• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#41 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

looks like he plays with enthusiasm. i can dig that.
Posted Image

#42 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

A quick couple of points after a quick jaunt around the "Internets"

1)He plays for Modo in the Swedish Elite League - where his two year stat totals were: 90gp, 35g, 69asst, 104p. The SEL is often considered to be the most conservative and defensive oriented league in the world. The gaudy offensive numbers of the Q, WHL, KHL, etc often are not reflective of a players abilities in the SEL. To provide some level of perspective - Zetterberg's stat line in 2005 was 50gp, 19g, 31assts, 50pts. The following season in 2006, he had 85 points for the Red Wings. I am by no way implying that he will be Henrik Zetterberg, however his numbers are misleading. HIs SEL pedigree follows a long line of "point per game" future NHL stars like Forsberg, Backstrom, Sedin, Sedin, Alfredsson, etc. and actually his collective stats thus far are as good if not better than many of them.

He was awarded "Most Point in the League (SEL)" in 2009, and was additionally awarded "Best Norweigan Player" in 2008.

2) According to Elite Prospects -

Strengths - Fantastic technical skills and great passing ability. Can finish with ablomb. A magician who can do spectacular things with the puck. Great vision and can man the power play point. Defensively responsible and doesn't mind heavy traffic.

Weaknesses - Size and strength. Not a great physical player

http://www.elitepros...r=10881&lang=en

Zuccarello Aasen has often been overlooked due to his short stature and size. In fact, there are already those on this boards who do not want him solely based upon his physical size. However, he has no concern over physical play and will play through traffic. The Red Wings have had a propensity to draft and acquire undersized players who lacked "ideal" NHL size for their position - many of which who have developed into key contributors (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hudler, etc.). Additionally, it's not as if there hasn't been a precedent of a 5'7", underweight, playmaking Right Winger who plays with offensive flair who aggressively plows into heavy traffic (cough Theo Fluery cough). Christ, there is a laundry list of undersized players who have thrived in the NHL (regardless of players like Pronger) - St. Louis, Gionta, Kapenan, etc.

3) Steve Yzerman has raved about this kid and I for one, would not question Steve Yzerman about...well, anything really.

4) The Red Wings appear to have the inside track on securing him. The Red Wings have shown the most interest in his play (alongside Chicago, Dallas, and the Thrashers). The Thrashers are irrelevant, Dallas would be a poor fit for him, and Chicago will not be able to afford offering anything above a basic entry level contract as they are well over the cap for next year.

http://www.google.co...html?id=9550181

5) His nickname is the "Wizard Hobbit" - Sweet Tap-Dancing Christ - that alone is worth a 2 year deal.

After all of this - why wouldn't the Red Wings offer him a contract? It allows them to secure another prospect without the cost of a draft pick or at the expense of any current players. It is all upside. Best case scenario - we secure a potential top six forward. Worst case - we have a tradable asset at next year's deadline.

Damn man. You've sold me on him! Now fax this to Kenny. :lol:
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#43 tdinc

tdinc

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:27 AM

sign this dude......

#44 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

Too small.

#45 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

First of all, he must to be willing to play in the AHL. That is absolutely a must. And then after a year, maybe longer, the role he can hope for is a bottom six scorer much like Leino was supposed to be and at best a 3rd/2nd line tweener as a Red Wing. If he wants to be a Red Wing, he will likely have to abide by those conditions.

A guy who is 5'7 making the Red Wings and being effective would be a good story though. Just not all that likely, which is what makes it a good story.

#46 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

First of all, he must to be willing to play in the AHL. That is absolutely a must. And then after a year, maybe longer, the role he can hope for is a bottom six scorer much like Leino was supposed to be and at best a 3rd/2nd line tweener as a Red Wing. If he wants to be a Red Wing, he will likely have to abide by those conditions.

A guy who is 5'7 making the Red Wings and being effective
would be a good story though. Just not all that likely, which is what makes it a good story.

A 5'8 guy already did. Btw great post Octopuskid, while I doubt he will score as much as Backstrom or Forsberg would, to be on par with them in a similar league is damn impressive.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#47 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

For one he would have to shake that "Hobbit Wizard" nickname. I vote for "Black Aasen".

Edited by kook_10, 18 March 2010 - 11:53 AM.

works every time

#48 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

A 5'8 guy already did.

Yeah, but 66 years have passed since Ted broke into the league, a lot has changed since then.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#49 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

yeah, another small soft euro, no thanks. Already go tatar coming up quick and hudler maybe coming back eventually. zuccarella or whatever is moot, wings already learned there lesson with leino. WONT HAPPEN

What lesson is that? We shouldn't sign Euros? We shouldn't sign Finns?

What a stupid post.

We have a couple guys from Europe that have worked out Ok so far.

What a stupid post.
Do or do not. There is no try

#50 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

i agree with whoever said he needs some time in the AHL, too many euros coming to the league and expecting big time minutes. let the talent develop further. i say give it a shot for sure. the euro danny briere

#51 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

Is he small? yes. But the guy seems pretty fast. does he appear wide open eveytime? yes. He seems to find the open ice, something leino couldnt seem to do for us. I think that he would be a good addition and his size would allow us to get him for something cheap. If thats the case, if he pans out then Holland looks like a genius, if he doesnt then its not a big cap hit. I would take this kid in a heart beat. His long hair and boyish looks make him look like a wing already haha. The only thing holding him back is his long last name lol. I would take him if hes willing next season for a decent price.

