• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blueliner

Ryan Kesler signs 6-year/$30 million deal with Canucks

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

Have really enjoyed watching Kesler blossom from his junior days til now. Vancouver has a franchise player who works his ass off and plays in every situation locked up for a good amount of years now. Good for them and Kesler.

Edited by Shoreline

Come on guys! Kessler is a great energy guy with good skating skills and soft hands, but really is he a 5 million a year guy? IMO, No way. These type of over inflated contracts are what kills the league. Bad contract.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Come on guys! Kessler is a great energy guy with good skating skills and soft hands, but really is he a 5 million a year guy? IMO, No way. These type of over inflated contracts are what kills the league. Bad contract.

He is 25 and is just hitting his prime. He very easily could develop into a ppg player and this contract has him for the majority of his prime. Imo in a few years it will be a bargain.

Guest Shoreline

You must not watch Kesler very often nor know what he means to that franchise to merit 5m/season. All stars make over 7, 8, and 9m a season. His pay is right on par with his performance and value.

He is 25 and is just hitting his prime. He very easily could develop into a ppg player and this contract has him for the majority of his prime. Imo in a few years it will be a bargain.

They hope that will be a bargain but come on man, 5 million is only going to be a bargain if he's a top 10 player in the league.

His full seasons so far: 23pts/16pts/37pts/59pts/66pts(on pace for 75 in 82 games) The 16pts season is the only one where he didn't play at least 80 games.

So he's got 86g 120a 206pts in 391 career NHL games. That's a 0.53 ppg career rating.

And he's locked in for 6 years at 5 million a season?

I'm sorry but that's a gamble man. He very well could end up being a ppg player-- he definitely has that potential, but he will most likely end up being a 60-70pt guy who does all the little things right. That's worth a bit less than 5 million but it wouldn't be devistating for the Canucks if this was the peak of his potential. The biggest danger is that this season doesn't represent the norm and he'll fall down to the 60pt level or even drop below it. At least he does all the other things really well.

I can't help but think that he's cashing in on a career year. There's no doubt that he has the potential to get better, I think you have to treat guys in this situation with a bit more caution-- the NHL is littered with players who had career years, cashed in and declined.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

They hope that will be a bargain but come on man, 5 million is only going to be a bargain if he's a top 10 player in the league.

His full seasons so far: 23pts/16pts/37pts/59pts/66pts(on pace for 75 in 82 games) The 16pts season is the only one where he didn't play at least 80 games.

So he's got 86g 120a 206pts in 391 career NHL games. That's a 0.53 ppg career rating.

And he's locked in for 6 years at 5 million a season?

I'm sorry but that's a gamble man. He very well could end up being a ppg player-- he definitely has that potential, but he will most likely end up being a 60-70pt guy who does all the little things right. That's worth a bit less than 5 million but it wouldn't be devistating for the Canucks if this was the peak of his potential. The biggest danger is that this season doesn't represent the norm and he'll fall down to the 60pt level or even drop below it. At least he does all the other things really well.

I can't help but think that he's cashing in on a career year. There's no doubt that he has the potential to get better, I think you have to treat guys in this situation with a bit more caution-- the NHL is littered with players who had career years, cashed in and declined.

1st bolded part: This is ridiculously untrue.

2nd Bolded Part: Irrelevant numbers, only truly elite players in this league start lighting it up at 21, and the past 2 years are the only one's he has consistantly been in the top 6. You're better than that Drake.

Please explain to me how paying for his high end potential is any diffirent than what K.H. did with Filppula. Even if he is only a 65-70 point player, that in my books is worth 5 Million a season when factoring in his stellar defensive play.

Guest Shoreline

Kesler's value isn't only his point production. If you look at NHL.com stats you wouldn't figure this out, nor his leadership value and the attention he gets, which increases his stock and the amount that other teams would pay him, thus, in realizing what they have, Vancouver does what they need to do to lock him up. I wouldn't say the Canucks are gambling on one season (more like two), or even say they are gambling at all, but protecting an asset that has steadily been climbing in value, and, as far as being a player goes, has great diversity instead of being a one-trick pony. Since people here like player comparisons, we'll go with Jonathan Toews, except his leadership role developing a bit slower. Unless he has some catastrophic lapse of judgment and either sucks or does something Sean Avery style, Kesler will be the captain of the Canucks when Luongo gives it up.

Edited by Shoreline

Please explain to me how paying for his high end potential is any diffirent than what K.H. did with Filppula. Even if he is only a 65-70 point player, that in my books is worth 5 Million a season when factoring in his stellar defensive play.

Im a big fan of Kesler's but to me $5M is a lot. It's true that in principle the Ken Holland did the same thing with Filppula. But you have to admit, a $3M/yr cap hit is a smaller gamble than a $5M/yr cap hit. PLus, it's one year shorter but that's nit picking.

Kesler has higher offensive upside than Filppula but when you really compare the numbers, at the moment maybe not so much:

2006-07 Vancouver Canucks NHL 48 6 10 16

2007-08 Vancouver Canucks NHL 80 21 16 37

2008-09 Vancouver Canucks NHL 82 26 33 59

2009-10 Vancouver Canucks NHL 71 21 45 66

2006-07 Detroit Red Wings NHL 73 10 7 17

2007-08 Detroit Red Wings NHL 78 19 17 36

2008-09 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 12 28 40

2009-10 Detroit Red Wings NHL 42 7 19 26

Kesler's emergence has shown over this and last season, while Filppula was pushed down the depth chart with the Hossa signing and was riddled with an injury this year. I am by no means saying Filppula is at the same level offensively as Kesler, or ever will be, and they are now being paid accordingly but I think the point is that their contracts are both gambles but to far different degrees.

Both players have great defensive capabilities and both bring a lot to the table other than offense. Both have big game (Olympic) experience and both should be big pieces to the future of their franchises. Personally I'm more comfortable with FIlppula's cap hit but if I'm the GM of the Canucks I know I gotta sign Kesler.

Plus, the one thing that you gotta love about those stats is the 26 goals Kesler has scored. He's a three time 20 goal guy and he's only going to continue to improve. Once he turns into a 30 goal 70-75 point guy who does everything else as well as he already does I think in a lot of ways he can be worthy of that contract. But a gambles still a gamble...

Not to bash Flip but I'm sure more people would take the gamble with the Kesler signing at 5 million a year then Filppula's contract.

Kesler is a top 3 forward in Vancouver and is still very young but shows a lot more potential. The heck Vancouver fans will be happy in the following year unless there's a major injury which could happen to anyone.

And people say Filppula is overpaid... xD

He is a little overpaid but the good part is his only 26 and his prime is right about here.

If next season his production doesn't boom out look for a trade. I like the kid but his all ready a little late.

At 25 - 26 Zetts was putting numbers past the 60 to 80

At 25 - 26 Dats was putting numbers past the 60 to 80

At 26 - Filppula has put up 26 points in 43 games.

Let's be honest we we're all expecting more from Filppula, at least a 60 points scorer / season. His best season thus far is 40 points in 80 games which isn't that bad but must be much better then that.

And people say Filppula is overpaid... xD

And I can't believe Filppula is being brought up in the same thread as Kesler. The only thing Kesler and Filppula have in common is that you can use the same scale to determine that Kesler is much better.

And I can't believe Filppula is being brought up in the same thread as Kesler. The only thing Kesler and Filppula have in common is that you can use the same scale to determine that Kesler is much better.

Both can be weighed in pounds and kilograms and both were born in 1984. What am I saying? You're right, they don't have much in common.

Im happy he didnt come here, as a Canadian I dont like Kesler either.

That would be fine if you were actually basing your comment on what he said and not on what you think he said.

Both can be weighed in pounds and kilograms and both were born in 1984. What am I saying? You're right, they don't have much in common.

I've been trumped. And they're both made of carbon and water and other stuff. :yowza:

That would be fine if you were actually basing your comment on what he said and not on what you think he said.

I've been trumped. And they're both made of carbon and water and other stuff. :yowza:

:lol: They each have medals from the 2010 Olympics and both are centremen. What else? I am sure they both like eating steak too.

Say that to RedWingsAbner who used Kesler's enrty-level contract as an example to prove why Filppula is overpaid.