• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

Looking at the upcoming schedule today, I noticed something I had previously missed: though a lot of our matches are against teams that are out of playoff contention, many of them could have an unsettled grudge with the 'Wings.

St. Louis, Minnesota, Nashville, Edmonton, and Columbus are all teams we've been beating up on year after year in recent history, so I guess my question is this: will that be on their mind when they're playing us? Will they be thinking about how they may be able to knock us out of the 8th seed and get a little revenge?

Just thought it was a funny topic. ;)

#2 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Most likely. The majority of teams hate the Wings (envy) so the teams that have nothing to play for will be motivated with the sole purpose of ruining our season.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#3 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

Darn. I was hoping they would have no hard feelings and just give us the game.

#4 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

Well of course. Everyone wants to play spoiler. I'm sure the idea of playing spoiler to a team that's not usually in this scenario is extra motivation.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#5 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

We play s***ty against bad teams more then we do against good teams so this isn't going to be an "easy" schedule as some think.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#6 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Darn. I was hoping they would have no hard feelings and just give us the game.

:lol:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#7 HelmerFan

HelmerFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

Teams out of the playoff race will still play hard. What most people forget is that these guys are still playing for jobs. Coaches dont want to be fired so they'll try to show improvement with the team heading into the off season. Players coming up on UFA WANT to be picked up by a team so they play hard as well. All in all I dont think they will be trying to knock Detroit out of 8th seed as much as they will be trying to keep/get a job next year.

#8 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

We play s***ty against bad teams more then we do against good teams so this isn't going to be an "easy" schedule as some think.

No kidding. It's kind of strange I'd rather play the likes of San Jose, Vancouver and Chicago than the bottom-feeders. At least you know the Wings are going to show up for 60 minutes.

#9 ZetterbergFourty

ZetterbergFourty

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

Pretty good example of losing constantly to bottom feeders: games vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs.

They never seem to show up for even 5 minutes against those ticks.

Did I just call the Maple Leafs ticks? I sure did. Enjoy those picks, Boston.
"When we've got the puck, they can't score." - Paul Coffey

"I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out!" - Rodney Dangerfield

"Get used to this phrase: how could both referees have missed that?" - Mike Brophy

#10 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Pretty good example of losing constantly to bottom feeders: games vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs.

They never seem to show up for even 5 minutes against those ticks.

Did I just call the Maple Leafs ticks? I sure did. Enjoy those picks, Boston.

:lol: this post makes me happy!

it'll be nice to see tyler seguin replace kessell on the B's.

on topic: you guys are right that the wings play down to the level of s***ty teams and it's cost them lots of points this year. take this weekend for example. loss in a shootout to edmonton and them and OT win and regulation win against vancouver and s***tsburgh.

god i hope they beat nashville twice and columbus 3 times. nashville are effectively 4 point games and blue jackets just suck ass. and for f***s sake beat the oilers on the 30th!

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

Good start beating St. Louis tonight.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

speaking of revenge....... ::points to sig :D ::

Posted Image

#13 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:21 AM

There's probably some revenge or spoiler factor, but that's mostly press/newspaper clipping stuff IMO. If a team is all but out of a postseason attempt, players might say stuff like that, but they're probably more worried about doing well/winning first due to being naturally competitive.

#14 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

Looking at the upcoming schedule today, I noticed something I had previously missed: though a lot of our matches are against teams that are out of playoff contention, many of them could have an unsettled grudge with the 'Wings.

St. Louis, Minnesota, Nashville, Edmonton, and Columbus are all teams we've been beating up on year after year in recent history, so I guess my question is this: will that be on their mind when they're playing us? Will they be thinking about how they may be able to knock us out of the 8th seed and get a little revenge?

Just thought it was a funny topic. ;)

Way I see it, we still owe Edmonton from 2006.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya