Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous ?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

I don't get it at all and I never will. I feel awful for Ozzie and am way past frustrated with Babcock's handling of the goaltenders this season. He did it all wrong and it's going to haunt the Red Wings either by Howard burning out, or faltering down the stretch/playoffs and we can't go back to Ozzie because Babcock never gives him a start.

Just let Jimmy play every game the rest of the way at this point. Babcock has humiliated Ozzie enough and one lousy start isn't going to change anything.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Ozzie's been brutal on the road, and the Wings NEED at least one point, end of story.

#23 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

Why is Mike Babcock not playing Chris Osgood on the second game of a back-to-back ?

This is flatout humiliating for a goaltender of Ozzie's caliber. What is he thinking ?
Babcock is showing once more that he's mediocre at best when it comes to the 'human' side of coaching.
Why would consciously render you second goaltender useless by sitting him thisf****** long ?????
This will backfire someday..

Besides that, I think.. KNOW that Chris Osgood has some wins in him.
Don't treat him like there's sitting some snot nosed college goaltender on the bench.

I think that this got humiliating for Osgood a while ago. I doubt that Osgood feels any more or less humiliated now - I'm sure he expected not to play tonight. And it was definitely obvious when he didn't play against Edmonton that he wouldn't be playing again.

I agree with you though, it seems unfair.

There has to be something else behind this story that we don't know. Babcock isn't stupid.

#24 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Because babcock doesn't trust Osgood, simple as that. I wouldn't trust Osgood either if the rumours floating around are true....

What rumours???
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#25 lilja4mvp

lilja4mvp

i hate you all

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

good call by babcock. osgood is beyond brutal at this point.

#26 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

good call by babcock. osgood is beyond brutal at this point.

Based off what? His last start two months ago?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#27 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

If we can clinch before the final game or the Flames clinch Ozzie will get his start.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#28 lilja4mvp

lilja4mvp

i hate you all

• PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Based off what? His last start two months ago?

his last 70 regular season games.

"bubububububububu PLAYOFF OZZIE!"...playoffs are irrelevant if we don't make them. osgood has been terrible in the last 2 regular seasons. that is a fact, not an opinion. obviously babcock sees it the same way.

#29 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

If we can clinch before the final game or the Flames clinch Ozzie will get his start.

I wondered about this too, but I'm thinking that the excuse then would be that they're trying to keep Howard in a groove for the playoffs.

To me, that actually seems like it might be an even bigger slap in the face to only play him when (if) we're clinched, but that's just my opinion.

#30 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

his last 70 regular season games.

"bubububububububu PLAYOFF OZZIE!"...playoffs are irrelevant if we don't make them. osgood has been terrible in the last 2 regular seasons. that is a fact, not an opinion. obviously babcock sees it the same way.

If the organization genuinely saw it that way, they should have made a deal for a backup goalie. If they really think that their current backup can't start against the Oilers, then that's a hole they needed to fill before the trade deadline.

#31 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

+1 to those who said Ozzie in Edmonton and Howard in Vancouver.
All factors aside, you must give backup goalie some time between the pipes and that was the perfect time to. Babcock is losing my support and if we don't make it into 8th spot, you've got to ask whether we rode the rookie pony too much.

#32 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

I wondered about this too, but I'm thinking that the excuse then would be that they're trying to keep Howard in a groove for the playoffs.

To me, that actually seems like it might be an even bigger slap in the face to only play him when (if) we're clinched, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe not even clinched. If we get up 4 points on them maybe even then.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#33 RedWingedKitten

RedWingedKitten

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

It makes perfect sense. We're trying to make the playoffs. I would rather go into the playoffs with a tired Howard than not go into the playoffs at all. I'm guessing this is Babcocks line of thought - Do I want to start a tired Howie in the playoffs, or do i want to go golfing in April? The days are gone when we could have our cake and eat it too. :(

That being said, I do feel bad for Oz. He's still awesomely awesome in my eyes.

Edited by RedWingedKitten, 20 March 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#34 evil204

evil204

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

I realize we don't have time to wait for Osgood to get his game back, but it's also really stupid to go into the playoffs without a backup goalie.

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

Babcock just hasn't done a good job of coaching this season, most glaringly with this goaltending fiasco.

If Howard plays every game the rest of the way and we make the playoffs, what then? Are we going to play a tired Howard in the playoffs, or give Ozzie a playoff start after not having played for 2 months?

Babcock should have played Ozzie last night and Howard tonight. Instead, he keeps piling on starts on his tired rookie goaltender.

Also, you have to wonder what effect this is having on the rest of the team. They're not robots, so this has to be getting to their heads too.

