• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

On TSN right now is like the twilight zone Claude Lemiuex is sitting right beside Darren McCarty, it is a great episode of the show there talking about the Draper hit, the brawl, Lemiuex going onto the Wings bus to challenge Scotty. Ill try and find a link for it and post it or if you can look for it on later tonight.

#22 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I'm watching this right now and it is awsome, to bad there cool with eachother it seems. Wish McCarty would just start thumping him on the set lol.

#23 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Definitely some interesting insight into how things went down.

#24 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

Landsberg is a hero for orchestrating this meeting. I thought that was very well handled by both guys. I hate still Lemieux but I have at the very least gained some grains of respect for him.

#25 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

I saw the last 10 minutes, after 13 years, I don't have a problem with Mac and Claude getting along. However until Lemieux says sorry to Draper, he's scum.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#26 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Gained a lot of respect for Lemieux after this interview. Had no idea he jumped on the Wings bus to challenge Scotty,hahaha.

The late 90's was such a great time, 2 great rivalries at their peak, Wings vs Avs and WCW vs WWF.

#27 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

Had no idea he jumped on the Wings bus to challenge Scotty,hahaha.

That's what Lemieux did, he picked on guys either smaller or a lot older than he was. When someone his own size and age took him on, he turtled.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#28 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

I think i get that channel on Directv, but i dont know the channels very well, there are way to many of them. Any other Directv members out there that could shed some light on it for me?

I wish I could help. We have Directv and all the Fox sports channels, plus Center Ice, and we don't get TSN, except when Center Ice uses their feed for a game. I've emailed them about that, but so far, no such luck. If the interview is shown later - even on YouTube, could somebody put it on here, please? Mac remains one of my favorite players. Thanks.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#29 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Just watched it on tsn.ca, really interesting interview.

Go to http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip278196 , click on video library and scroll down to Off the Record and it's the interview under March 18th.

Better yet here's a direct link http://watch.tsn.ca/...-18/#clip278020

#30 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

That was a great watch. I hate that Mac was cut off when he was gonna talk about what Lemieux said to him in Dallas though.

#31 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Go to http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip278196 , click on video library and scroll down to Off the Record and it's the interview under March 18th.

this is awesome, thanks alot for posting this.

#32 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

Lemieux still makes me sick. I have gained no respect for him after tonight, but don't have a problem with anyone who has.

Just my personal opinion.

Edit: I can't get over the things Lemieux said in the 1996-97 season about making Draper a household name and a $100,000. He's still a piece of trash!

Edited by Barrie, 18 March 2010 - 07:32 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#33 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

It feels good to be vindicated - I said all along that 1) Mac suckered Claude, and 2) that Claude didn't turtle, his bell was rung and he went down from the suckerpunch. Both of those things were talked about tonight, Mac had no problem with it - he even said that the suckerpunch he landed to the side of Claude's head was among the hardest punches he ever threw.

It was a great interview, I really enjoyed the insight that both guys offered. They seemed to agree, that men who land that kind of shot should expect to have to answer to the other team's toughguy. Both guys were known as being pricks on the ice but they seem like class acts here.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#34 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

It feels good to be vindicated - I said all along that 1) Mac suckered Claude, and 2) that Claude didn't turtle, his bell was rung and he went down from the suckerpunch. Both of those things were talked about tonight, Mac had no problem with it - he even said that the suckerpunch he landed to the side of Claude's head was among the hardest punches he ever threw.

It was a great interview, I really enjoyed the insight that both guys offered. They seemed to agree, that men who land that kind of shot should expect to have to answer to the other team's toughguy. Both guys were known as being pricks on the ice but they seem like class acts here.

Couldn't agree with you more. I give them both MAJOR props for, not only not killing each other, but for being SO civil. I would never guess they had that huge rivalry based on how they talked to each other. Great interview.

#35 Grinder_25

Grinder_25

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

That was a great watch. I hate that Mac was cut off when he was gonna talk about what Lemieux said to him in Dallas though.

I heard he said something about Darren's addictions and that he was glad to see him beat it and back in hockey.

#36 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

I saw the last 10 minutes, after 13 years, I don't have a problem with Mac and Claude getting along. However until Lemieux says sorry to Draper, he's scum.

^ This x 1000.

Lemieux shouldn't apologize for playing a rough and tough game and all that jazz, and perhaps not apologize for wanting to play aggressive and hit Draper in that specific play. I'd love an apology though for denting his face up ridiculously. That's all.

He was one of the best clutch playoff performers in recent history, but a part of me just will always thinks he's a pretty big s.o.b.

There have been other dispicable acts more/less that have severely injured players obviously - McSorely on Brashear, Bertuzzi on Moore, etc. I'm not interested in debating the severity of these hits or examples against one another, that's not the point. All of the examples above are inexcusable. At least for the Bertuzzi incident, he manned up and apologized. That's why I hold no ill will towards him and don't mind him being with the Wings and stuff. Never heard or read of the same from the other examples.

I would love to sit down with Lemieux though to a drink or a chit-chat or whatever to know some of his intentions with the rivalry, the hit on Draper, whether he is really sorry, etc.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 18 March 2010 - 08:24 PM.

#37 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

I wouldn't sit down with Claude Lemieux, unless it was to throw a drink in his face and then walk out.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#38 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

I wouldn't sit down with Claude Lemieux, unless it was to throw a drink in his face and then walk out.

Why walk out? Simply because there's no other reason to be there? Or because you think he'll come after you? I'm thinking that he can't really do the latter.

#39 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

I love the part that goes something like this: "Darren, would you liked to have Claude as a team mate in 98?" "D-Mac: Absolutely Not".
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

I just watched that and it was like an out of body experience.

From watching it I don't think LaPhew thinks he did anything wrong when he hit Draper. Just hockey.

I give them both props for agreeing to do this together, though I expected a brawl to break out anytime.:hehe:

******* awesome interview.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen