• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyTownHouligan

Penguins bashing thread(keep it within the site rules please)

Rate this topic

Defending Stanley Cup champions with 2 of the 3 best players in the world. And a goalie that can steal games in the playoffs.

They are a great team to watch and are very well built through great drafting.

The Red Wings were built through drafting. The Penguins were built through sheer suckitude. Four consecutive years of top 2 draft picks, two of those years being #1 overall picks. Toss in another top 5 pick and you see what happens.

This is also known as the Avalanche road to success. The Penguins will fade just as fast as the Avs did.

Defending Stanley Cup champions with 2 of the 3 best players in the world. And a goalie that can steal games in the playoffs.

They are a great team to watch and are very well built through great drafting.

I get that you like them, but it's a joke to say that they are "very well built through great drafting".

They sucked for a loooong time, and got good picks because of it. Anybody could have picked Crosby and Malkin.

And in case you forgot, they picked Jordan Staal ahead of Jonathan Toews, Nicklas Backstrom and Phil Kessel.

They picked Fleury over Eric Staal.

Yeah, that's some world class drafting right there. :lol:

I get that you like them, but it's a joke to say that they are "very well built through great drafting".

They sucked for a loooong time, and got good picks because of it. Anybody could have picked Crosby and Malkin.

And in case you forgot, they picked Jordan Staal ahead of Jonathan Toews, Nicklas Backstrom and Phil Kessel.

They picked Fleury over Eric Staal.

Yeah, that's some world class drafting right there. :lol:

Seemed to work didn't it?

I mean I don't think Chicago/Washington/Boston/Carolina have a Stanley Cup like the great Penguins?

I mean I don't think Chicago/Washington/Boston/Carolina have a Stanley Cup like the great Penguins?

Well, it took years of sucking for Penguins to get this good. Besides, Carolina won in 2006. I agree that Penguins took the right players with their picks (Fleury is more important to them than Eric Staal would be). This is the way the draft pick system works and it's nice that it gives bad teams a chance to get better, but there's also this feeling that these good players were handed to Penguins 'cause they were so bad for so long.

...yeah, and none of those teams have Crosby or Malkin to go along with those players either. Both of whom, as I said, anybody could have picked.

My point isn't that the Penguins suck (although they do). My point is that their drafting should hardly be held up as the pinnacle of success. Whenever they haven't had a superstar practically shoved up their ass, their scouts haven't done particularly well.

If you seriously don't think that having Crosby, Malkin, Eric Staal and Toews on your team would make a dynasty (which the Penguins will not be) then I don't know what to say to you.

...of course in that scenario there's also the salary cap to worry about, but that's another story altogether.

Yeah but just saying it was all a gift etc. is just a terrible excuse.

Top 3 picks aren't gimmes. Alexander Daigle etc.

They've had to deal with a salary cap.

Not too mention Pittsburgh's depth 3rd-4th liners have been some of the best in the league, with very underrated D men (Letang mainly). They are a well built team whether you want to admit it or not.

Edited by Carman

Yeah but just saying it was all a gift etc. is just a terrible excuse.

Top 3 picks aren't gimmes. Alexander Daigle etc.

30/30 teams would have picked Crosby and Malkin in the positions they were taken. That's all that I'm saying. It's not because of their amazing scouting that either of the two worked out.

They've had to deal with a salary cap.

...I don't think that they purposely drafted worse players so that they could stay within the salary cap.

30/30 teams would have picked Crosby and Malkin in the positions they were taken. That's all that I'm saying. It's not because of their amazing scouting that either of the two worked out.

...I don't think that they purposely drafted worse players so that they could stay within the salary cap.

What's so hard to understand that they Penguins are more than a two player team?

You act like the Red Wings got beat by two players or something.

What's so hard to understand that they Penguins are more than a two player team?

You act like the Red Wings got beat by two players or something.

As I said:

My point isn't that the Penguins suck (although they do). My point is that their drafting should hardly be held up as the pinnacle of success.

So the Red Wings got beat by a team that sucks and can't draft.

That's awesome.

Oh lord. The Penguins can do no wrong in your eyes can they? This is my last response for the night, I have other things to do.

The Penguins (obviously) don't actually suck. That was a crack at them.

The point (if you've somehow still missed this) is that their drafting isn't that great. The Wings got beaten by a good team.

That team was made up of 3 parts:

1. Crosby and Malkin, superstars which were easy to draft

2. Signed free agents

3. A few draft picks which happened to be good because they were picked so high. If their drafting was any good though, these players could have been even better.

There's how many players on the team that Pittsburgh drafted that weren't from the first round? I'm not sure, but I'm willing to guess that the number is quite low.

Again, the point is that their drafting hasn't been great, they've just had high picks for a long time. Clear?

We should also add that they only got Crosby because of the transfer problems with Malkin. He comes across from Russia the year he was drafted, I highly doubt they finish bottom 3 to get the Crosby lottery pick.