• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pjgj13

Don't Look Now!

Rate this topic

But if Colorado can beat the Kings, the Wings will be 2 points away from being tied for 5th in conference. Yeah, I know about the tiebreakers, but 2 points separating 4 teams with less than 10 games left should make for an interesting 2-3 weeks!

Edited by pjgj13

The top 4 and bottom 4 seeds could basically end up in a million different ways. It's impossible to say who will face who in the 1st round at this point.

Like you say, the last weeks will be fun, I just hope Calgary chokes and fades away so we don't have to worry about falling to 9th atleast.

About the only thing that worries me now, ironically enough, is that we have 5 games against the bottom 3 teams in the West (and 4 of them at home). Far too many 'trap' games for my liking. Then we have the Preds and Flyers (both fighting for playoff spots themselves) on the road, and both the 2nd night of back to back for us. Looks easy on paper, but I hate our schedule. Probably because if we miss now, it would have to go down as an epic collapse.

That said, I think we'll beat Nashville twice, leapfrog them and either the Avs or Kings, and end up in the 6 spot against Vancouver.

This is such a crazy year that they may just as well be better off being 8 than 5 (A lot of people would rather the Wings play SJ than PHO, I'm not sure). Every team in the West playoff picture is so good this year that anybody could beat anybody. Obviously it's great to see them keep moving up, but I honestly don't know who I want them to face in the first round if they make it. It's like picking the lesser of seven evils. If only they were in the lEast...

Obviously it's great to see them keep moving up, but I honestly don't know who I want them to face in the first round if they make it. It's like picking the lesser of seven evils. If only they were in the lEast...

Goalie issues aside, I still think Chicago is the best of those seven, so I'd prefer not to play them first. I also like the thought of being in fifth if only to avoid having to go through 1-2-3 (in theory) to get to the finals. Heck, if they're five and win in the first, they could end up with home ice in the second.

About the only thing that worries me now, ironically enough, is that we have 5 games against the bottom 3 teams in the West (and 4 of them at home). Far too many 'trap' games for my liking. Then we have the Preds and Flyers (both fighting for playoff spots themselves) on the road, and both the 2nd night of back to back for us. Looks easy on paper, but I hate our schedule. Probably because if we miss now, it would have to go down as an epic collapse.

That said, I think we'll beat Nashville twice, leapfrog them and either the Avs or Kings, and end up in the 6 spot against Vancouver.

Honestly, I dont want the six seed. Vancouver scares me the most. That being said, I have a hard time believing we dont make up two points in the last nine games, (albeit La has a game in hand on us) and we jump to the 5 seed.

I just dont see San Jose making a long run, I think Chicagos goaltending will catch up to them in the playoffs, and as for Phoenix, its very unusual for a young team to make a long run. They will have to take their lumps before they can be considered a legitimate threat in my book.

As far as I see it, the Wings have as good of a shot as anyone to come out of the west, Vancouver being the strongest opponent, which is why I dont want to see them first.

Edited by wingsownnhl43

imagine how Calgary feels. As long as we have 8th I'm not crying that we can't catch the teams above us.

If you look at the remaining schedules for the Wings, Preds, & Avalance, there is no reason why your boys don't move up to 6th, with Nashville and Colorado finishing 7th & 8th respectively.

I wouldn't even worry about Calgary, they still have Boston, Washington, Phoenix, Colorado, Chicago, San Jose, & Vancouver left on their schedule, are 4 pts back and have played 1 more game. That team is done.

And to be completely honest if I were to rank the teams I dont want to face in the playoffs (west) this year, it be...

1. Anaheim (Not even kidding)

2. Vancouver

3. Chicago

4. San Jose.

I would put LA in this list just after Vancouver. Their offense is like a sleeping giant. If they find a way to wake it up nobody would feel comfortable against them. At least we know what to expect out of Chicago and San Jose.

Goalie issues aside, I still think Chicago is the best of those seven, so I'd prefer not to play them first. I also like the thought of being in fifth if only to avoid having to go through 1-2-3 (in theory) to get to the finals. Heck, if they're five and win in the first, they could end up with home ice in the second.

Vancover is a much stronger team in net and has more talent up front then Hawks, as of now they are the only top seed that would worry me in the playoffs

And to be completely honest if I were to rank the teams I dont want to face in the playoffs (west) this year, it be...

1. Anaheim (Not even kidding)

2. Vancouver

3. Chicago

4. San Jose.

My list would be:

1. Chicago

2. Vancouver

I think those are the two teams we would have a lot of trouble with in the first round. I think we would have an easier time with the other 5 teams... not easy, but less threatening

Whether they are the 5th seed or the 8th seed or anywhere in between doesn't make much difference to me. If you aren't in the top 4, I don't think it matters as much. If your goal is to get to the finals, then you are going to have to face the best teams (theoretically) at some point. Regardless, no matter who you get in round 1 (1-4), it's going to be a good team.

It's highly unlikely that they're going to get in the top 4, so I think the only goal would be to get in, to me, getting higher than 8th doesn't really help that much, I know, every little bit counts and could give you home ice in later rounds, but barring upsets (which often do happen though), that's not going to happen.