• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Howard - Rookie of The Year?

Rate this topic

Do you guys think he will get the rookie of the year. A goalie is probably hardest position to come in and start helping the team win games and is the most essential part of the team.

There's Myers - Duchene - Tavares - Riemsdyk - Bergfors - but none of this players strike me as worthy to be the rookie of the year.

Howard has posted a record thus far of:

30 Wins

15 Loss

09 Loss

01 SO

SV % .924

GAA 2.30

*SV % and GAA haven't been updated for the 30th game*

+ He can grab a couple more wins by the season ends.

Your thoughts fellow fans.

Edited by KrazyGangsta

Guest mindfly

I would have liked to see him with more SO considering the amounts of 1 and 2goal games he had.

I think Myers will get it. There has been so much media hype for the guy all year, that it would be weird for him NOT to win. Not saying he isnt a great player, but at the same time I dont think Howard is getting much credit.

Mason's win last year had a lot to do with his SO, IMO and I think thats the one blemish on Howards record.

My guess for Calder voting is

1. Myers

2. Howard

3. Duchene

I mean it's entirely possible with the way this team has been playing for Jimmy to get 35 or more wins. I just don't understand how they couldn't give him rookie of the year after winning (possibly) 35+ games.

Edit: Mason won 33 games last year with a .916 save % and a 2.29 GAA, for comparison.

Edited by henrik40

I think Myers will get it. There has been so much media hype for the guy all year, that it would be weird for him NOT to win. Not saying he isnt a great player, but at the same time I dont think Howard is getting much credit.

If Myers gets it at least he'll deserve it much more than Barrett Jackass did when apparently they were desperate to give one to a defenseman according to some. Poor Z. :ranting:

I'm feeling 65% Myers 30% Howard 5% other. Myers has been really solid on defense, and no rookie D is really giving him any competition. While Howard has played in many more games and has carried his team to a much higher degree, he still has to compete with Rask's numbers which are very solid.

I'm feeling 65% Myers 30% Howard 5% other. Myers has been really solid on defense, and no rookie D is really giving him any competition. While Howard has played in many more games and has carried his team to a much higher degree, he still has to compete with Rask's numbers which are very solid.

Based on the number of games played Raskk is ineligible so that's not a big factor. He's been able to cherry pick his opponents to a degree while Howard has not. Although I don't want to take anything away from Raskk because he's had a great season and definitely deserves credit.

In all honesty, if the Wings make the post season Howard will be standing at around 35 wins. If he can put that many wins up with his current save percentage and goals against or even improve on those stats I think he has a very strong argument for the Calder.

If he does win it I don't think that's a good thing for the Wings unless they plan on trading him (which I strongly doubt they would). Having a Calder will only inflate Howard's salary next summer when it's time for him to re-sign.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Based on the number of games played Raskk is ineligible so that's not a big factor. He's been able to cherry pick his opponents to a degree while Howard has not. Although I don't want to take anything away from Raskk because he's had a great season and definitely deserves credit.

In all honesty, if the Wings make the post season Howard will be standing at around 35 wins. If he can put that many wins up with his current save percentage and goals against or even improve on those stats I think he has a very strong argument for the Calder.

If he does win it I don't think that's a good thing for the Wings unless they plan on trading him (which I strongly doubt they would). Having a Calder will only inflate Howard's salary next summer when it's time for him to re-sign.

How many games are required to be eligible for Calder?

Guest Crymson

If Rask plays his remaining 10 games, I wouldn't be so sure Howard winning it. This is Red Wings. Even Osgood has been good behind this team.

Leading the league in gaa and save% is pretty good.

I don't know exactly what you're talking about. This team has been wracked by injuries all season long, and Howard is probably the single biggest reason they're in playoff contention at the moment. He stepped up.

Today i heard on TV the only thing keeping Howard from winnging is his age being 6 years older then some of the guys. I personally believe he should win not because im a Wings fan but because without Howards play this season we wouldn't be in the position were in now. He went from AHL goalie to NHL starter pretty much over night. With 30 wins already and in the top 5 and 10 for some stats is already outstanding, i think he will finish with 36 wins. Just imagine if he had a healthy team infront of him all season long. Then again he might not have got the chance if Ozzy wasn't getting lit up during our injuries.

You're going to hate me for this, but if the Bruins make the playoffs... I'd give Tuuka Rask the award before Howard, but overall Myers is the winner IMO.

...Wait, I didn't realize he only started 32 games.

Edited by BeeRYCE

I'm surprised no one (particularly here) brings up the fact Myers plays in front of Ryan Miller.

or maybe Ryan Miller's success is directly attributable to Tyler Myers! Which came first - the chicken or the egg? It's unfortunate that Myers and Duchene have had the hype machine rolling along all season while Howard has quietly gone about his business. Howard is almost going to identically match Steve Mason's Calder-winning campaign from last year, with the obvious exception of shutouts, but I still think he's going to finish 3rd in voting. The fact that many people have Rask in the discussion is mind-boggling to me. He's played 18 less games than Howard and has faced only 63% of the rubber that Jimmy has. The disparity in sample size is far too great to even keep Rask in the discussion as far as I'm concerned.

or maybe Ryan Miller's success is directly attributable to Tyler Myers!

I was just going to say that... I mean seriously look at the rest of Buffalo's defense core. There's Tyler Myers, and the rest of the regulars could be full time AHLers or regular call ups on any decent defensive roster. A lot of Buffalo's success is directed to Ryan Miller, but when you look at the roster... Boatloads of credit is due to Myers' success.

I was just going to say that... I mean seriously look at the rest of Buffalo's defense core. There's Tyler Myers, and the rest of the regulars could be full time AHLers or regular call ups on any decent defensive roster. A lot of Buffalo's success is directed to Ryan Miller, but when you look at the roster... Boatloads of credit is due to Myers' success.

Well I was being sarcastic, but I get your point :P

Howard has an outstanding glove and he's very quick.

He is a wonderful goaltender for the first save, however i'm quite concerned about him making the second and third saves, he's often out of position after the 1st. Also, he usually gives up juicy rebonds just in front of the crease.

So far he has the usual statistics of RW goalies. 0.920 save%, 2.29 GAA

Legace had sometimes even better figures, but screwed us in the playoffs.

Rask has a better save percentage, a better GAA and more shutouts than Howie.

If Rask plays the majority of Boston's games (instead of TT) and keeps up the same numbers, I think he will (and should) get the Calder

Guest mindfly

Rask has a better save percentage, a better GAA and more shutouts than Howie.

If Rask plays the majority of Boston's games (instead of TT) and keeps up the same numbers, I think he will (and should) get the Calder

You're just crying because your homeboy doesn't get to play games :P