Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous ?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 hotwings24

hotwings24

Super Wings chick!

• 48 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:20 PM

A) goaltenders are always road hard, in here there is a contrast.. people that like howard, people that Like osgood. honestly, the best thing i can say is, its better to see what happens for the rest season, thenl to sit back worried about who is gonna do what. Babcock had a reason for not playing osgood, that is aparent, remember who the coach is here and why they are put in the coaching position.

Coaches know whats best for their hockey clubs or they wouldnt be coaches. isnt that a fact? Babcock has proven in past seasons he is a good coach.
and before we sing kumbaya to one goaltender or another lets see in an experiment as to who faulters and who doesnt. the tell tale heart here will be.

is it youth and vigar or being a veteran , and having a not so good season? either or could be considered a toss up. one is starting, one is benchwarming. I say do our best to support the team, and well, let babcock do his job, we arent all pro hockey coach's so lets just work with what we have on this.

Edited by hotwings24, 20 March 2010 - 11:21 PM.

#62 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

I love Ozzie. But Howard is a Calder candidate for a reason...

And IMO was a big part of tonights win with some timely saves today.

The rebound control is my only knock on Howie, but even that has been a bit better lately. He is winning games, and playing well.

Until he shows otherwise I say keep him in.

As it says on the back of his mask...Let's Roll

#63 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

Why does everyone assume this? He hasn't yet and no one knows what he is capable of.

How many "rookies" (granted he played in the AHL for 4 years) can keep up his pace?

I hope I'm wrong, but I get a feeling that he could have some trouble by the end of the reg season/early playoffs.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#64 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:54 PM

How many "rookies" (granted he played in the AHL for 4 years) can keep up his pace?

I hope I'm wrong, but I get a feeling that he could have some trouble by the end of the reg season/early playoffs.

At this point getting Ozzie game ready would be just as tough to deal with as Jimmy burning out...

I would rather get to the playoffs and lose in the first round than miss the playoffs entirely. As long as Howard continues this the playoffs will PROBABLY happen. Howard burning out or fazing Ozzie in now would both make it tougher.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

And right now Jimmy Howard is sure as heck not broken

#65 hokike

hokike

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

ppl here are overreacting.
Crosby’s frustration level seemed to reach a boiling point in the final seconds, leading to him cross-checking Zetterberg in the back in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard(notes).

“I knew it was him without turning around,” Zetterberg said.

#66 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

At this point getting Ozzie game ready would be just as tough to deal with as Jimmy burning out...

I would rather get to the playoffs and lose in the first round than miss the playoffs entirely. As long as Howard continues this the playoffs will PROBABLY happen. Howard burning out or fazing Ozzie in now would both make it tougher.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

And right now Jimmy Howard is sure as heck not broken

Well I agree; we gotta ride Howard now since he's in a "groove", and trying to get Ozzie going may end up costing us a few games...Sorta damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#67 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

If not more.

I thought being the Wings goalie was a tough job, you guys are abusing Babcock over this. There's talk about him getting an Adams nomination (though no one says he'll win) for coaching this team through the injuries that marred the first half of the season... but he's a hack who can't work with this team. God, Wings fans are spoiled brats.
*this space for rent*

#68 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:10 AM

I hope Ozzie doesn't play next game, with Max Talbot coming back to the Joe.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#69 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

I hope Ozzie doesn't play next game, with Max Talbot coming back to the Joe.

Considering he only scored on Osgood three times in the both series I'm not worried.

And also considering Osgood won't be playing in the Pittsburgh game I'm not worried.

Osgood will likely play a game against Columbus when the Wings have enough breathing room to where they can afford to lose a game. And the Jackets are awful against Detroit.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 21 March 2010 - 12:17 AM.

Posted Image

#70 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

Honestly, I don't take anything you say about Ozzie seriously.

You bashed him all last year during the regular season, disappeared in the playoffs, and shockingly are back now to continue the act.

Last year in the playoffs he wasn't terrible night in and night out.... he wasn't bad enough to lose a game on his own. Which for Osgood is the most he's ever been able to give in his career. He's won cups as an adequate goaltender, not a bad deal really. But I dare say like so many before him time has erroded what limited skill was there.