Why is he going to be tired? And how do you figure he IS tired? He had a two week break, and just had a four day break. Plus, it's not like he is a 20yr old rookie. He's 25 about to turn 26 in a week.

Last 4 seasons

Rookie Pro: 55 Games played
2nd year pro: 56 Games played
3rd year pro: 58 games played
last year: 56 Games played

This year: At 52 games. He should finish the regular season around 63-64 games played. He won't be tired until we hit the second round or so, if he even does become fatigued, baring that we make the playoffs of course.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#36 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

I believe the goalie situation has been handle poorly this season. Jimmy was on earlier in the season, but he's been inconsistant since the break. He maybe young and can handle the workload like Marty does, but one thing that people totally under estimate...no it's not physical toughness, it's mental toughness. A couple of bad games for a rookie, especially one he maybe resposible for (bad goals)...they start to add up, and doubt sets in.

Babcock should have rested Howie a few games when he was ON, not when he's slumping, but even so, the kid isn't getting a break when he's slumping.
That will have a lasting effect for the rest of the season, garanteed. With that doubt/question in the back of his head...going into the play-offs, if we get there, will spell doom for the kid...most likely be branded a "he's a good goalie who isn't a pressure player". Once that stigma sticks, it's hard not to think about it. This is where Ozzie, IMO, will probably be one of the best goalies in modern hockey. Sure he's a small guy (less net covered), sure he's not as athletic due to the fact he's been a stand-up goalie for 95% of his career (which I might add going butterfly was a bad idea for him...that's just me, though), but the man has heart AND has mental toughness like no other. Nothing bothers this guy, be from critics or fans. When they doubt him, he has the mental toughness to prove people wrong (which you would think people on this board, and most of the fans in general whould learn to never count him out...he's proven people wrong so many times in his career). This is why he's such a good play-off goalie. He's plays better with the pressure on him...that's how some people are wired. Just look at his stats (do NOT compare his stats from 10 years ago to todays goalies...he was above average, and pretty close to top 7 when you compare him to goalies of that era.

Anyway, my point is, play Ozzie more and give Howie a rest. Give Howie the start in the play-offs? Probably. The torch needs to be passed eventually, but if we run into an other Hasek situation, you want a warmed up and oiled goaile ready to play. Right now? All Ozzie has seen is a few games in releif (which fans want him to win us a 5-1 deficit by the time he comes in) and like 1 start in almost 3 months? That's bad goalie managegment imo. /shrug

#37 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

+1 to those who said Ozzie in Edmonton and Howard in Vancouver.
All factors aside, you must give backup goalie some time between the pipes and that was the perfect time to. Babcock is losing my support and if we don't make it into 8th spot, you've got to ask whether we rode the rookie pony too much.

Absolutely not. Howard's stats and play is the most consistent thing about this team. If we don't sneak into the playoffs the players(not goalie) are to blame. They were inconsistent and some nights left Howard out to dry. 12 games to go. he has played 52. He is young and eager, I think he'll survive.

Game Log
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#38 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

Absolutely not. Howard's stats and play is the most consistent thing about this team. If we don't sneak into the playoffs the players(not goalie) are to blame. They were inconsistent and some nights left Howard out to dry. 12 games to go. he has played 52. He is young and eager, I think he'll survive.

Game Log

I think the point is not how many goals he's letting up, but the kind of goals. Since the break he's let in alot of five-holes, some really bad short side goals (these are the basics, right? I mean we get on Ozzie because of it). Before the break I heaven't seen him let up a five-hole or short side goals. Atleast his rebound control is improving. He actually deflects them to the corner..well, 70% of them. Better than 1% heh

#39 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

I think the point is not how many goals he's letting up, but the kind of goals. Since the break he's let in alot of five-holes, some really bad short side goals (these are the basics, right? I mean we get on Ozzie because of it). Before the break I heaven't seen him let up a five-hole or short side goals. Atleast his rebound control is improving. He actually deflects them to the corner..well, 70% of them. Better than 1% heh

A couple weak ones isn't the end of the world. His confidence hasn't been this high since college.

If it wasn't for Jimmy last night we probably would have been down by more then 2 by the end of 1. I don't know how many times I have said" If it wasn't for Howard....(random negative outcome).", this season.

Edited by zettie85, 20 March 2010 - 07:23 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#40 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Chris Osgood will make more money this year sitting on the bench doing nothing than I will in my entire lifetime, no matter how hard I work. If he has a problem with that, maybe he should call Darren McCarty for a little perspective on life. Or Jiri Fischer. Or Vladimir Konstintinov.

Edited by Bannedforlife, 20 March 2010 - 07:30 PM.