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer, 18 March 2010 - 12:17 PM.

#52 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

Too small.

Martin St. Louis,Patrick Kane, jiri Hudler. Nuff said.
You know he only weights 10 pounds less than Vladdy did?

Edited by Original-Six, 18 March 2010 - 12:23 PM.

#53 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

That's actually pretty funny. In all honesty, I wouldn't sell that line short - and yes, pun intended. Teams would undoubtedly underestimate that line - again, pun intended. They'd have a ton of skill and could fly under the radar - again, pun clearly intended. Who knows, could be fun to see one day.

they could be the "peewee line"

there's the 3rd scoring line that everyone on here is calling for. as long as tatar gets back to where he was before he went to the WJC and played for the worst slovakian team ever!

i'd like to see that line against chara, skating between his legs instead of trying to go around him. :lol:

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#54 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

New strategy to get into the zone, skate between the legs of opponents now?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#55 p_diddy_datsyuk_13

p_diddy_datsyuk_13

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockeybladet/sverige/elitserien/modo/article6796901.ab

It's the small (5'7) skilled guy from norway that was their best player in the vancouver olympics and won the scoring title in the SEL this season. It says detroit and a few other teams have contacted him and his agent says detroit would be the best option based on how they play etc. He is a free agent that can sign anywhere he wants much like ville leino 2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_8OSil3IQQ

Like or DO Not like?

I am split here... he is obviously talented and a magician with the puck, but there are a few things against him:

1) He is 5'7" (I won't say this will preclude him from NHL success, but read the rest)
2) In that video, most of his goals are scored from within 10 feet of the goal. In not one of those videos was a defender actually covering him. In the NHL, he would have been leveled (especially at 5'7") in two thirds of those plays had he been in the NHL.
3) Those videos are from the SEL, notice, not once does a defender skate up on him, he is allowed to skate freely through neutral ice, that won't happen in the NHL.

On the other hand though, the big European ice does make him look awfuly slow, I think he is faster than it looks, and in North America, guys have more energy cause there is less space to cover. So this may not be a big issue.

The big thing is size. Zetterberg has shown that speed doesn't really matter, but at least Hank has four inches (5'11 I believe) on this kid.

I don't think it would be the worst idea to sign this kid, but only for a one year deal at an affordable rate... it is not too often that someone of his stature turns into Martin St. Louis. I don't know if anyone on here has ever heard of Corey Locke, but that kid basically led the OHL in scoring for two years, but has never made it to the NHL because of his size, and inability to adapt his game as he moves up. The smaller a player is the bigger a risk because there is a lot more adaptation involved with each level of play. Size goes with speed and good hands as some of the most important things in hockey that you can't teach, and with only one of the three, he isn't even in the Martin St. Louis category, as he is a bit slow, but he would be more of a Zetterberg, with less size.

#56 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

Only 5'7. What do we need someone to keep Hudler company when he comes back? Or do we just want to have a "Two Dwarfs and a Fin" line
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#57 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

Everything ppl are sayign in terms of adapting to the NHL and rink size etc. are true. So in those terms the risks are high that he wouldnt necessarily develop into what we, as fans, would hope. However, anytime you can acquire a player with this kind of potential without giving up any assets in return I think a team would be foolish not to pursue it. Obviously the Wings would want the kid to come over and play in GR and continue his development and learn the NA game and the Wings system. But the simple fact that if thigns don't work out all the Wings have to lose in this situation is a prospect roster spot and some small time cash I don't see a real down side what so ever.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#58 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

This is great news. After watching the Olympics, I was hoping Detroit would look into his availability. He was without a doubt Norway's best player. The puck just seemed to follow him around on the ice. He also played with an edge and didn't look out of place in high-traffic areas against NHL players.

Personally, it would be interesting to see a player the exact same height as me playing on my favorite team. Then again, I really have no excuses now for not making it all the way.

And to be honest, although he hasn't played a shift in the NHL (or even AHL) yet, I'm far more excited about the prospect of signing Zuccarello Aasen than the potential return of Jiri Hudler. Unlike Leino, this guy can skate and seems to work hard every shift. With the talent go with it, this guy could be an undrafted steal.

#59 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

I think that he is worth a shot - if he can fit in with the Wings, great, and if he plays in GR, they need all the help that they can get, esp. if Abdelkader will be moving up.

On the other hand, does anyone think that the failure of the Leino experiment (i.e. spend a year in the minors and then be a bust with the big club) might dissuade others of his type (European free agents who have options with multiple teams? Obviously, if someone refuses to do their time in the minors, they have an attitude problem, but it may tip the balance if they're choosing between multiple teams.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#60 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

It's really amazing at how, even now with how much the game has changed and focuses more on skill instead of size, that ppl still shy away from a guy because of his height. For god's sake if you can sign the guy without giving up any assets you friggin' do it
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca