• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Gustav Nyquist

Rate this topic

If he wanted to leave school he could but he said he's probably staying.

Yeah, it sounds like he'll stay at Maine for his Junior year. This probably means he'll continue to go to school in the spring. In other words, it sounds like his hockey season has ended.

Link:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/03/red_wings_prospect_gustav_nyqu_7.html

Yeah, it sounds like he'll stay at Maine for his Junior year. This probably means he'll continue to go to school in the spring. In other words, it sounds like his hockey season has ended.

Link:

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010/03/red_wings_prospect_gustav_nyqu_7.html

The longer he can stay in college the better for us, we don't want years to start counting against his eligibility until we absolutely have to... rather him develop in college than the AHL for now...

is he eligable to get a try out with the Griffins for the rest of the regular season?

I know Maine are out of the NCAA playoffs, just thought the Wings may want a look at

him at AHL level hockey.

Yes he is. Expect Brendan Smith to be added to the Griffs.

Can't wait to see Nyquist and Smith play professionally.

I'm such a nerd when it comes to prospects :(

Agreed. Hearing about how well a prospect is developing is about as good as a Wings win sometimes

If Nyquist wins the Hobey (which he is pretty much a lock for) I have a harder time believing he'll be playing college hockey next season. We'll have to wait and see. He will most likely get a shot at playing some AHL time this season but the wild card there is whether he's ready physically to play pro hockey. Most college kids need quite a bit of time to develop enough physically.

If Nyquist wins the Hobey (which he is pretty much a lock for) I have a harder time believing he'll be playing college hockey next season. We'll have to wait and see. He will most likely get a shot at playing some AHL time this season but the wild card there is whether he's ready physically to play pro hockey. Most college kids need quite a bit of time to develop enough physically.

What makes you think that? I mean, a lock?

I have a feeling that I'm going to get a stats response.

What makes you think that? I mean, a lock?

I have a feeling that I'm going to get a stats response.

Stats is the easiest response-- no one else is even close to his point total. He's the only guy who cracked 60pts in the country. All the articles I've read on the subject have Gustav as the clear favourite based on his superior offensive numbers and lack of defensive deficiencies. Who else can touch him? The next closest guy has 8 fewer points in 5 fewer games but his goal total isn't much different (20g vs 19g) and his point per game number is smaller (1.51 vs 1.56). After that the field drops off significantly with a 1.37ppg player that did manage to score 8 more goals than Nyquist but can't even touch his total points.

See for yourself:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/

Here's what Puck Daddy thinks:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NCAA-Hockey-101-Who-wants-the-Hobey-Baker-now-?urn=nhl,226213

Note that since he wrote that article Nyquist boosted his goal total to 19 which pretty much kills the last argument one could make against him...

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Honestly, if/when he wins the Hobey, there really is no reason for him to stay in college other than to advance his education. The only way you improve is by playing with and against better players. Imagine him and tatar on the same line next year or this year.

Honestly, if/when he wins the Hobey, there really is no reason for him to stay in college other than to advance his education. The only way you improve is by playing with and against better players. Imagine him and tatar on the same line next year or this year.

That should be dangerous.

Stats is the easiest response-- no one else is even close to his point total. He's the only guy who cracked 60pts in the country. All the articles I've read on the subject have Gustav as the clear favourite based on his superior offensive numbers and lack of defensive deficiencies. Who else can touch him? The next closest guy has 8 fewer points in 5 fewer games but his goal total isn't much different (20g vs 19g) and his point per game number is smaller (1.51 vs 1.56). After that the field drops off significantly with a 1.37ppg player that did manage to score 8 more goals than Nyquist but can't even touch his total points.

I forgot about that. He is pretty complete at the college level. I guess that makes me feel better about his chances.

He's a freeking Dean's list student while a major in Finance. My guess is that he's pretty dedicated to his education. He said he'll probably be back and it's not like there aren't things he can work on. The more important thing for him is to develop physically. He really needs to add weight. Also, he's made strides in this area but he can still work on his shot and shooting more.

Him and Tatar sounds like a really good combination. Tatar is more of a sniper and Gus likes to make plays.

Nyquist didn't even win Hockey East player of the year, Butler did... I wouldn't say he's a lock for the Hobey... although Butler didn't do as much outside of HE as Nyquist. Smith should be in the running and there is a goalie whose name I can't recall who put up incredible numbers who should be in the top 5 as well.

So I am a Mainer who moved to NH, for a comparison as far as hockey fans go that would be like any of us Wings fans moving to Col.

I get a ton of UNH coverage, free channels, public access, NESN, etc... barely ever see a Maine game anymore unless they are playing UNH or BU or BC.

The point being what limited coverage I have seen of Nyguist (most of that in the Hockey East Tourney) is that he is a special teams guru, pp and pk, responsible in his own end, and responsible in the offensive zone.

UMaine is not like BU as far as offensive Defenseman go, but when they do step up, Nyquist covers the point very well, he cycles with his teammates very well, good puck sense.

I could be wrong, but the kid looks like a solid all around NHL caliber player.

