• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Wings Transactions You Loved Which Unfortunately Failed

Rate this topic

What is either a trade, free agent acquisition or draft pick which the Wings have made that you were super hyped about, but which turned out to be a bust?

For me, it'd be the Derian Hatcher signing. I remember being super hyped about us signing a big physical D-man, unlike any that we'd had before. Also, at that time Hatcher was still an All-Star calibur player and long-time Dallas captain.

I thought it would make us exponentially better and tougher, but we all know how that turned out with his injury and then the lockout.

when the wings got robert lang, he was supposed to be really great and help the wings...instead we got a lazy floater and lost fleishmann.

That and the draft pick that would go on to be Mike Green.

Hossa. Period.

The guy was great during the regular season, so powerful. But then the playoffs... yuck. Invisible most nights in the second season and you got the sense that while he played out of his mind with Pittsburgh the playoffs before this time around he thought the team would just win him a cup. He had his good games, granted, and its probably just because the wound is still fresh, but going from "OMG HOSSA!!! :yowza: " in July 2008 to "OMG... HOSSA? :nonono:" in June 2009 was definitely high to low.

Not that I would consider this a huge failure in the same sense as Cujo, Hatcher, or even Lang, but he really changed the culture of the team when he came from a Jennings winner to a defensive sieve.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Curtis Joseph, I thought he was a pretty good goalie and well uhhhhhhh no.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

Curtis Joseph, I thought he was a pretty good goalie and well uhhhhhhh no.

2003 playoffs: 4 GP, 0 W, 2.08 GAA, .917 Sv%

2004 playoffs: 9 GP, 4 W, 1.39 GAA, .939 Sv%

Hossa was a player I was so excited for, and his play in the regular season was amazing. When it came to the playoffs, he was a real disappointment, and with him playing to his potential the Wings would be Stanley Cup champs.

:blink:

You mean you were actually excited about us signing Uwe Krupp?

Before that season, we had signed Hasek, Hull and Robitaille, so Krupp was hardly on anyone's mind as a big help.

He signed with the Wings in 98. Two years after he scored the Stanley Cup goal with the Avs.

I remember being really excited to get Bill Ranford but he bit it hard. Maybe Luc Robitaille also, I always liked Luc but he never really found his spot like I'd hoped for in Detroit... I think he was always a King at heart anyway.

Edited by The Secret

He signed with the Wings in 98. Two years after he scored the Stanley Cup goal with the Avs.

I was referring to his 2002 stint with the Wings.

I think he left for a few years before he came back in 2002. Even the 1998 signing wouldn't have been that much of a splash. Krupp is German for crap.

I remember being really excited to get Bill Ranford but he bit it hard. Maybe Luc Robitaille also, I always liked Luc but he never really found his spot like I'd hoped for in Detroit... I think he was always a King at heart anyway.

Theres a good one... Ranford was kinda a let down...

Doc, thanks for posting the stats of CuJo... I can't believe how ignorant some people are about CuJo just because we didn't win a cup... which if anyone should be bitter, it's CuJo... the team cost him a cup, because he did everything he could have...

Edited by stevkrause

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

+1

Shanny and Cujo were never lets downs/failures. Lang and or Luc, they struggled, but still put up points, not a fail.

The Krupp/Hatcher scenarios, oh yeah, no doubt.

Recently in the last 2 years? The whole Fabian Brunstrom in/out and Ville Leino "I am going back to Europe" if I do not get to play in the NHL and gets his way and "s***s the bed."

Ericsson if he does not turn his play around... So much damn potential in that one, but....

Theres a good one... Ranford was kinda a let down...

Doc, thanks for posting the stats of CuJo... I can't believe how ignorant some people are about CuJo just because we didn't win a cup... which if anyone should be bitter, it's CuJo... the team cost him a cup, because he did everything he could have...

I'm with you... I Loved Cujo and thought he stood on his head for us. It was not his fault the team couldn't score!

633 pts in 9 years from 96-97 to 05-06 and 3 stanley cups...yup, he sure didn't help the wings at all. you are inf***ingsane!

Call me crazy.. but i think juuust maybe, maaaaaybbbe, and thats a stretch, that he's being sarcastic...

Edited by stevieisthebest