• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
interminded

Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous ?

Rate this topic

Guest lilja4mvp

Based off what? His last start two months ago?

his last 70 regular season games.

"bubububububububu PLAYOFF OZZIE!"...playoffs are irrelevant if we don't make them. osgood has been terrible in the last 2 regular seasons. that is a fact, not an opinion. obviously babcock sees it the same way.

If we can clinch before the final game or the Flames clinch Ozzie will get his start.

I wondered about this too, but I'm thinking that the excuse then would be that they're trying to keep Howard in a groove for the playoffs.

To me, that actually seems like it might be an even bigger slap in the face to only play him when (if) we're clinched, but that's just my opinion.

his last 70 regular season games.

"bubububububububu PLAYOFF OZZIE!"...playoffs are irrelevant if we don't make them. osgood has been terrible in the last 2 regular seasons. that is a fact, not an opinion. obviously babcock sees it the same way.

If the organization genuinely saw it that way, they should have made a deal for a backup goalie. If they really think that their current backup can't start against the Oilers, then that's a hole they needed to fill before the trade deadline.

+1 to those who said Ozzie in Edmonton and Howard in Vancouver.

All factors aside, you must give backup goalie some time between the pipes and that was the perfect time to. Babcock is losing my support and if we don't make it into 8th spot, you've got to ask whether we rode the rookie pony too much.

I wondered about this too, but I'm thinking that the excuse then would be that they're trying to keep Howard in a groove for the playoffs.

To me, that actually seems like it might be an even bigger slap in the face to only play him when (if) we're clinched, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe not even clinched. If we get up 4 points on them maybe even then.

It makes perfect sense. We're trying to make the playoffs. I would rather go into the playoffs with a tired Howard than not go into the playoffs at all. I'm guessing this is Babcocks line of thought - Do I want to start a tired Howie in the playoffs, or do i want to go golfing in April? The days are gone when we could have our cake and eat it too. :(

That being said, I do feel bad for Oz. He's still awesomely awesome in my eyes.

Edited by RedWingedKitten

Babcock just hasn't done a good job of coaching this season, most glaringly with this goaltending fiasco.

If Howard plays every game the rest of the way and we make the playoffs, what then? Are we going to play a tired Howard in the playoffs, or give Ozzie a playoff start after not having played for 2 months?

Babcock should have played Ozzie last night and Howard tonight. Instead, he keeps piling on starts on his tired rookie goaltender.

Also, you have to wonder what effect this is having on the rest of the team. They're not robots, so this has to be getting to their heads too.

Why is he going to be tired? And how do you figure he IS tired? He had a two week break, and just had a four day break. Plus, it's not like he is a 20yr old rookie. He's 25 about to turn 26 in a week.

Last 4 seasons

Rookie Pro: 55 Games played

2nd year pro: 56 Games played

3rd year pro: 58 games played

last year: 56 Games played

This year: At 52 games. He should finish the regular season around 63-64 games played. He won't be tired until we hit the second round or so, if he even does become fatigued, baring that we make the playoffs of course.

I believe the goalie situation has been handle poorly this season. Jimmy was on earlier in the season, but he's been inconsistant since the break. He maybe young and can handle the workload like Marty does, but one thing that people totally under estimate...no it's not physical toughness, it's mental toughness. A couple of bad games for a rookie, especially one he maybe resposible for (bad goals)...they start to add up, and doubt sets in.

Babcock should have rested Howie a few games when he was ON, not when he's slumping, but even so, the kid isn't getting a break when he's slumping.

That will have a lasting effect for the rest of the season, garanteed. With that doubt/question in the back of his head...going into the play-offs, if we get there, will spell doom for the kid...most likely be branded a "he's a good goalie who isn't a pressure player". Once that stigma sticks, it's hard not to think about it. This is where Ozzie, IMO, will probably be one of the best goalies in modern hockey. Sure he's a small guy (less net covered), sure he's not as athletic due to the fact he's been a stand-up goalie for 95% of his career (which I might add going butterfly was a bad idea for him...that's just me, though), but the man has heart AND has mental toughness like no other. Nothing bothers this guy, be from critics or fans. When they doubt him, he has the mental toughness to prove people wrong (which you would think people on this board, and most of the fans in general whould learn to never count him out...he's proven people wrong so many times in his career). This is why he's such a good play-off goalie. He's plays better with the pressure on him...that's how some people are wired. Just look at his stats (do NOT compare his stats from 10 years ago to todays goalies...he was above average, and pretty close to top 7 when you compare him to goalies of that era.

Anyway, my point is, play Ozzie more and give Howie a rest. Give Howie the start in the play-offs? Probably. The torch needs to be passed eventually, but if we run into an other Hasek situation, you want a warmed up and oiled goaile ready to play. Right now? All Ozzie has seen is a few games in releif (which fans want him to win us a 5-1 deficit by the time he comes in) and like 1 start in almost 3 months? That's bad goalie managegment imo. /shrug

+1 to those who said Ozzie in Edmonton and Howard in Vancouver.

All factors aside, you must give backup goalie some time between the pipes and that was the perfect time to. Babcock is losing my support and if we don't make it into 8th spot, you've got to ask whether we rode the rookie pony too much.

Absolutely not. Howard's stats and play is the most consistent thing about this team. If we don't sneak into the playoffs the players(not goalie) are to blame. They were inconsistent and some nights left Howard out to dry. 12 games to go. he has played 52. He is young and eager, I think he'll survive.

Game Log

Absolutely not. Howard's stats and play is the most consistent thing about this team. If we don't sneak into the playoffs the players(not goalie) are to blame. They were inconsistent and some nights left Howard out to dry. 12 games to go. he has played 52. He is young and eager, I think he'll survive.

Game Log

I think the point is not how many goals he's letting up, but the kind of goals. Since the break he's let in alot of five-holes, some really bad short side goals (these are the basics, right? I mean we get on Ozzie because of it). Before the break I heaven't seen him let up a five-hole or short side goals. Atleast his rebound control is improving. He actually deflects them to the corner..well, 70% of them. Better than 1% heh

I think the point is not how many goals he's letting up, but the kind of goals. Since the break he's let in alot of five-holes, some really bad short side goals (these are the basics, right? I mean we get on Ozzie because of it). Before the break I heaven't seen him let up a five-hole or short side goals. Atleast his rebound control is improving. He actually deflects them to the corner..well, 70% of them. Better than 1% heh

A couple weak ones isn't the end of the world. His confidence hasn't been this high since college.

If it wasn't for Jimmy last night we probably would have been down by more then 2 by the end of 1. I don't know how many times I have said" If it wasn't for Howard....(random negative outcome).", this season.

Edited by zettie85

Chris Osgood will make more money this year sitting on the bench doing nothing than I will in my entire lifetime, no matter how hard I work. If he has a problem with that, maybe he should call Darren McCarty for a little perspective on life. Or Jiri Fischer. Or Vladimir Konstintinov.

Edited by Bannedforlife

A couple weak ones isn't the end of the world. His confidence hasn't been this high since college.

If it wasn't for Jimmy last night we probably would have been down by more then 2 by the end of 1. I don't know how many times I have said" If it wasn't for Howard....(random negative outcome).", this season.

Still doesn't change the fact that the wings need their back up game ready. What if Howie gets ran through in the crease, get's injured? It happened to Legace, and freak accidents do happen. Babs needs to be prepared. Plus, how many times have the fans said "if it wasn't for Ozzie? (especially plays-offs)" Both goalies need time on the ice. And with any sport, if you don't use it, you lose it. I agree with some here that if we make the play-offs, not playing Ozzie, even just to get some of the load off of howies back, will come back and bite them. I do agree that Howie will be the go to guy for the Play-oofs, though.

This is my opinion, though, and as Ozzie doubter for a couple of years, I;ve leanred to never count the guy out. Just give the guy a chance and rest Howie.

Edited by Dynheart

Chris Osgood will make more money this year sitting on the bench doing nothing than I will in my entire lifetime, no matter how hard I work. If he has a problem with that, maybe he should call Darren McCarty for a little perspective on life. Or Jri Fischer. Or Vladimir Konstintinov.

To be fair to Ozzie, he isn't complaining anymore. It's his Superfans.

Still doesn't change the fact that the wings need their back up game ready. What if Howie gets ran through in the crease, get's injured? It happened to Legace, and freak accidents do happen. Babs needs to be prepared. Plus, how many times have the fans said "if it wasn't for Ozzie? (especially plays-offs)" Both goalies need time on the ice. And with any sport, if you don't use it, you lose it. I agree with some here that if we make the play-offs, not playing Ozzie, even just to get some of the load off of howies back, will come back and bite them.

This is my opinion, though. And as Ozzie doubter for a couple of years, I;ve leanred to never count the guy out. Just give the guy a chance and rest Howie.

I agree he should have had a few more games but at this point it's too late. Chips are on Howard. If he fails, like I said before, there is always next year.

Edited by zettie85

To be fair to Ozzie, he isn't complaining anymore. It's his Superfans.

I agree he should have had a few more games but at this point it's too late. Chips are on Howard. If he fails, like I said before, there is always next year.

That's the gists really, and it's quite depressing. Not because I'm some blind Ozzie fan, but because what if we do have a Hasek inccident? Or Howie gets hurt? This time we have a COLD goalie to back us up, and not a game ready goalie. To me, that's what's depressing the most.

EDIT: Depressing was a bad choice of words. Not gonna /wrist over it, but it's Disappointing! There we go.

Edited by Dynheart

That's the gists really, and it's quite depressing. Not because I'm some blind Ozzie fan, but because what if we do have a Hasek inccident? Or Howie gets hurt? This time we have a COLD goalie to back us up, and not a game ready goalie. To me, that's what's depressing the most.

EDIT: Depressing was a bad choice of words. Not gonna /wrist over it, but it's Disappointing! There we go.

It would be disappointing but if we make the playoffs and even get to the second round it will still exceed expectations.

Until Howard just completely s**ts the bed with inconsistent play, he stays in more often than not. I'm a bit surprised to not see Osgood play one of these two, but the Wings are not in a posiiton to where they can play both goalies for playoff positioning. They need points, and they need them now. Jimmy Howard basically took the job and ran with it when Osgood was down with the flu. He hasn't given any reason to not be taken out right now and hasn't shown any signs of wearing out or whatever. Bless Osgood's heart, I love him, but the Red Wings don't have time to be fair to Osgood right now or play him just because he should play or Osgood's ego or whatever.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Agreed 100%.

In the past Ozzie has bailed this team outta trouble; now he's getting the "leper" treatment...Even Scotty Bowman would recognize the fact that Howard is gonna wear down eventually, and rotating both netminders is essential for a playoff run.

It's 1 thing to pick a goalie with 8 to 10 games left in the season, and ride him thru the playoffs, but with Howard playing the vast majority of games since the Christmas break.....Not good.

Why does everyone assume this? He hasn't yet and no one knows what he is capable of.

Edited by zettie85

I don't get it at all and I never will. I feel awful for Ozzie and am way past frustrated with Babcock's handling of the goaltenders this season. He did it all wrong and it's going to haunt the Red Wings either by Howard burning out, or faltering down the stretch/playoffs and we can't go back to Ozzie because Babcock never gives him a start.

Just let Jimmy play every game the rest of the way at this point. Babcock has humiliated Ozzie enough and one lousy start isn't going to change anything.

Chris Osgood SHOULD feel humiliated his complete lack of even adequate play lead to him losing his starting job to a rookie. (period)

Why does everyone assume this. He hasn't yet and no one knows what he is capable of.

I'll anwser with my opinion. To me it's not the physical aspect, but the mental aspect. This is a part of the game which people clearly under estimate. Really, it's with every sport. You see I'm a bowler and, I can tell you from experience, that when you're on strike 11 going for 12...all I can say is that I blew so many 300s that way. Nervous...shakey...doesn't matter how many times you get there, it's all the same feeling. Some handle it some don't. I eventaully got my first 300...problem solved. This is hockey, though...faster, frantic...WAYYY more physical. So I can only imagine what the what it does to somebody, let alone a rookie, when he does infact get there.

Other than that I believe he's an awesome goalie, but I question the mental toughness, not the physcial...and that's all to be honest. All we can do is wait and see.

Edited by Dynheart