73 replies to this topic

#41 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hossa.

Before I get attacked, I mean "failed" in the sense that the team didn't win the cup for whatever reason. LGW went nuts over that seemingly impossible trade.

Not attacking you, but I firmly belive that if the 08-09 team was as health in the PO's as the 07-08 one was, and if Malkin was as hurt as we was earlier, we would have won easily. Datsyuk at 60% and Hossa at 70% was a huge blow, and we never had to deal with Malkin the year before.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#42 Taylorov

Taylorov

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Ulf Samuelsson, I even had his jersey made. :thumbdown:

#43 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

getting rid of Avery, if he would have stayed a wing he could not only be a better player, but he would keep his edge on the ice the same but he would act more professionaly off the ice. I believe he could be a 20 goal scorer every season if he was still here, and he would add toughness and get into the other teams heads.

#44 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

getting rid of Avery, if he would have stayed a wing he could not only be a better player, but he would keep his edge on the ice the same but he would act more professionaly off the ice. I believe he could be a 20 goal scorer every season if he was still here, and he would add toughness and get into the other teams heads.

See the NFL's "Terrell Owens" rule about changing a person's habits. Not a chance.

#45 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

What is either a trade, free agent acquisition or draft pick which the Wings have made that you were super hyped about, but which turned out to be a bust?

For me, it'd be the Derian Hatcher signing. I remember being super hyped about us signing a big physical D-man, unlike any that we'd had before. Also, at that time Hatcher was still an All-Star calibur player and long-time Dallas captain.

I thought it would make us exponentially better and tougher, but we all know how that turned out with his injury and then the lockout.

Hatcher for me as well; would've been solid however he tore his ACL early in the season, and unlike the Mule he never got back into game shape when we had him...Uwe Krupp - 'nuff said...Both Ulfie, and Wendel were unfortunately past their expiration dates.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#46 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Wendel Clark 4 or 5 years too late. Would've been dece to have him added in the mix earlier.

#NOMOREKINDL

#47 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

Ray Whitney, to echo the sentiments of other people. He was great with, was it Columbus? Then he turned into a non-factor here, then goes to Carolina and is a huge presence and actually looks much different. Like the Hatcher situation, coming here was probably not good for this team nor Whitney.

I think it was an ice time thing with Ray. As I said earlier I never understood why we signed him. I was happy giving Draper, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk more ice time with Fedorov bolting to Anaheim.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

Kory Kocur and Curtis Bowen.

LOL - many posters here are probably too young to remember these guys...Neither had a snowballs chance in :devil: of making the Red Wings.

#49 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

Theres a good one... Ranford was kinda a let down...

Not trying to derail the topic here, but was he the last known goalie to play in the NHL that was truly a "Stand-Up" style netminder?

I honestly can't think of anyone else that played that style in the past 10 to 15 years.

#50 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,961 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

* Bringing Hasek back the 2nd time.

*K.P. over Jagr or Broduer (add Jagr and we have at least one more cup, add Broduer we have at least 3 more)

*Oates for nothing

*Letting Quincy go (though at the time I could understand why) for nothing. It sucks he became a good player, but we could have at least gotten a draft pick (at the time I was mad about that).

I think you missed the spirit of the thread.

I was talking about transactions you liked which turned out as failures.

If the thread was just about transactions you hated from the beginning, every post would be half a page long.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#51 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

Not to sway the thread but every time it comes up it is depressing to think we chose Primeau ahead of Jagr, Hatcher, Tkachuk, and Brodeur.

Ok back on topic....

Actually, just to go off the grid and go opposite of the topic (A transaction that I hated the Wings made and was thrilled that failed) was CORY CROSS
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#52 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,961 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

Not to sway the thread but every time it comes up it is depressing to think we chose Primeau ahead of Jagr, Hatcher, Tkachuk, and Brodeur.

Ok back on topic....

Actually, just to go off the grid and go opposite of the topic (A transaction that I hated the Wings made and was thrilled that failed) was CORY CROSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PSs8Kq6C4

You call this failure?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 19 March 2010 - 04:28 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#53 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

Kory Kocur and Curtis Bowen.

lol i just found a Kory Kocur hockey card the other day...weird

Not trying to derail the topic here, but was he the last known goalie to play in the NHL that was truly a "Stand-Up" style netminder?

I honestly can't think of anyone else that played that style in the past 10 to 15 years.

basically any goalie in the late 90s other than Roy. Somewhere around that time is when they all started to go to the butterfly.

No Primeau = no Shanahan.
Jagr would have been a slight upgrade over him but i can live with that but Brodeur....i could lose sleep over that.

