Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous ?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#41 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

A couple weak ones isn't the end of the world. His confidence hasn't been this high since college.

If it wasn't for Jimmy last night we probably would have been down by more then 2 by the end of 1. I don't know how many times I have said" If it wasn't for Howard....(random negative outcome).", this season.

Still doesn't change the fact that the wings need their back up game ready. What if Howie gets ran through in the crease, get's injured? It happened to Legace, and freak accidents do happen. Babs needs to be prepared. Plus, how many times have the fans said "if it wasn't for Ozzie? (especially plays-offs)" Both goalies need time on the ice. And with any sport, if you don't use it, you lose it. I agree with some here that if we make the play-offs, not playing Ozzie, even just to get some of the load off of howies back, will come back and bite them. I do agree that Howie will be the go to guy for the Play-oofs, though.

This is my opinion, though, and as Ozzie doubter for a couple of years, I;ve leanred to never count the guy out. Just give the guy a chance and rest Howie.

Edited by Dynheart, 20 March 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#42 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

Chris Osgood will make more money this year sitting on the bench doing nothing than I will in my entire lifetime, no matter how hard I work. If he has a problem with that, maybe he should call Darren McCarty for a little perspective on life. Or Jri Fischer. Or Vladimir Konstintinov.

To be fair to Ozzie, he isn't complaining anymore. It's his Superfans.

Still doesn't change the fact that the wings need their back up game ready. What if Howie gets ran through in the crease, get's injured? It happened to Legace, and freak accidents do happen. Babs needs to be prepared. Plus, how many times have the fans said "if it wasn't for Ozzie? (especially plays-offs)" Both goalies need time on the ice. And with any sport, if you don't use it, you lose it. I agree with some here that if we make the play-offs, not playing Ozzie, even just to get some of the load off of howies back, will come back and bite them.

This is my opinion, though. And as Ozzie doubter for a couple of years, I;ve leanred to never count the guy out. Just give the guy a chance and rest Howie.

I agree he should have had a few more games but at this point it's too late. Chips are on Howard. If he fails, like I said before, there is always next year.

Edited by zettie85, 20 March 2010 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#43 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

To be fair to Ozzie, he isn't complaining anymore. It's his Superfans.

I agree he should have had a few more games but at this point it's too late. Chips are on Howard. If he fails, like I said before, there is always next year.

That's the gists really, and it's quite depressing. Not because I'm some blind Ozzie fan, but because what if we do have a Hasek inccident? Or Howie gets hurt? This time we have a COLD goalie to back us up, and not a game ready goalie. To me, that's what's depressing the most.

EDIT: Depressing was a bad choice of words. Not gonna /wrist over it, but it's Disappointing! There we go.

Edited by Dynheart, 20 March 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Exactly what I was saying earlier today to a friend. I understand that he wanted to get Howard to play a bunch and finally get him going in the NHL but this is too much. He's playing him as much as freaking Brodeur plays, if not more. All this on a ROOKIE. He's going to tire out sooner or later and it won't be pretty. It's going to all come down to Ozzie and he hasn't played in months. Then of course EVERYONE will expect him to be amazing cause he's a veteran but that has nothing to do with it. In order to be good you gotta play. Doesn't matter who you are. Sitting on the bench and charting faceoffs doesn't do a goalie any good. Especially one of Osgood's caliber.

Agreed 100%.

In the past Ozzie has bailed this team outta trouble; now he's getting the "leper" treatment...Even Scotty Bowman would recognize the fact that Howard is gonna wear down eventually, and rotating both netminders is essential for a playoff run.

It's 1 thing to pick a goalie with 8 to 10 games left in the season, and ride him thru the playoffs, but with Howard playing the vast majority of games since the Christmas break.....Not good.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

That's the gists really, and it's quite depressing. Not because I'm some blind Ozzie fan, but because what if we do have a Hasek inccident? Or Howie gets hurt? This time we have a COLD goalie to back us up, and not a game ready goalie. To me, that's what's depressing the most.

EDIT: Depressing was a bad choice of words. Not gonna /wrist over it, but it's Disappointing! There we go.

It would be disappointing but if we make the playoffs and even get to the second round it will still exceed expectations.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#46 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Until Howard just completely s**ts the bed with inconsistent play, he stays in more often than not. I'm a bit surprised to not see Osgood play one of these two, but the Wings are not in a posiiton to where they can play both goalies for playoff positioning. They need points, and they need them now. Jimmy Howard basically took the job and ran with it when Osgood was down with the flu. He hasn't given any reason to not be taken out right now and hasn't shown any signs of wearing out or whatever. Bless Osgood's heart, I love him, but the Red Wings don't have time to be fair to Osgood right now or play him just because he should play or Osgood's ego or whatever.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 20 March 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#47 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

It would be disappointing but if we make the playoffs and even get to the second round it will still exceed expectations.

I'll give you that...troofs!

#48 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:49 PM

Agreed 100%.

In the past Ozzie has bailed this team outta trouble; now he's getting the "leper" treatment...Even Scotty Bowman would recognize the fact that Howard is gonna wear down eventually, and rotating both netminders is essential for a playoff run.

It's 1 thing to pick a goalie with 8 to 10 games left in the season, and ride him thru the playoffs, but with Howard playing the vast majority of games since the Christmas break.....Not good.

Why does everyone assume this? He hasn't yet and no one knows what he is capable of.

