• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MissyLKS8

Franzen's Name

Rate this topic

Okay, from the many years of watching national sporting broadcasts, I've learned one thing: They don't really know the teams well. They state the most obvious facts, mix up players, mess up last names, etc...

My question from watching the game on CBS, how the heck do you pronounce Franzen's last name? According to Wikipedia [which is always right (sarcasm)], it's Franzen with the "a" almost sounding like "on". This is how I and everyone I know have been saying it for the past five years. However, the play-by-play tonight kept saying Franzen as if the "a" sounded like "an".

WHICH IS THE RIGHT WAY?!?!

Also, I looked up that interview (Two for the Fun of it) where he introduces himself. I'm starting to second guess myself because I can't really hear if he says one or the other.

Edited by MissyLKS8

I say it like "an". I'm not Pierre Maguire. I don't have Swedish accent so just pronounce it as I see it.

During the CBC broadcast tonight I heard them call him Mule a couple times, in a very casual way like it was his real name.

Edited by zettie85

My father's first language is Swedish and when watching the games with him, he always pronounces Franzen as, "Frahn-zaeyn". There is an accent over the "e", which I also have in my last name, effecting the pronunciation. The funny thing is, in February, I was at a tequila bar in San Jose, on the night before the SJ/Red Wings game, and Franzen walked in and sat next to me at the bar. Admittedly being a little tipsy, I totally remember boasting to him that we had the same "e with an accent over it" type of last name, and asked him if Franzen was pronounced "Frahn-zaeyn", which he adamantly contended. We then had a *random as hell* conversation about the band The Offspring.

My father's first language is Swedish and when watching the games with him, he always pronounces Franzen as, "Frahn-zaeyn". There is an accent over the "e", which I also have in my last name, effecting the pronunciation. The funny thing is, in February, I was at a tequila bar in San Jose, on the night before the SJ/Red Wings game, and Franzen walked in and sat next to me at the bar. Admittedly being a little tipsy, I totally remember boasting to him that we had the same "e with an accent over it" type of last name, and asked him if Franzen was pronounced "Frahn-zaeyn", which he adamantly contended. We then had a *random as hell* conversation about the band The Offspring.

You are my hero.

My father's first language is Swedish and when watching the games with him, he always pronounces Franzen as, "Frahn-zaeyn". There is an accent over the "e", which I also have in my last name, effecting the pronunciation.

I'm guessing your father is from the south of Sweden. That makes a world of difference.

Listen at 0.10 for the pronounciation.

The a sound is very similar to the english u sound in under.

The é is pronounced like ear without the r, obviously.

The a is short and the é is long.

NHL broadcasters really butcher all the Swedes names though. Except for maybe Douglas Murray, but the Swedish announcers will make a mess out of his name instead so it evens out.

NorCalGrl: WOW! And The Offspring?! Ha, that's comical. Anything interesting to say on that topic?

Everybody: Thanks for the response. Some odd reason I didn't think to ask my friend who lives in Sweden either.

Guest mindfly

Yeah the correct is "Franzén" notice the e when its a lil dot above its pronounced different.

Edited by mindfly

I don't know the correct Swedish pronunciation but everyone I've ever heard talk about him (except for the occasional retarded national broadcast commentator) calls him "Fron-zen" which I like better than "Fran-zen" which sounds like you have a bad cold or a New York accent.

EDIT: So judging from the grammar rules of you Swedes and knowledgeable people, it's actually pronounced:

Yo-HAHN Fron-ZUN? Is that right?

Edited by VM1138

Guest mindfly

I don't know the correct Swedish pronunciation but everyone I've ever heard talk about him (except for the occasional retarded national broadcast commentator) calls him "Fron-zen" which I like better than "Fran-zen" which sounds like you have a bad cold or a New York accent.

EDIT: So judging from the grammar rules of you Swedes and knowledgeable people, it's actually pronounced:

Yo-HAHN Fron-ZUN? Is that right?

Listen to the clip posted in this thread, that's the correct swedish pronounciation. it's mostly the "e" sound you yanks have to work on

But yet in saying that the correct version of Fedorov is Fjådoroff...and not feddorovv.. and datsjuk not datsyuk... if you're going to go from the russian alphabet and pronounciation...

Edited by mindfly

Listen to the clip posted in this thread, that's the correct swedish pronounciation. it's mostly the "e" sound you yanks have to work on

But yet in saying that the correct version of Fedorov is Fjådoroff...and not feddorovv.. and datsjuk not datsyuk... if you're going to go from the russian alphabet and pronounciation...

wow, mindfly is a linguist! :o if mindfly indeed were a linguist, he would say things like, "well, the correct pronunciation is such-and-such, but you'll probably say it wrong and some angry drunk guy will stab you with a beer bottle."

on a serious note, that actually is pretty interesting. i've seen a couple of youtube vids where a russian was calling the game (in russian, obviously), and when he said datsyuk's name, it sounded...a lot different than how i or TV announcers say his name. i wonder i that's weird...always having people say your name wrong.

but, then i guess...when i spend a semester in west africa, all the ghanaians said my name, which is matthew, like "MAH-chew." it didn't bother me...it was just how the said my name. i guess that's probably how it is.

that being said, i HATE when people say FRAN-zen. FRON-zen just sounds so much better to me...maybe that's just because it's what i'm used to.