• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
softshoes

SI power ranking.

Rate this topic

Well somehow the Wings dropped from 8th to 9th in TSN's rankings and they even highlighted the wings going 5-0-1 yet somehow knocked em down a spot. Again, it's power rankings so it holds about a -50 on the meaningful scale.

AS sweet as it was to see having the Wings back near the top of the league in those rankings I'd say a 3rd place ranking is a little inflated. Yeah the Wings are playing really good hockey right now and yeah if I were any other team I'd hate to draw them in the first round but they still have a lot to do before I'd consider them the 3rd best team in the league at the moment.

AS sweet as it was to see having the Wings back near the top of the league in those rankings I'd say a 3rd place ranking is a little inflated. Yeah the Wings are playing really good hockey right now and yeah if I were any other team I'd hate to draw them in the first round but they still have a lot to do before I'd consider them the 3rd best team in the league at the moment.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that they change power rankings from week to week. So they really aren't a measure of the best teams in the league, rather best teams at the moment (and I would assume their overall record is taken into account somewhat.)

Guest mindfly

I can see washington, chicago, phoenix.. maybe vancouver ahead of wings but then its detroit so maybe 5th would be closer to the trouth

I hate "Power Rankings". I understand the concept of "Some teams are playing better NOW than their overall record indicates", but that's what a Last 10 games split is for. The only possible rationale for having the Wings ranked 3rd are the history of what this team did in 2008 and 2009. But even with everyone healthy, this team lost like 25% of its scoring and replaced it with guys like Bert and Jason Williams.

The idea that we're "better" than the Penguins AND Hawks right now from an objective standpoint is just B.S. I'm a huge Wings fan, and of course it's possible we could beat them in a playoff series, but you can't pretend like some of the larger problems facing the Wings this year have suddenly disappeared.

I hate "Power Rankings". I understand the concept of "Some teams are playing better NOW than their overall record indicates", but that's what a Last 10 games split is for. The only possible rationale for having the Wings ranked 3rd are the history of what this team did in 2008 and 2009. But even with everyone healthy, this team lost like 25% of its scoring and replaced it with guys like Bert and Jason Williams.

The idea that we're "better" than the Penguins AND Hawks right now from an objective standpoint is just B.S. I'm a huge Wings fan, and of course it's possible we could beat them in a playoff series, but you can't pretend like some of the larger problems facing the Wings this year have suddenly disappeared.

dude, chill. It's just a fun/stupid little thing a few websites do from week to week, no need to dive so much into it.

The idea that we're "better" than the Penguins AND Hawks right now from an objective standpoint is just B.S.

Hrm well since the Wings have beaten both of those teams this month since being healthy Id venture to say that yes they are better than both of those teams "right now". Will they be better than either of those teams come April is the question.