• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Pasha Passion

Rate this topic

Easily the best stick handler of his generation.

Ever?

Anyways, one of the best things about sucking for most of the season is that our players actually celebrate regular season goals now :)

As for Pav, I thought his assist on Stuart's goal the other night was a thing of beauty - skating the length of the ice with the puck stuck to his stick and facing 3 defenders right in front of him, none of whom could get it off him. Joyous.

Give props to #13!

Brilliance of Wings' Pavel Datsyuk shouldn't be taken for granted

Detroit -- One of the worst things we do as fans and media is take greatness for granted. We don't seem to fully appreciate star players until they're gone, then we fall all over ourselves memorializing -- sometimes exaggerating -- the gravity of their accomplishments.

Not today.

In my 30 years of covering sports around here, I've had the privilege to watch and chronicle the achievements of phenomenal athletes. But this is the first year I've been able to watch and chronicle Pavel Datsyuk's achievements up close and personal on a daily basis.

The guy might be the most breathtaking athlete I've covered with the possible exceptions of Michael Jordan and LeBron James. But those guys don't wear skates.

Advertisement

Datsyuk does something -- at least one thing and usually a lot more -- every game that makes you shake your head in wonderment. Take the Red Wings' 4-3 overtime loss to the Predators on Saturday as one case in point. He made a significant play in each of the Wings' three goals.

What can't he do?

On the first one, he carried the play into the Nashville zone and then fell down. Somehow, while on his butt, he found a way to fend off the defender and pass the puck to Tomas Holmstrom. Holmstrom then fed it to Johan Franzen, who dumped to Brian Rafalski, who buried the puck into the back of the net.

Datsyuk doesn't even get an assist, but the goal doesn't happen without his play.

Second goal: Datsyuk, forechecking like a demon, separates Ryan Suter from the puck behind the Nashville goal, and zips it to Holmstrom. Holmstrom finds Nick Lidstrom at the top of the circle -- boom, it's a 2-2 game.

Datsyuk then sent the Joe Louis Arena crowd into a short-lived frenzy, scoring the tying goal with 36.4 seconds left with a laser shot under the crossbar. The expression and body language of goalie Pekka Rinne was priceless. It was if he was thinking, "What the hell was that?"

"Everything is working for him, and he continues to work hard," Lidstrom said. "That's what's so good about him. I don't know how many times he's back-checked and taken the puck away from guys and then start us going the other way. He's just really on a roll right now."

Datsyuk had 11 goals on Jan. 23. He was on pace for his worst offensive season in Detroit. When we talked at that time, he said his goal still was to score at least 30 goals. I thought he was joking. It didn't seem possible.

Well, here we are on April 4 and he has 26 goals. He's had 15 goals and 16 assists the last 27 games. And that's just one side of the ice. Against Columbus Thursday, his line completely shut down 33-goal scorer Rick Nash.

Datsyuk leads the league in takeaways (125) and he leads the league in making opposing defensemen look stupid.

"It's like you almost expect it from him," said Franzen. "We all know how good he can be. But some of the shots and moves he pulls off are almost like, well, you can't believe it. Even if I tried 100 times I couldn't do it.

He's pretty special. It's fun to play with him."

Houdini on ice

If you didn't know him, and saw him without hockey gear, you'd never suspect Datsyuk to be a world-class athlete. He walks a bit hunched over. His gait is somewhat crab-like, almost like he's still skating, even on dry land.

But put him on skates and he's Houdini on ice. He is not the fastest skater by a long shot, but there can't be too many who are stronger or more flexible. Checking him has to feel like checking Gumby. You might get a piece of him, but he bounces away, moving faster thanks to the leverage he gained from your check.

His hands, too, are incredibly strong. He can paralyze players with his stick, whether he's pinning them or lifting their sticks to steal the puck.

And there are probably many other more subtle things he does, his positioning on the ice, anticipation or vision, that I don't even recognize on a nightly basis.