#71 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:01 AM

http://freep.com/art...ing-mentor-role

good article.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#72 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

Last year in the playoffs he wasn't terrible night in and night out.... he wasn't bad enough to lose a game on his own. Which for Osgood is the most he's ever been able to give in his career. He's won cups as an adequate goaltender, not a bad deal really. But I dare say like so many before him time has erroded what limited skill was there.

No credit at all for 2008 playoffs either? Yeesh...

And pretty much everybody in here is in agreement that his play overall hasn't been good this year and giving kudos to Howard for taking the job and running with it when Osgood was out with the flu.

The Wings unfortuntaely don't have the luxury this year of comfortably being in the playoffs way ahead of time and giving both goalies roughly equal starts to sort out any kinks. Could Osgood have helped more in that regard? Sure, but there were other factors like an absurd amount of injuries.

That doesn't make Osgood any less of a goaltender, and that article link is a great example of it.

#73 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

Re: Osgood rumours.
If they haven't been confirmed here, they haven't happened.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#74 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

Please, try to be rational at least somewhat.

If the Red Wings won Game 7, the Conn Smythe was easily going to Chris Osgood.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#75 hotwings24

hotwings24

Super Wings chick!

• 48 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

People need to chill. we have had some wonderful seasons, and have been very spoiled as hockey fans. sometimes we have to lose. live and die with the team, isnt that what makes a true hockey fan? or is that idea dead and gone? goaltenders have a hard time and often get ridden during the playoffs ect. now as for this whole situation, lets hide and watch, cause who knows? Lets remember not to get our panties in a twist - to stay calm, and if we dont win this season so what! we have had some awesome seasons as fans, ones I will never forget. :)

Edited by hotwings24, 21 March 2010 - 10:57 AM.

#76 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

People need to chill. we have had some wonderful seasons, and have been very spoiled as hockey fans. sometimes we have to lose. live and die with the team, isnt that what makes a true hockey fan? or is that idea dead and gone? goaltenders have a hard time and often get ridden during the playoffs ect. now as for this whole situation, lets hide and watch, cause who knows? Lets remember not to get our panties in a twist - to stay calm, and if we dont win this season so what! we have had some awesome seasons as fans, ones I will never forget. :)

I was thinking that earlier this season but the Wings are just teasing us hanging around in 8th place. This is killing me. I don't want to see the streak end. If we were in St. Louis's position right now I wouldn't care but we are hanging in there and I really hate the flames and don't want them to make the playoffs over us.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#77 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

How can he can be inconsistent when he hasn't played? And earlier this season when he strung together some wins, Babs still went with Jimmy.

I think the reason he had to go back to Howard was because of the whatnots.

I'm hoping Howard has what it takes to tough it out the rest of the way. Obviously it's him we're riding. If not shame on Babcock for not getting both ready for the finale run.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#78 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

On the CBC broadcast they thought it was reall odd that he sat in the lockerroom watching the game and not on the bench on the backup keeper chair... :unsure:

#79 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

you got to ask the question as to why Oz goes from his post season form to his reg season form with such a dip in standards? we haven't got the depth on the roster to let Oz play himself into a groove, he isn't playing for a reason and Babs and Holland know they can't take a chance on him taking 5-8 games to get into game shape. We wouldn't be in the running for 8th spot if he didn't start to perform straight away. Howard has been lucky in some games not to let in more than he did, but hey you make your own luck. He is getting it done and its Babs call, after all its Babs job on the line if the Wings don't make the post season, what would any of you do? Oz will be doing the +- stats for me for the next 6 games at least.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#80 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

You guys are overeacting so much, Howard is a goalie in the Nhl, he will only get better if he plays more game, he is our future in net and is looking very promising.

Would you guys seriously trust Osgood right now when calgarys breathing down our neck?

Please, try to be rational at least somewhat.

If the Red Wings won Game 7, the Conn Smythe was easily going to Chris Osgood.

Osgood wasnt amazing last year in the playoffs he made the saves he needed to make. and our D cleared his thousands of rebounds.