• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AIK'91

The Weather and Playoff Hockey

Rate this topic

I'm still pretty new here, so hopefully I'm not breaking an unwritten rule by creating a new topic--and a relatively irrelevant one at that.

Anyways, in the past few days of Spring-like weather, every time I step outside, my mind immediately races to playoff hockey. Although we're obviously still battling for the playoffs this year, I was wondering if this happens to anyone else.

Walking around campus today, it's like I often almost automatically start thinking about when the next playoff game begins. Then, of course, I realize it's only March. However, this is the first time I have ever lived outside of the metro-Detroit area (I go to college near Chicago), and I sadly realized I won't have anyone to take in and enjoy each and every game with.

I guess that's why I joined this forum. To talk about hockey. Maybe not with live people, but at least with people that share a passion for the game of hockey. So I suppose what started out as a discussion about the correlation between the weather and playoff hockey has become an acknowledgment of our mutual bond. Hockey is such a niche sport that there aren't many casual fans to discuss it with. Before that used to bug me; but now, I can't say I mind much. When you talk with a hockey fan, like on these forums, you know you're likely talking to a die-hard follower of the game. That's why, to me, we're the greatest fans of the greatest sport in the world. So, in essence, thanks. Thanks for being hockey fans. I look forward to discussing whatever the Wings hold in store for us from here on out.

(And now after rambling about nothing, I have to go back to studying for my final tomorrow)

I'm with you on this one, the weather just feels like April. I've even started wearing my Wings hat in hopes of a strong finish. Little bit of superstition, but whatever makes me feel like a part of the team I guess.

I'm with you on this one, the weather just feels like April. I've even started wearing my Wings hat in hopes of a strong finish. Little bit of superstition, but whatever makes me feel like a part of the team I guess.

Me too... the last two days I have wore a Red Wings shirt and the 2008 stanley cup hat... I can't help it, it feels like that time of the year... The more you think about it, the more you realize how amazing it is to have playoff hockey apart of our lives every year, especially living in metro-detroit. Everybody lives for red wings playoff hockey around here, and it is very apparent. Like during game 7 last year, the roads and businesses were dead, and everywhere you went you could see red and white... it really is something special being a Wings fan. March Madness is cool and everything, but I can't wait until April and the NHL playoffs start. Greatest part of the year IMO. GO WINGS!

Absolutely. I always get excited for playoffs on the first nice week and wear my Red Wings gear more often than not. I've noticed too that tons of people on campus have been dressing up for the Wings this week. And usually when I'm running I have on my typical workout songs on my ipod. But the last couple days I have been working out to my Wings playoff gameday playlist. This happens every year for me and I'm sure it happens for most fans.

Ah yes, I love the time of year when I can go outside, inhale and say "Ahh... it smells like the playoffs." Usually that doesn't happen until April, so it's a little odd to be saying that now. Hopefully in April it will still be true. :) I think we can make it. :thumbup:

And welcome to the boards, by the way. :)

Edited by wingsgirl001

Ah yes, I love the time of year when I can go outside, inhale and say "Ahh... it smells like the playoffs." Usually that doesn't happen until April, so it's a little odd to be saying that now. Hopefully in April it will still be true. :) I think we can make it. :thumbup:

And welcome to the boards, by the way. :)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who felt this way when the weather changes.

Anyways, in the past few days of Spring-like weather, every time I step outside, my mind immediately races to playoff hockey. Although we're obviously still battling for the playoffs this year, I was wondering if this happens to anyone else.

I was thinking the same thing. I've been wearing shorts the last couple days and thinking Baseball. Then I thought, "Wow, there's still almost a month left in the NHL season, and then the Playoffs!"

Ah yes, I love the time of year when I can go outside, inhale and say "Ahh... it smells like the playoffs."

I get that too, but it's the smell of the Baseball season starting. Same smell though!

Edited by Barrie

playoff hockey is good, hope the wings keep up the way they have been playing.

lately tigers baseball/baseball in general is on my mind.

Baseball has been on my mind too. I've never really been into it, but it would be nice to have a sport to follow during the off season. Hockey has always been the only one I cared for.

I keep thinking the playoffs should have already started. I think it's because these last few weeks everyone has been talking about whether or not the Wings will make the playoffs. Usually it's "alright, bring on the playoffs" right now for the Wings with no questions asked. This year is throwing my groove off.

And again, welcome to LGW!