Most of the time we react to Datsyuk like coach Mike Babcock did after Saturday's game.

"Pav's pretty good," he said. "I think he's been excellent."

Somehow, "Pav's pretty good" doesn't quite capture it.

Yeah, he's been great for a long time and, yeah, we expect it. But every once in a while it wouldn't kill any of us to take a step back and allow ourselves to enjoy the nightly brilliance of this quiet, unassuming and always-entertaining star.

That's all I am saying.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100403/OPINION03/4030402/1128/Brilliance-of-Wings--Pavel-Datsyuk-shouldn-t-be-taken-for-granted#ixzz0k6KiV6OT

Give props to #13!

The article you posted is great. Sometimes I think Pavel is the best hockey player ever... I know that statement has to be wrong - "Pavel Datsyuk is the best hockey player". But if you spend some time thinking about it, it becomes more and more true.

The article you posted is great. Sometimes I think Pavel is the best hockey player ever... I know that statement has to be wrong - "Pavel Datsyuk is the best hockey player". But if you spend some time thinking about it, it becomes more and more true.

Pavel is just hard to compare to other hockey players. He's so talented but his skill set is a very rare one. His vision and ability to hold onto the puck are simply amazing. His awareness, creativity... just the way all of his skills come together makes for a very unique super-star.

There may never be another guy like Pavel. He won't be remembered as the greatest hockey player ever, not even as the greatest of his generation, but he will be remembered and respected for a long time. Pavel's thoughtfulness and the constant, calculating control he plays with is just amazing to watch.

Indeed, as John Buccigross points out (when his typing hands aren't wrapped around Sydney Crosby's manhood) - there is no-one else in the NHL who can do what Pavel Datsyuk can.

So a serious question for the older hockey fans in here - is Datsyuk the greatest stick-handler ever? Can you imagine what he would have done to 80s defences and goalies?

Indeed, as John Buccigross points out (when his typing hands aren't wrapped around Sydney Crosby's manhood) - there is no-one else in the NHL who can do what Pavel Datsyuk can.

So a serious question for the older hockey fans in here - is Datsyuk the greatest stick-handler ever? Can you imagine what he would have done to 80s defences and goalies?

Datsyuk would've molested 80s defenses and goalies!

For those among us who have loved and admired Pasha since he first got here, we might take him for granted sometimes. I mean, if he has a bad streak, everyone is on his ass to "shoot more" or cure whatever else is bugging him. We're quick to criticize, but when everything starts going right, we all say, "I knew he could do it."

Me, I don't take him for granted. I appreciate what he does no matter what. This is a guy who can make something out of nothing, and make it look so damned easy. I don't know how he does it...all I know is that he can pull rabbits out of his hat and make people drop their jaws and shake their heads.

I've a feeling that it's gonna be a while before we see the likes of him again, and when he does hang them up, we will really appreciate what a treasure we have.

Sorry to revive an older thread now...

I just have to say that I love his clutch goals lately. A slapshot goal to tie a game with seconds left? This is the Datsyuk we need in playoffs. Someone who isn't afraid to shoot and score.

I woke up everybody in the neighborhood :)

Considering his penalty in the second. Perhaps I don’t understand anything in hockey or just somebody doesn’t skate well?

You mean the league office and executives that make the rules?

Thank you! I really appreciate the help I certainly need it lol :thumbup:

This is awesome, this is my favorite Datsyuk video...No wonder he came move like he does, Hes been watching James Brown lol

lol I love that vid. It also reminds me of this Yzerman vid with his ringtone.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

quote from Datsyuk:

"Every coach on every team I have been on, he tell to fight for puck every time you are on the ice," Datsyuk said. "But, especially when you play with Norris (Lidstrom) and Rafi (Brian Rafalski), it's helped me a lot. I'm happy to be with these guys and be around them and learn."

Love how he calls Lids; 'Norris'... hahaha.