Edited by zettie85, 20 March 2010 - 07:50 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#49 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

I don't get it at all and I never will. I feel awful for Ozzie and am way past frustrated with Babcock's handling of the goaltenders this season. He did it all wrong and it's going to haunt the Red Wings either by Howard burning out, or faltering down the stretch/playoffs and we can't go back to Ozzie because Babcock never gives him a start.

Just let Jimmy play every game the rest of the way at this point. Babcock has humiliated Ozzie enough and one lousy start isn't going to change anything.

Chris Osgood SHOULD feel humiliated his complete lack of even adequate play lead to him losing his starting job to a rookie. (period)

#50 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

Why does everyone assume this? He hasn't yet and no one knows what he is capable of.

Look at my post on the 2nd page, because I completely agree with you and back it up with numbers.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#51 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

Why does everyone assume this. He hasn't yet and no one knows what he is capable of.

I'll anwser with my opinion. To me it's not the physical aspect, but the mental aspect. This is a part of the game which people clearly under estimate. Really, it's with every sport. You see I'm a bowler and, I can tell you from experience, that when you're on strike 11 going for 12...all I can say is that I blew so many 300s that way. Nervous...shakey...doesn't matter how many times you get there, it's all the same feeling. Some handle it some don't. I eventaully got my first 300...problem solved. This is hockey, though...faster, frantic...WAYYY more physical. So I can only imagine what the what it does to somebody, let alone a rookie, when he does infact get there.

Other than that I believe he's an awesome goalie, but I question the mental toughness, not the physcial...and that's all to be honest. All we can do is wait and see.

Edited by Dynheart, 20 March 2010 - 07:58 PM.

#52 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,906 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Two things...

Firstly, the rumours were generated by a puck bunny site. They also say that Lids beats his wife and Homer is *** and his family is a cover-up. They're vicious *******. Might there be truth behind some of the rumours on that site? Sure, it's possible, but until I see proof, the source alone is enough for me to give the player the benefit of the doubt.

Secondly, Ozzie needed to be starting here and there a month or two ago. Yes, ride the hot goalie and give Howard the lion's share of the starts (and this is coming from a die-hard Ozzie fan who just loves him to death), but Howie (or any goalie) needs a mental and physical rest on occasion and Ozzie needs to keep in the groove. I doubt that Howard will fail, but there is always the possibility of illness/injury keeping a player out for any length of time from a day to a season. We've sure seen that this year.

#53 Dynheart

Dynheart

Rookie

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Two things...

Firstly, the rumours were generated by a puck bunny site. They also say that Lids beats his wife and Homer is *** and his family is a cover-up. They're vicious *******. Might there be truth behind some of the rumours on that site? Sure, it's possible, but until I see proof, the source alone is enough for me to give the player the benefit of the doubt.

Secondly, Ozzie needed to be starting here and there a month or two ago. Yes, ride the hot goalie and give Howard the lion's share of the starts (and this is coming from a die-hard Ozzie fan who just loves him to death), but Howie (or any goalie) needs a mental and physical rest on occasion and Ozzie needs to keep in the groove. I doubt that Howard will fail, but there is always the possibility of illness/injury keeping a player out for any length of time from a day to a season. We've sure seen that this year.

My thoughts exactly.

#54 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Two things...

I really like Ozzie. I'm going to be honest though. If he was getting his starts here and there and Howard went down I think we would be S.O.L. for playoffs this year. I obviously can't be certain but it's just a gut feeling. If Howard was to go down in the playoffs I would have more confidence in Ozzie being the guy but Regular seasons haven't been good to him these last 2 years.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#55 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

In Howies last 5 starts he is 3-1-1, has a 1.77 GAA, and a has a .928 save %.
Sure Ozzy should have played last night, but to others who are saying Howie isnt on fire right now are just plain wrong.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

With the way people talk on here you wouldn't think the rook was top 6 in GAA and SV%.

Cooling off, ha. I hope this is cooled off for J-Ho, it will only mean great things for the future!

Ozzie deserved starts, but at this point in time it is too late, he has sat too long.

But with the second most man games missed (I think I never looked it up) this team is still in the running for the post season. Mismanagement by Babs?

I doubt it, but Ozzie deserves to reach 300.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#57 creedie

creedie

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

Ozzy Ozzy...

Edited by creedie, 20 March 2010 - 08:36 PM.

Shirley you can't be serious... I am very serious and stop calling me Shirley!

#58 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Why is Mike Babcock not playing Chris Osgood on the second game of a back-to-back ?

This is flatout humiliating for a goaltender of Ozzie's caliber. What is he thinking ?
Babcock is showing once more that he's mediocre at best when it comes to the 'human' side of coaching.
Why would consciously render you second goaltender useless by sitting him thisf****** long ?????
This will backfire someday..

Besides that, I think.. KNOW that Chris Osgood has some wins in him.
Don't treat him like there's sitting some snot nosed college goaltender on the bench.

Yeah Ozzy has some wins left in him but are the Wings in a position to flush even one game down the toilet while they try and coax him back into proper form?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#59 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

Yeah Ozzy has some wins left in him but are the Wings in a position to flush even one game down the toilet while they try and coax him back into proper form?

Exactly.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#60 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

Chris Osgood SHOULD feel humiliated his complete lack of even adequate play lead to him losing his starting job to a rookie. (period)

Honestly, I don't take anything you say about Ozzie seriously.

You bashed him all last year during the regular season, disappeared in the playoffs, and shockingly are back now to continue the act.

Edited by GoWings1905, 20 March 2010 - 11:59 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."