hobbit" - Sweet Tap-Dancing Christ - that alone is worth a 2 year deal.

After all of this - why wouldn't the Red Wings offer him a contract? It allows them to secure another prospect without the cost of a draft pick or at the expense of any current players. It is all upside. Best case scenario - we secure a potential top six forward. Worst case - we have a tradable asset at next year's deadline.

Damn man. You've sold me on him! Now fax this to Kenny. :lol:

First of all, he must to be willing to play in the AHL. That is absolutely a must. And then after a year, maybe longer, the role he can hope for is a bottom six scorer much like Leino was supposed to be and at best a 3rd/2nd line tweener as a Red Wing. If he wants to be a Red Wing, he will likely have to abide by those conditions.

A guy who is 5'7 making the Red Wings and being effective would be a good story though. Just not all that likely, which is what makes it a good story.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

First of all, he must to be willing to play in the AHL. That is absolutely a must. And then after a year, maybe longer, the role he can hope for is a bottom six scorer much like Leino was supposed to be and at best a 3rd/2nd line tweener as a Red Wing. If he wants to be a Red Wing, he will likely have to abide by those conditions.

A guy who is 5'7 making the Red Wings and being effective would be a good story though. Just not all that likely, which is what makes it a good story.

A 5'8 guy already did. Btw great post Octopuskid, while I doubt he will score as much as Backstrom or Forsberg would, to be on par with them in a similar league is damn impressive.

yeah, another small soft euro, no thanks. Already go tatar coming up quick and hudler maybe coming back eventually. zuccarella or whatever is moot, wings already learned there lesson with leino. WONT HAPPEN

What lesson is that? We shouldn't sign Euros? We shouldn't sign Finns?

What a stupid post.

We have a couple guys from Europe that have worked out Ok so far.

What a stupid post.

i agree with whoever said he needs some time in the AHL, too many euros coming to the league and expecting big time minutes. let the talent develop further. i say give it a shot for sure. the euro danny briere

Is he small? yes. But the guy seems pretty fast. does he appear wide open eveytime? yes. He seems to find the open ice, something leino couldnt seem to do for us. I think that he would be a good addition and his size would allow us to get him for something cheap. If thats the case, if he pans out then Holland looks like a genius, if he doesnt then its not a big cap hit. I would take this kid in a heart beat. His long hair and boyish looks make him look like a wing already haha. The only thing holding him back is his long last name lol. I would take him if hes willing next season for a decent price.

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer