• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

"Detroit the hottest option for Zuccarello Aasen"

Rate this topic

Because I enjoyed watching Red Wings hockey in the late 90s? Why does it bother people on this forum so much when anyone suggests that having a skilled team that is still capable of hitting and fighting is enjoyable? I'll be the first to admit that I'd much rather watch the 97-98 roster than the current lineup. It's not necessarily plausible anymore, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to suddenly forget that this team used to be made up of players who stood up for each other and yet were very successful. And, it's not like Hudler and this random guy will be the only softies on the team.

I'm not trying to start another ridiculous "need moar fighters" debate, I'm just saying, I like watching a skilled yet physical team and this guy is even smaller than Hudler.

We're not really a soft this season though. I know we don't see a lot of fighting, but we're 9th in the league in hits.. adding Hudler and/or Zuccarello and getting rid of Williams and/or Bertuzzi/Maltby would not make us a much softer team, just a bit smaller but also more skilled. And there were "softies" on the 97-98 roster as well.

We're not really a soft this season though. I know we don't see a lot of fighting, but we're 9th in the league in hits.. adding Hudler and/or Zuccarello and getting rid of Williams and/or Bertuzzi/Maltby would not make us a much softer team, just a bit smaller but also more skilled. And there were "softies" on the 97-98 roster as well.

This is true, although hitting statistics are always a little sketchy. Cleary and Eaves are two of the top hitters on the team, but do you think anyone out there on the opposition is worried about the hits they're throwing? I guess what I really mean is that I miss having some assholes on our team who actually force people to keep their heads up. Kronwall is probably the only feared hitter on the squad.

97-98 had some softies, but they also had some guys who would take your head off ;)

Because I enjoyed watching Red Wings hockey in the late 90s? Why does it bother people on this forum so much when anyone suggests that having a skilled team that is still capable of hitting and fighting is enjoyable? I'll be the first to admit that I'd much rather watch the 97-98 roster than the current lineup. It's not necessarily plausible anymore, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to suddenly forget that this team used to be made up of players who stood up for each other and yet were very successful. And, it's not like Hudler and this random guy will be the only softies on the team.

I'm not trying to start another ridiculous "need moar fighters" debate, I'm just saying, I like watching a skilled yet physical team and this guy is even smaller than Hudler.

This is your flaw... no offense.

You obviously equate size with physicality and one has nothing to do with the other. In fact, one could argue that a smaller size and a lower center of gravity are actually advantages in a fast game like hockey... offset by the fact that you will probably receive and errant elbow every game or so.

I dunno how you call it failed experiment when he only had one full nhl season lol

Is he still with the team? No, therefore it didn't pan out and thus is a failure.

Sign Zuccarello Aasen please, thanks.

This is your flaw... no offense.

You obviously equate size with physicality and one has nothing to do with the other. In fact, one could argue that a smaller size and a lower center of gravity are actually advantages in a fast game like hockey... offset by the fact that you will probably receive and errant elbow every game or so.

Maybe not height, but no one is afraid of being hit by a guy who weighs 157 lbs. In general the top hitters in the league (the ones that make you yell at the TV when you're playing against them) are around 6'0 200 lbs.

What lesson is that? We shouldn't sign Euros? We shouldn't sign Finns?

What a stupid post.

We have a couple guys from Europe that have worked out Ok so far.

What a stupid post.

the lesson is to not sign small soft euros who will get manhandled in the NHL and have their weaknesses exposed like leino. There is a reason why these guys weren't drafted. Hnat domenchelli had a good tournament too, should we sign him also? Nobody knew who this guy was until the small ass sample size at the olympics, he will be nothing.

the euros that have worked out so far are the ones the wings drafted and grew........

Maybe not height, but no one is afraid of being hit by a guy who weighs 157 lbs. In general the top hitters in the league (the ones that make you yell at the TV when you're playing against them) are around 6'0 200 lbs.

I see your point. It would be nicer if he had a big body, but I highly doubt that he would see an NHL game next season unless we get destroyed by injuries again. The Wings have nothing to lose by bringing him to GR and watching him play for a season.

I see your point. It would be nicer if he had a big body, but I highly doubt that he would see an NHL game next season unless we get destroyed by injuries again. The Wings have nothing to lose by bringing him to GR and watching him play for a season.

Agreed, it's worth a shot. And like I said earlier in the thread, as much I'd like to see some bigger skilled forwards, they're not exactly walking into Holland's office off the street. Power forwards are hard to come by these days.

Leino couldn't skate though and wasn't determined enough to overcome it.

Exactly. Leino had the attitude that he was a "skilled player" and didn't have to work hard in the corners like a Darren Helm.

From the small sample size of the Olympics, Zuccarello Aasen looks like a guy who can skate and is willing to go to the tough areas on the ice. Combine that with his obvious skill and I'm confident that he won't be another Leino.

From the way he's described he sounds like a mix of Helm and Hudler, which I would love to see. There is very little downside to trying to sign this guy unless he demands a big contract, which coming out of the SEL I doubt he can do.

Sign him up! Though I think Grand Rapids would be his hottest option for awhile which could sway him from signing on.

Onlyn if he is stupid and thinks he can just step onto NHL ice and blend in. If that's the case, good riddance.

the lesson is to not sign small soft euros who will get manhandled in the NHL and have their weaknesses exposed like leino. There is a reason why these guys weren't drafted. Hnat domenchelli had a good tournament too, should we sign him also? Nobody knew who this guy was until the small ass sample size at the olympics, he will be nothing.

the euros that have worked out so far are the ones the wings drafted and grew........

People knew about him but because of his size he wasn't drafted. When they saw how he handled himself on small rinks against Pronger, Suter, Chara etc. in the Olympics they realized he could make it in the NHL. And while the Olympics are a small sample size, he has two great seasons in the SEL behind him.

The comparison to Dominichelli is uncalled for. First of all he wasn't very impressive in Vancouver, and he has had his chance in the NHL and failed. He's also much older. Totally different player, totally different situation.

Guest mindfly

why the heck are all European hockey players left handed??

Because it's a cultural thing as much as most north americans are right handed or atleast a much larger number of right shooters (im not sitting next to the correct stats but i think i read there are more right shooters than left in North America)

Edited by mindfly

They're right-handed but shoot left.. is it not like that in north-america? Stronger hand = upper hand on stick?

I think for some schools it depends on what position you play. If you're a center then that's how it is but if a winger then they might try their dominant hand on the bottom.

This is true, although hitting statistics are always a little sketchy. Cleary and Eaves are two of the top hitters on the team, but do you think anyone out there on the opposition is worried about the hits they're throwing? I guess what I really mean is that I miss having some assholes on our team who actually force people to keep their heads up. Kronwall is probably the only feared hitter on the squad.

97-98 had some softies, but they also had some guys who would take your head off ;)

That is a good point. ANother thing to remember is that we will also have a full time ABdelkader on our roster.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that although I enjoy seeing our players lay big hits on other teams I personally like seeing our players play tough. What I mean by that is guys who are hard nosed guys who will take hits to make plays, who will go into the dirty areas of the ice, and who are willing to pay the price to score goals and to win games. You may not see guys on our team (like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Cleary, Filppula etc) lay ppl out all too often but what you do see is them play with a willingness to do whatever it takes to make things happen and that is a massive reason we have been to the Conference Finals and further 3 straight years in a row.

From the scouting reports on Zuccarello Aasen, posted in this thread (and that's all I have to go on at this point), it sounds as though he is determined and willing to do those things. Any comparisons, in this regard, to Leino are simply unjustified at this point in their careers/developments.

It's true that Zuccarello Aasen won't be laying anyone out and striking fear in any other team but in the last 20 odd Stanley Cup winning teams the Ducks in 07 were the only ones that really, fully played that way (some of you may say Devils teams with Stevens on the point were similar but that's up for debate).

In an ideal world we'd get to have our cake and to eat it too. In a couple years we'd have our skill guys in Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Tatar, Zuccarello Aasen and then have our forwards rounded out with some bigger bodies like ABdelkader and some more additions to protect the skill.

They're right-handed but shoot left.. is it not like that in north-america? Stronger hand = upper hand on stick?

If I tried to play with my right hand on the top I would completely fail. From what I have seen kids are told to do it which ever way is more comfortable.

I think for some schools it depends on what position you play. If you're a center then that's how it is but if a winger then they might try their dominant hand on the bottom.

This issue came up in an article during the Olympics. I'll try and find it. But from what I remember the way it's 'supposed' to be taught is your dominant hand is at the top of the stick. So since most ppl on the planet are right handed you get more left handed hockey players. However, most USA hockey programs teach it 'backwards' and thus more american players are righthanded hockey players.

Im right handed and I play with my right on the bottom. It's not like my left is so weak I can't lift the stick haha.

My dominant hand on the bottom lets me stick handle better and I'm less likely to lift my stick off the ice for no good reason and get a penalty or miss a pass. Some pros should try it I think.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

not just ZA but the whole norwegian team was impressive. they didnt win any games but you can tell they had a lot of heart going into the tournament. yeah they lost big to the us and canada but to the other teams most of the games were really close. heck even the goalie was impressive too..

ZA would be a great addition for the wings. hes got skill, and lots of skill