• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

What is either a trade, free agent acquisition or draft pick which the Wings have made that you were super hyped about, but which turned out to be a bust?

For me, it'd be the Derian Hatcher signing. I remember being super hyped about us signing a big physical D-man, unlike any that we'd had before. Also, at that time Hatcher was still an All-Star calibur player and long-time Dallas captain.

I thought it would make us exponentially better and tougher, but we all know how that turned out with his injury and then the lockout.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

when the wings got robert lang, he was supposed to be really great and help the wings...instead we got a lazy floater and lost fleishmann.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#3 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Curtis Joseph, I thought he was a pretty good goalie and well uhhhhhhh no.

#4 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

Uwe Krupp, Ray Whitney
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#5 grsbmd

grsbmd

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

when the wings got robert lang, he was supposed to be really great and help the wings...instead we got a lazy floater and lost fleishmann.

That and the draft pick that would go on to be Mike Green.
Stanley Cup to Detroit (e5)

#6 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Ville Leino. Sure I didn't expect him to put out like he did last year, but he really was a disappointment.

#7 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

How do you even know if the Wings could of picked Green?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#8 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hossa. Period.

The guy was great during the regular season, so powerful. But then the playoffs... yuck. Invisible most nights in the second season and you got the sense that while he played out of his mind with Pittsburgh the playoffs before this time around he thought the team would just win him a cup. He had his good games, granted, and its probably just because the wound is still fresh, but going from "OMG HOSSA!!! :yowza: " in July 2008 to "OMG... HOSSA? :nonono:" in June 2009 was definitely high to low.

Not that I would consider this a huge failure in the same sense as Cujo, Hatcher, or even Lang, but he really changed the culture of the team when he came from a Jennings winner to a defensive sieve.

Edited by b.shanafan14, 19 March 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#9 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

How do you even know if the Wings could of picked Green?

They wouldn't have picked him, but he would have been available.
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#10 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

well that made me feel even better that we got floatsky instead of fleishmann and green. :angry:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#11 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

Brendan Shanahan - I was really excited to get a player like him, but he never really worked out that well for the Wings.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#12 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:50 PM

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#13 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

haha...wow. I just looked up the 2004 Draft to see who the Wings could have taken with that Green pick, and this guy was drafted by Dallas five picks later:

http://en.wikipedia..../Johan_Fransson

#14 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

2003 playoffs: 4 GP, 0 W, 2.08 GAA, .917 Sv%
2004 playoffs: 9 GP, 4 W, 1.39 GAA, .939 Sv%

Hossa was a player I was so excited for, and his play in the regular season was amazing. When it came to the playoffs, he was a real disappointment, and with him playing to his potential the Wings would be Stanley Cup champs.

Posted Image

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

Uwe Krupp, Ray Whitney

:blink:

You mean you were actually excited about us signing Uwe Krupp?

Before that season, we had signed Hasek, Hull and Robitaille, so Krupp was hardly on anyone's mind as a big help.

#16 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Brendan Shanahan - I was really excited to get a player like him, but he never really worked out that well for the Wings.

633 pts in 9 years from 96-97 to 05-06 and 3 stanley cups...yup, he sure didn't help the wings at all. you are inf***ingsane!

#17 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

You mean you were actually excited about us signing Uwe Krupp?

Before that season, we had signed Hasek, Hull and Robitaille, so Krupp was hardly on anyone's mind as a big help.

He signed with the Wings in 98. Two years after he scored the Stanley Cup goal with the Avs.

#18 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

I remember being really excited to get Bill Ranford but he bit it hard. Maybe Luc Robitaille also, I always liked Luc but he never really found his spot like I'd hoped for in Detroit... I think he was always a King at heart anyway.

Edited by The Secret, 19 March 2010 - 01:00 PM.

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

He signed with the Wings in 98. Two years after he scored the Stanley Cup goal with the Avs.

I was referring to his 2002 stint with the Wings.

I think he left for a few years before he came back in 2002. Even the 1998 signing wouldn't have been that much of a splash. Krupp is German for crap.

#20 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

I remember being really excited to get Bill Ranford but he bit it hard. Maybe Luc Robitaille also, I always liked Luc but he never really found his spot like I'd hoped for in Detroit... I think he was always a King at heart anyway.

Theres a good one... Ranford was kinda a let down...

Doc, thanks for posting the stats of CuJo... I can't believe how ignorant some people are about CuJo just because we didn't win a cup... which if anyone should be bitter, it's CuJo... the team cost him a cup, because he did everything he could have...

Edited by stevkrause, 19 March 2010 - 01:07 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.