• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
superstarsingh

History Will Be Made

Rate this topic

I am sure some of you guys saw the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs commercials last night on HNIC. One with Stevie is coming!!!

There will be six moments featured in the commercials: Bobby Orr's Cup-winning goal in 1970, Mark Messier and his guarantee, Mario Lemieux splitting the Minnesota North Stars defense during the 1991 Cup, Ray Bourque finally capturing the Cup, Patrick Roy leading the Montreal Canadiens to the Cup in 1986 during his rookie season, and Steve Yzerman's double-overtime goal against the St. Louis Blues in 1996.

Video: 'History Will Be Made' campaign debuts with Lemieux, Orr

Guest Lidstromboli

i love the orr one

the lemieux thing doesn't seem quite as amazing in reverse

Wonder if they will show Hull's goal against Hasek. That's a good one, 2 HOF'ers.:P

ACK, didn't see your last line rick. good call tho.

Edited by softshoes

Roy and Bourque's sound like they will be a bit odd as they are not based on one play like the others. They are both legends and deserve to be apart of these ads so it'll be interesting to see what they will do with them.

I know they are trying to focus on moments created by superstar type players but I'd love to see them do one of McCarty's goal against Philly in 1997.

Or how about one from game 6 in 1999, starting with a shot of Bret Hull's foot in the crease? :yowza:

You do realize that was a legal goal as the rule was in 99?

You know why?

The puck was already in the crease. Hull swatted a rebound of his own shot at Hasek. The rebound was headed out of the crease. As Hull spun to his forehand, his skate left the crease. During this time, a Buffalo player skated across trying to gather the puck, but failed. His skated kept the puck in the crease, knocking it off Hasek as this happened. As Hull completed his turn, his left skate entered the crease. The puck, still in the crease, was in perfect shooting position for Hull, who banged it home.

The rule was that if a player entered the crease BEFORE THE PUCK that the goal was illegal. That did not happen in this case. Also, if a player is in possession of the puck, his skate may enter the crease before the puck does. No other player ever gained possession after Hull's shot, meaning Hull could legally enter the crease and shoot the puck from outside, and the goal would still have been legal.

Legal goal under two different sections of the rule. Sorry.

Edited by eva unit zero

those commercials are actually fantastic. NHL Marketing is really, really great at them.

the only thing they fu* up is when they touch the "everybody love Sindy" theme. but as long

as this series stays with Lemieux, Orr, Roy, Stevie Y, or Mess or even Dave Andreychuk...

it should be great. just don't embrace brillant ideas of Gary and spare us the "ancient history"

of NHL with Sindy Crosby winning the cup

I know they are trying to focus on moments created by superstar type players but I'd love to see them do one of McCarty's goal against Philly in 1997.

Or how about one from game 6 in 1999, starting with a shot of Bret Hull's foot in the crease? :yowza:

Defintly !!! McCarty's goal is one of my Favourite Wings Goals.

You do realize that was a legal goal as the rule was in 99?

You know why?

The puck was already in the crease. Hull swatted a rebound of his own shot at Hasek. The rebound was headed out of the crease. As Hull spun to his forehand, his skate left the crease. During this time, a Buffalo player skated across trying to gather the puck, but failed. His skated kept the puck in the crease, knocking it off Hasek as this happened. As Hull completed his turn, his left skate entered the crease. The puck, still in the crease, was in perfect shooting position for Hull, who banged it home.

The rule was that if a player entered the crease BEFORE THE PUCK that the goal was illegal. That did not happen in this case. Also, if a player is in possession of the puck, his skate may enter the crease before the puck does. No other player ever gained possession after Hull's shot, meaning Hull could legally enter the crease and shoot the puck from outside, and the goal would still have been legal.

Legal goal under two different sections of the rule. Sorry.

Jeez Eva, lighten up.

First off, I was trying to be funny.

Secondly, I never said it was an illegal goal.

But it was definately one of the more memorable Stanley Cup Finals moments of the last 20 years and the play involved two hall of famers.

none can compare to the Bobby Orr goal. I'm glad they are making one of Yzerman but I don't see how they can make that seem very dramatic, unless they use some crazy editing or camera angles that I've never seen.

I STILL do not understand the goal Orr scored being such a great one. He shot the puck before being upended.

Didn't Z score a goal being upended with his back to the goal? That one is better than Orr's "flying" goal!!

Does anyone remember Yzerman's goal against the Pens in '89? He had a breakaway and was tripped and while in the air, scored an awesome goal. The game was on ESPN as I was stationed in Albany, GA and pretty much the only game that showed the Wings on national TV that year.

Edited by pjgj13

none can compare to the Bobby Orr goal. I'm glad they are making one of Yzerman but I don't see how they can make that seem very dramatic, unless they use some crazy editing or camera angles that I've never seen.

There is a lot of drama associated with Yzermans's OT winner. Rewinding the shot will be cool especially since the shot went bar down perfectly.I mean, the celebration that ensued was crazy and I am sure they will include his mauling in the commercial. I'm excited to see it as I am sure everyone else is.

There is a lot of drama associated with Yzermans's OT winner. Rewinding the shot will be cool especially since the shot went bar down perfectly.I mean, the celebration that ensued was crazy and I am sure they will include his mauling in the commercial. I'm excited to see it as I am sure everyone else is.

The Yzerman goal, if it makes it into these promotional adds, will be awesome.

But doesn't anyone else find it weird that this seems like the only one that they're planning that features a play made by a player in a playoffs where his team didn't go on to win the cup?

Pretty sure that the Orr, Lemieux, Messier, Roy, and Bourque moments will all concetrate on cup winning runs.

Is there a concrete highlight such as the goal in 96 in the 97, 98 or 02? I am not entirely sure that there is a more iconic goal than this one. That said, its a shame this goal did not happen a year later (in this context only).

Great commercials...

Anybody want to take a stab at what the "inspirational text" of the 4 remaining commercials might be?

"What if Gretzky wasn't so Great?"

"What if Stevie Y hadn't been The Captain?"

"What if Roy hadn't done the Statue of Liberty?" (I know... doesn't pertain to the 1986 season.)

history repeats

that made me think:

"what if Therrien had any idea of coaching other than whining to the media and overusing the 'obstruction' word... naah, thanks hockey gods, he hadn't" :cool:

Edited by akustyk

The overhead shot where Yzerman strips Gretzky at center ice, followed by the angle that is right over Casey's shoulder pointed at Yzerman's blade when he releases the shot is about as dramatic as you can get. Absolutely perfect.

"What if Messier did not guarantee?" or "What if Messier did not deliver?"

Messier is given waay too much credit for the 94 Cup IMHO.

How about BRIAN LEETCH or MIKE RICHTER or ADAM GRAVES? All three of them were more important in that Cup win than Messier. Oooh, Messier said they'd win one game. Richter and Leetch were the guys who actually went out and WON the game. And they were they guys who actually went out and won the Cup.

Edited by eva unit zero

Personally, I think the whole "flying goal" thing about Orr is a joke. Yes it was a great goal...but the only reason it is such a highlight and considered one of the greatest goals of all-time is the fact that he jumped after shooting the puck. He didn't swat the puck in while airborne. He shot the puck into the net, then went airborne. Big ******* deal.

Edited by eva unit zero