Edited by Original-Six, 19 March 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#54 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

Jagr would be been a slight upgrade over him but i can live with that but Brodeur....i could lose sleep over that.

Yup, we made the right pick with Primeau.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#55 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

I was referring to his 2002 stint with the Wings.

I think he left for a few years before he came back in 2002. Even the 1998 signing wouldn't have been that much of a splash. Krupp is German for crap.

What really happened was..... Krupp signed a big deal in the summer of '98. It was either going to be him or Jyrki Lumme, and at the time Krupp was the better choice. They were still trying to fill the void left after the Konstantinov accident. Unfortunately, he got injured early in the '98/'99 season and ended up getting caught dog sledding while he was supposed to be hurt. The team suspended him after that, and pretty much replaced him when they acquired Chelios at the deadline that year. Krupp missed the following 2 seasons. However, Bowman always had a thing for Krupp since he drafted him for Buffalo back in the 80's and they reinstated him for the last year of his contract which was '01/'02. He played 8 games missing most of the year hurt (again), but this time he didn't dog sled and Bowman had him penned for the playoff line-up in the first round. He played in those first 2 games that we lost to Vancouver, and he was atrocious. He was either -4 or -5, I can't remember. He really s*** the bed, as he was on the ice for just about all of Vancouvers goals. He was scratched the rest of the playoffs and Olausson was put in his place, even when Fischer missed the Stanley Cup clinching game, they dressed Jiri Slegr over Krupp.

That would have to be one of my biggest failed transaction. I was excited to see Krupp come to Detroit after watching him play with Colorado. The fact that he was 6'6" was the coolest thing to me when I was 11 years old.

Another one was Wendell Clark. I thought he was going be an awesome fit in Detroit, but didn't really make a mark. Actually, all of the players we got during Hollands deadline explosion of '99 save for Chelios, didn't work out. Ranford ended up s***ting the bed hardcore against Colorado, and we barely got to see much from Samuelsson.

I never really liked CuJo in Detroit. After Hasek retired, I was really pulling for Ed Belfour. I thought he would've been a better fit for Detroit. He ended up replacing CuJo in Toronto and fared a lot better.

Another one was Manny Legace. I wasn't jumping for joy when we first got him, but when he finally became our starting goalie I was really pulling for him. It's too bad he had a horrible attitude.

Ville Leino is another one. He looked good during the regular season last year, albeit a little lost during the playoffs. But what an utter disapointment he was this season.

I'm going to catch s*** for this one... but Brad Norton. I thought it was interesting when he made the team out of camp after Detroit had been beat up so bad the year before, and then he gets hurt while fighting 6 games in and was replaced by Filppula. Once again making the team a bunch of wimps.

Igor Grigorenko coming over seemed exciting at the time, but he ended up looking awful. Holland even said he'd give him a qualifier so he could come to camp the next year, but he ended up blowing it in Russia too and they just let him go. It was a shame, when he was drafted he had Datsyuk potential. Unfortunately, the accident he had crippled that.

Edited by DSM, 19 March 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#56 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

Jagr would have been a slight upgrade over him but i can live with that but Brodeur....i could lose sleep over that.

We never would have been able to hold onto Jagr on a team with the firepower and leadership we had. I know there is a lot of love for him on these boards, but let's face it... if Fedorov was a lockerroom distraction, I can't imagine what Jagr would've done for chemistry -- my guess is be traded away. I'm glad we picked Primeau over him, in retrospect.

Hatcher and Tkachuk...eh, I think we made the right choice once it played out. All three were solid performers in their time. I might give the edge to any one of these three in a given year of their primes.

The Brodeur thing, though. Man. Can you imagine how different our team would have looked with someone like Marty backing? It's hard to say that things would have worked out "better," but they certainly would have looked a lot different with one of the best ever in net. That's like some bizarro world type stuff right there. Chances are, we would have won our cups with him, but never would the lineups and systems we've lauded for the past 15 years been a responsible strategy with him as our last line of defense. Would we have adopted a puck possession game? Would the Russian Five have ever been? Would we have had to have traded someone like Nick at the advent of the salary cap? The mind boggles.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#57 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:33 PM

That whole Gordie Howe signing. Still pisses me off!

Posted Image

#58 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

Brendan Shanahan - I was really excited to get a player like him, but he never really worked out that well for the Wings.

Your kidding right?!
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#59 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

Ray Whitney.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#60 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

I gotta go with Robitaille also. He used us to get a cup, okay I get it. Maybe we used him to get a cup as well. But he never really was a Red Wing, never embraced it like Hull seemed to. He just never fit in and then *poof* was back to Hollywood.
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "