• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

3D Hockey Broadcast

Rate this topic

Next Wednesday the NY Rangers are hosting the first live 3D hockey broadcast at the Theater at MSG for the game against the Isles (while the actual game is next door). I'm picking up my tix now. I'm excited to see it on the big screen too and see what it will be like now that they are starting to sell 3D TVs too. Knowing MSG the ads will be 3D too.

http://msgnyc.com/viewmsg.cfm?n35043s17069c27503913t17062

They did this in soccer and rugby a few months ago and are going to do it more regularly. i didnt get a chance to see it myself but it seems most people who did see it were impressed

a cool idea, but for 20 bucks ill take a cheap seat for a couple more bucks.

Yeah, its a different set of economics out here. I wish I could get some seats for anywhere approaching $20, but you certainly won't at the Garden or the Prudential Center. At least they have some blueshirt alumni come out and make some to do about the whole thing, including former Red Wings Ron Duguay and Adam Graves.

that's interesting. it's sometimes hard to tell where the puck is going on TV due to the lack of depth perception. Say when it flies up over the boards and into the crowd for example. On TV it looks like it can look like it's going straight up into the air. I wonder if 3D would help that.

So, the game was last night and i gotta say the 3D was pretty freakin sweet. The image was much much crisper than I thought it would be and there was no problem following the puck. The classic 45o gameplay angle wasn't spectacular, but it was actually pretty cool to see the crowd walking by and the glass in front of the play. It did make you feel like you were there. It was kind of a trip to see the cotton candy guy walking by in the foreground. I can only imagine watching the jackasses at the Joe waving at the camera in 3D. The images from the corners, on the other hand, were awesome - especially when they showed the replays of big checks in the corners right up against the glass. When the cameras zoomed in it was pretty impressive - there was one save Roloson made they replayed where the puck flipped up a couple feet in the air and he caught it in his glove that was just an awesome 3D shot. The fight between Prust and Gillies was pretty sick too. The glasses are the only inconvenience.

At the theater Messier, Richter, Graves, Duguay, and a few more Rangers spoke during TV timeouts. Bettman was there too. The crowd was rowdy and rooting just like they were in the arena next door. The game itself was over after 10 minutes, so my buddy and I just hit the bar for the 3rd (not particularly a Rangers or Isles fan). I can't say I would pay money to watch it in a theater again, but I can't wait to watch 3D Wings games in the comfort of my own home (although it will be a glacial age before Center Ice provides it).

So, the game was last night and i gotta say the 3D was pretty freakin sweet. The image was much much crisper than I thought it would be and there was no problem following the puck. The classic 45o gameplay angle wasn't spectacular, but it was actually pretty cool to see the crowd walking by and the glass in front of the play. It did make you feel like you were there. It was kind of a trip to see the cotton candy guy walking by in the foreground. I can only imagine watching the jackasses at the Joe waving at the camera in 3D. The images from the corners, on the other hand, were awesome - especially when they showed the replays of big checks in the corners right up against the glass. When the cameras zoomed in it was pretty impressive - there was one save Roloson made they replayed where the puck flipped up a couple feet in the air and he caught it in his glove that was just an awesome 3D shot. The fight between Prust and Gillies was pretty sick too. The glasses are the only inconvenience.

At the theater Messier, Richter, Graves, Duguay, and a few more Rangers spoke during TV timeouts. Bettman was there too. The crowd was rowdy and rooting just like they were in the arena next door. The game itself was over after 10 minutes, so my buddy and I just hit the bar for the 3rd (not particularly a Rangers or Isles fan). I can't say I would pay money to watch it in a theater again, but I can't wait to watch 3D Wings games in the comfort of my own home (although it will be a glacial age before Center Ice provides it).

Interesting... I haven't been keeping up with technology much, but I heard about Nintendo announcing their next handheld system with 3-D capabilities. If it is how you're talking about it, than I'll be happy to see the Nintendo 3-DS. Also mentioned was that Sony was doing the same thing with the next-gen of playstation. Could be real fun to see how it works first hand.

Interesting... I haven't been keeping up with technology much, but I heard about Nintendo announcing their next handheld system with 3-D capabilities. If it is how you're talking about it, than I'll be happy to see the Nintendo 3-DS. Also mentioned was that Sony was doing the same thing with the next-gen of playstation. Could be real fun to see how it works first hand.

If it looks anything like this...

...it could be pretty damn cool.

Yea that would be pretty sweet. It's not that sweet though. I imagine you can only do that with computer graphics. It was like movie 3d these days, but it seemed crisper than the 3D movies I have seen. They apparently also tested it out and shot the Winter Classic in 3D, and they showed some clips of it in between periods. They have some behind the scenes stuff on the MSG website.

http://msg.com/3d/