• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BeeRYCE

Season closing in... Your award winners?

Rate this topic

Assuming not too much drastically changes over what's left of the schedule, <10 games... It's pretty safe to say any predictions for the awards right now would be how it would look by season's end... So with that said...

Hart - Ovechkin (Miller, Crosby)

Lady Byng - St. Louis (B. Richards, Marleau)

Vezina - Miller (Bryzgalov, Brodeur)

Calder - Myers (Howard, Rask)

Norris - Keith (Doughty, Green)

Selke - Kesler (Datsyuk, M. Richards)

Adams - Tippett

Masterton - Lilja

Guest mindfly

Hart - Miller

Lady Byng - St. Louis

Vezina - Miller

Calder - Myers

Norris - Keith

Selke - Datsyuk

Adams - Tippett

Masterton - Lilja

(Without Miller... Buffalo sucks, therefore he gets hart)

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

No, wings could have alot of goalies and have as many wins as with howard imo.. I'm sure a "random" goalie like craig andersson would be better than howard in detroit, he can atleast hold the puck and dont have rebounds on every shot. The wings D and forwards bails howard out alot.. alot more than howard bails the team out... Howard got quickness and acrobatic skills but lacks rebound control, stick handling and gets out of position because he being too aggresive sometimes.

Edited by mindfly

the point that i was making is most teams(was, chi, and sj excluded) goalie has to be their best player night in night out in order for the team to be successful. personally i dont think a goalie should win the hart unless the team was dead last in goals scored and had a shot at the presidents trophy. thats why either crysbaby or OVI will get it, bacause Washington wouldnt be over 100 points without his 40+ goals, and with malkin having a down year then pens needed crosby to step up like he has.

Hart: Bryzgalov (H.Sedin, Miller) - Ovie's probably gonna be at the very least nominated, but he's been suspended a few times and missed some games and Washington have arguably played better without him so I don't think he deserves the Hart this year. Besides he's got a much stronger supporting cast than Bryzgalov, Miller and even Sedin. Miller has more hype than Bryz so he could win this, but Bryz would be my choice.

Selke: Datsyuk (Kesler, M.Richards) - could very well go to Kesler, but this late-season surge by both the Wings and Pavel might be enough to give him his 3rd straight.

Byng: St.Louis (Datsyuk, B.Richards)

Adams: Tippet - Babs will be nominated for this I think, as long as the Wings make the playoffs, but Tippet seems like a shoe-in for the win.

Vezina: Miller (Bryzgalov, Quick)

Calder: Myers (Howard, Duchene) - not at all impossible for Howard to take this. Myers is the favorite, but goaltenders often seem to have the edge in calder voting.

Norris: Keith (Lidstrom, Doughty) - maybe I'm optimistic that Lids will get a nomination, there are so many d-men who have had great seasons. But I think he deserves it.

Masterton: Chelios

Hart: Bryzgalov (H.Sedin, Miller) - Ovie's probably gonna be at the very least nominated, but he's been suspended a few times and missed some games and Washington have arguably played better without him so I don't think he deserves the Hart this year. Besides he's got a much stronger supporting cast than Bryzgalov, Miller and even Sedin. Miller has more hype than Bryz so he could win this, but Bryz would be my choice.

Selke: Datsyuk (Kesler, M.Richards) - could very well go to Kesler, but this late-season surge by both the Wings and Pavel might be enough to give him his 3rd straight.

Adams: Tippet - Babs will be nominated for this I think, as long as the Wings make the playoffs, but Tippet seems like a shoe-in for the win.

Calder: Myers (Howard, Duchene) - not at all impossible for Howard to take this. Myers is the favorite, but goaltenders often seem to have the edge in calder voting.

Norris: Keith (Lidstrom, Doughty) - maybe I'm optimistic that Lids will get a nomination, there are so many d-men who have had great seasons. But I think he deserves it.

I swap out Chelios for Lilja and this is my list, too. Bryzgalov has been incredible for the 'Yotes and without him early in the season I don't think they even get their feet under them. Miller is my Vezina pick, though. Keith seems like a lock for the Norris, too.

He hasn't had to come back from anything. He's old. He has not improved Atlanta. They are playing well because of Antropov. Lilja for sure.

He hasn't had to come back from anything. He's old. He has not improved Atlanta. They are playing well because of Antropov. Lilja for sure.

I think being 100 years old and overcoming being let go and sticking it out in the AHL is probably the thinking behind the pick.

I think being 100 years old and overcoming being let go and sticking it out in the AHL is probably the thinking behind the pick.

Yeah and Cheli has been nominated in the past too, which leads me to believe he's got a decent chance at winning. I'd obviously be happy if Lilja won but at the same time I don't think the Masterton should only be a "who was injured the longest and came back"-award.

Yeah and Cheli has been nominated in the past too, which leads me to believe he's got a decent chance at winning. I'd obviously be happy if Lilja won but at the same time I don't think the Masterton should only be a "who was injured the longest and came back"-award.

I mostly agree, but at the same time, you don't really want it to be "let's give it to him because he's really old."

I hadn't really thought about the Masterton - can anyone think of any plausible candidates (apart from the Lily and the Cheli)? Had Phoenix played terribly this year, Shane Doan might have been a good choice :)

I'm certainly not a Howard homer, but he's been more important to us than either of the other rookies have to their teams.

I think he should win it, but I think because of his age and the fact that we're the Wings, he won't get the trophy. He'll be deemed to have too much help around him, even with the injuries.

I'm certainly not a Howard homer, but he's been more important to us than either of the other rookies have to their teams.

I think he should win it, but I think because of his age and the fact that we're the Wings, he won't get the trophy. He'll be deemed to have too much help around him, even with the injuries.

Howard's importance to the team is irrelevant - the Calder is awarded to 'the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League.'

My picks:

Hart: Bryzgalov (Miller, Ovy) - Bryz has carried PHX even more than Miller has carried Buffalo in some stretches, imo

Selke: Datsyuk (Kesler, Toews) - Dats has been nuts, as usual. I think Toews deserves some consideration.

Byng: Datsyuk (St. Louis, Lidstrom) - Noone is as effective as Datsyuk with so few PIM. Lidstrom's on pace for his lowest PIM season since the lockout.

Adams: Tippet (Sacco, someone else whose team sucked last year and is now good this year) - Self explanatory. Tippet has been a colossal upgrade over Gretz.

Vezina: Miller (Vokoun, Bryzgalov) - Vokoun never gets any respect. He's got a .928 sv% and 7 SO on the Cats.

Calder: Howard (Duchene, Myers) - Which one of these players respective teams suffers most if they're removed? You decide.

Norris: Lidstrom (Keith, Doughty) - Lids, as usual, has been spectacular. Keith and Doughty have obviously had amazing seasons. Lids runs away with this statistically when taking into account team statistics.

Masterton: Chelios? - He's 48 and back, and I can't think of anyone this year who has come back from 232325 concussions/cancer/etc. Maybe Pisani with his issues.

Who I think will actually win them:

Hart: Miller (Bryzgalov, Ovy) - Eastern media etc, and Miller rocks. It's not like he's undeserving. The olympics will also have added a huge +rep to him as well.

Selke: Datsyuk (Kesler, M. Richards) - Canadian media likes the way Richards plays so he'll get the nomination ahead of Toews or others imo

Byng: St. Louis (Datsyuk, Lidstrom) - I think they really want to give this to St. Louis before his play declines, and they're probably tired of giving it to Dats. Lidstrom's on pace for his lowest PIM season since the lockout. Someone might take note of that. St. Louis is deserving, and imo would have won it the last 4 years if not for Dats.

Adams: Tippet (Sacco, someone else whose team sucked last year and is now good this year) - Self explanatory. Tippet has been a colossal upgrade over Gretz. He'll get the media nod over Sacco because Phoenix is a nice story.

Vezina: Miller (Bryz, Anderson) - I think Anderson might get some recognition here. .922 sv%, 7 SO, and enough wins that he might get the nod over someone with more wins but lesser stats (like Quick)

Calder: Myers (Duchene, Howard) - Rookie seasons for d-men as strong as Myers has been are rare, he's in the East and the other two aren't, and he's been getting a lot of late-season noise. Also, Detroit players aren't allowed to win Calders

Norris: Keith (Doughty, Pronger) - Keith is having his career year on the top team in the West and has a nice-looking stat line. Big player on the Canadian olympic team. Doughty will get nods as well, and imo Pronger will get more than Lidstrom as a benefit of being in the east.

Masterton: Chelios? - He's 48 and back, and I can't think of anyone this year who has come back from 232325 concussions/cancer/etc. Maybe Pisani with his issues.

Edited by Datsyerberger

Steve Sullivan just said "Wtf, dude?"

That's basically what the award has been in the past, and I see no real desire/reason to change. Maybe Selanne gets it as a lifetime achievement and for coming back twice this year from ugly injuries. Selanne might be another nominee for the award, considering he's come back twice this year from ugly injuries and scored his 600th goal this year.

Hart: Miller (Ovechkin, Bryzgalov)

Norris: Keith (Chara, Green)

Vezina: Miller (Bryzgalov, Luongo)

Calder: Myers (Howard, Rask)

Adams: Tippett (Sacco, Terry Murray)

Byng: Kopitar (St. Louis, Richards)

Selke: Kesler (Datsyuk, J. Staal)