I'm pretty sure that NCAA rules forbid playing in any other organized league, if if the player is not compensated. So I think the only way he signs an ATO is if he plans to play for the Griffins next year, which is not what I've been hearing.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=523464

Wings' Nyquist a Hobey finalist

Wednesday, 03.31.2010 / 3:36 PM / News

Detroit Red Wings

DETROIT -- Red Wings prospect and Maine sophomore forward Gustav Nyquist is one of three finalists for the 2010 Hobey Baker Award given annually to the top American collegiate hockey player.

The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation made the announcement on Wednesday.

The other two finalists, both senior forwards, are New Hampshire's Bobby Butler and Wisconsin's Blake Geoffrion.

The three finalists were selected from the initial list of Top 10 candidates by the 24-member Selection Committee and an additional round of online fan-balloting to determine this year’s Hobey Baker winner. Criteria for the award includes: strength of character on and off the ice, displaying outstanding skills in all phases of the game, sportsmanship and scholastic achievements.

This year’s Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced Friday, April 9 at Detroit's Ford Field during the NCAA Frozen Four. The 30th annual announcement will be aired live on ESPNU at 7 p.m., EDT.

Gustav Nyquist – University of Maine, Malmo, Sweden

A guiding light for the Maine Black Bears and a dynamic force in Hockey East, Gustav Nyquist still leads the nation in scoring by a comfortable eight-point margin; despite the fact Maine missed the NCAA post season tournament. Completing the season with 61 points in 39 games on 19 goals and 42 assists, Nyquist topped the country in both points and assists. In conference games, Maine ended the season tied for third place while Nyquist tied fellow Hobey finalist Bobby Butler for first in Hockey East scoring and topped the circuit in assists in league play. A fourth round draft pick of Detroit, Nyquist was runner-up for Hockey East Player of the Year and was selected as a First Team all-star. The Finance Major is on the Dean’s List at Maine. He volunteers off-ice time coaching at youth hockey clinics.

Bobby Butler – University of New Hampshire, Marlboro, Massachusetts

Butler is a finalist for not one, but three prestigious individual hockey awards: the Hobey Baker Award, the Hockey Humanitarian Award and the Walter Brown Award. Already named the Walter Brown recipient as the best American-born college player in New England, Butler has evolved into a prolific goal scorer leading the nation bagging 29 goals in 39 games this past season. He chipped in with 24 assists to total 53 points, tied for second best in the country. The Wildcat captain tied for the conference scoring lead in Hockey East tallying 41 total points and led the circuit in goals, helping UNH to the regular-season title. His efforts earned him Player of the Year honors in Hockey East and a berth as a First Team all-star. Butler is a Health Management Major and recently signed as a free agent with the Ottawa Senators. His outreach into the community is extensive. Butler volunteers for every assignment involving the hockey program, has attended a local middle school every week for the past three years working with special needs students, has mentored two children (one who lost his father to cancer and another child battling leukemia) and volunteers with his teammates in the Reading Across America program at area schools.

Blake Geoffrion – University of Wisconsin, Brentwood, Tennessee

Certainly the family bloodlines don’t hurt, but Blake Geoffrion has established himself as one of the nation’s premiere players. The tri-captain of the Frozen Four bound Badgers is a complete player. Utilized in all situations, Geoffrion skates a regular shift, receives ample special teams time on both power play and penalty killing, takes key faceoffs (where he is a remarkable 60% on faceoffs) and has an amazing shooting percentage of 23%. Geoffrion was named MVP of the West Regional and has 27 goals and 21 assists in 38 games ranking second in the nation in goal scoring while tied for first in the country with 14 power play goals. Finishing second in the WCHA scoring race and topping the conference in goals and power play goals, he was selected as a First Team all-star. And the family bloodlines? His dad Danny, granddad Bernie “Boom Boom” and his great grandpa Howie Morenz all played for the Montreal Canadiens. Boom Boom and Howie are both enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame and have nine Stanley Cups between them. Blake Geoffrion is a Consumer Science Major and spends time off the ice visiting UW Children’s Hospital, has been a mentor to a cancer patient and is a Peer Leader lending assistance to UW students. He is a second round draft pick of Nashville.

1254545221_43a7.jpg

Holland, naturally, was quite pleased with the news Thursday that two Red Wings 2009 draftees were among the 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award, given to the best collegiate hockey player in America.

Gustav Nyquist, a Swedish-born forward at Maine, was the Wings' fourth-round pick and Brendan Smith, an Ontario-born defenseman playing at Wisconsin, was their first-round pick.

"Good work by our scouts and it's a very encouraging start for that draft class," Holland said. "Those are two real good prospects, but it's still quite a process to go from college to juniors to the NHL. But to have two guys identified as elite players at the collegiate level is exciting for our franchise."

Wings goalie Jimmy Howard, who also played at Maine, is very familiar with Nyquist.

"He's real good," said Howard, who watched him play during the Olympic break and has skated with him in the past. "He's fast, he sees the ice well, he's a great passer and he makes guys around him a lot better. He needs to get stronger, but right now I would say he's kind of a poor man's Z (Henrik Zetterberg)."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100319/SPORTS0103/3190436/Wings-captain-Nicklas-Lidstrom--No-decision-yet-on-next-year#ixzz0jmzyqMAE