• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MissyLKS8

MissyLKS8

Détroit du Kat

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

Okay, from the many years of watching national sporting broadcasts, I've learned one thing: They don't really know the teams well. They state the most obvious facts, mix up players, mess up last names, etc...

My question from watching the game on CBS, how the heck do you pronounce Franzen's last name? According to Wikipedia [which is always right (sarcasm)], it's Franzen with the "a" almost sounding like "on". This is how I and everyone I know have been saying it for the past five years. However, the play-by-play tonight kept saying Franzen as if the "a" sounded like "an".
WHICH IS THE RIGHT WAY?!?!

Also, I looked up that interview (Two for the Fun of it) where he introduces himself. I'm starting to second guess myself because I can't really hear if he says one or the other.

Edited by MissyLKS8, 21 March 2010 - 12:26 AM.

Hit it hard in Royal Oak... but I'll see you all in Detroit. Friday 11am.

Pav's going to dance for Hank. -Osgood on Zed's birthday
I love the dark meat. -Homer on turkey
Hey, is that Journey? OOH, WHAT A STOP BY OSGOOD!! Hey, that IS Journey! - Steve Dangle

"I don't care what my tickets says, Lady. Why should I move my seat for you, 45 minutes late with your non-Red Wings apparel, to sit behind the glass here with your little friend who just asked who #5 is?"

Made in Detroit

#2 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:31 AM

Ken & Mick say it like fron-zin. I think I will stick with that.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

Yeah, Frahn-zin.

#4 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

I say it like "an". I'm not Pierre Maguire. I don't have Swedish accent so just pronounce it as I see it.

During the CBC broadcast tonight I heard them call him Mule a couple times, in a very casual way like it was his real name.

Edited by zettie85, 21 March 2010 - 12:42 AM.

Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#5 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:45 AM

I pronounce it.... "The Mule"

or my original favorite.... "McSnipples"

youre welcome
To whom much is given, much is expected

#6 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

everybody I know pronounces it "ah", Frahnzen... the other way sounds weird and I only here national broadcasters say it

#7 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:50 AM

Are you referring to this gentleman, drafted by the Dallas Stars in round 2, #34 overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft? :P

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=70757

#8 NorCalGrl

NorCalGrl

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:10 AM

My father's first language is Swedish and when watching the games with him, he always pronounces Franzen as, "Frahn-zaeyn". There is an accent over the "e", which I also have in my last name, effecting the pronunciation. The funny thing is, in February, I was at a tequila bar in San Jose, on the night before the SJ/Red Wings game, and Franzen walked in and sat next to me at the bar. Admittedly being a little tipsy, I totally remember boasting to him that we had the same "e with an accent over it" type of last name, and asked him if Franzen was pronounced "Frahn-zaeyn", which he adamantly contended. We then had a *random as hell* conversation about the band The Offspring.

#9 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

My father's first language is Swedish and when watching the games with him, he always pronounces Franzen as, "Frahn-zaeyn". There is an accent over the "e", which I also have in my last name, effecting the pronunciation. The funny thing is, in February, I was at a tequila bar in San Jose, on the night before the SJ/Red Wings game, and Franzen walked in and sat next to me at the bar. Admittedly being a little tipsy, I totally remember boasting to him that we had the same "e with an accent over it" type of last name, and asked him if Franzen was pronounced "Frahn-zaeyn", which he adamantly contended. We then had a *random as hell* conversation about the band The Offspring.

You are my hero.

#10 Hell Toupee

Hell Toupee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

My father's first language is Swedish and when watching the games with him, he always pronounces Franzen as, "Frahn-zaeyn". There is an accent over the "e", which I also have in my last name, effecting the pronunciation.

I'm guessing your father is from the south of Sweden. That makes a world of difference.

Listen at 0.10 for the pronounciation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF42A6pei7o

The a sound is very similar to the english u sound in under.
The é is pronounced like ear without the r, obviously.

The a is short and the é is long.

NHL broadcasters really butcher all the Swedes names though. Except for maybe Douglas Murray, but the Swedish announcers will make a mess out of his name instead so it evens out.

#11 MissyLKS8

MissyLKS8

Détroit du Kat

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

NorCalGrl: WOW! And The Offspring?! Ha, that's comical. Anything interesting to say on that topic?

Everybody: Thanks for the response. Some odd reason I didn't think to ask my friend who lives in Sweden either.
Hit it hard in Royal Oak... but I'll see you all in Detroit. Friday 11am.

Pav's going to dance for Hank. -Osgood on Zed's birthday
I love the dark meat. -Homer on turkey
Hey, is that Journey? OOH, WHAT A STOP BY OSGOOD!! Hey, that IS Journey! - Steve Dangle

"I don't care what my tickets says, Lady. Why should I move my seat for you, 45 minutes late with your non-Red Wings apparel, to sit behind the glass here with your little friend who just asked who #5 is?"

Made in Detroit

#12 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Yeah the correct is "Franzén" notice the e when its a lil dot above its pronounced different.

Edited by mindfly, 21 March 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#13 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

I think it's just anyone that's Canadian pronounces it wrong. Everyone on CBC and TSN always say it wrong.

#14 Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

Here's a tip from a Swede: Think Donald Brashear. The stress is on the second syllable, not the first.

#15 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

According to the "NHL Official Guide & Record Book 2010":

(FRAN-zehn, YOH-han)

,with emphasis on the first syllable of both the first and last names.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#16 Hell Toupee

Hell Toupee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Here's a tip from a Swede: Think Donald Brashear. The stress is on the second syllable, not the first.

That's actually very good.

#17 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Also, the sound the two E's in words like peer and steer.

#18 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

I think it just add a little extra something when every announcer doesn't do it the correct Swedish way.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#19 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

I don't know the correct Swedish pronunciation but everyone I've ever heard talk about him (except for the occasional retarded national broadcast commentator) calls him "Fron-zen" which I like better than "Fran-zen" which sounds like you have a bad cold or a New York accent.

EDIT: So judging from the grammar rules of you Swedes and knowledgeable people, it's actually pronounced:

Yo-HAHN Fron-ZUN? Is that right?

Edited by VM1138, 21 March 2010 - 06:50 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#20 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

I don't know the correct Swedish pronunciation but everyone I've ever heard talk about him (except for the occasional retarded national broadcast commentator) calls him "Fron-zen" which I like better than "Fran-zen" which sounds like you have a bad cold or a New York accent.

EDIT: So judging from the grammar rules of you Swedes and knowledgeable people, it's actually pronounced:

Yo-HAHN Fron-ZUN? Is that right?

Listen to the clip posted in this thread, that's the correct swedish pronounciation. it's mostly the "e" sound you yanks have to work on

But yet in saying that the correct version of Fedorov is Fjådoroff...and not feddorovv.. and datsjuk not datsyuk... if you're going to go from the russian alphabet and pronounciation...

Edited by mindfly, 21 March 2010 - 07:17 PM.