• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Filppula following similar path to Datsyuk...?

Rate this topic

In 2002/03, Datsyuk had 9 points in his first 23 games. He then got injured, missed some time, and came back with 3 points from 2 games before going pointless in 8 straight. He then exploded with 12 points from 11 games in February, 23 from 16 in March and 3/3 in April. Had a stretch where he picked up 15 points in 7 games. Safe to say he hasn't looked back since. He started to shoot more, the points came and during the latter stages of 2002/03, when Datsyuk was 24, we saw his obvious potential become a reality.

In 2009/10, Filppula had 6 points in his first 11 games. Got injured, missed a ton of time, came back with 1 point in 4 games. Then he started to find form, 19 points in 28 games. He's now on a tear, 8 points in 3 games, the start of something similar to what Datsyuk began way back in 2002/03? I'm thinking there's a very similar pattern developing.

Pavel Datsyuk:

2001-02 DET 70 11 24 35

2002-03 DET 64 12 39 51 (0.79 PPG)

Valtteri Filppula:

2008-09 DET 80 12 28 40

2009-10 DET 46 11 23 34 (0.74 PPG)

Now I'm not for one minute saying Flip will develop into the scoring machine Datsyuk is but I think we can at least recognise that the potential of Filppula IS extremely high. Just as long as he continues to believe in his own ability and shoot the puck more, we've got another big time scorer on our hands. What do you think?

Speaking of hands, that is the one thing Dats always had and will over Flip. I love Flip, but I don't think we will ever hear "Filppulian Deke". They are similar in that it has taken a while (or is taking a while in the case of Flip) for them to get their heads straight and their confidence going. I just don't think Flip has the potential offensive upside that was always there for Dats or even close. His great work ethic should get him a boatload of points in his career though. Defensively, I think he could be a Selke nominee in a couple/few years time.

Edited by kook_10

Speaking of hands, that is the one thing Dats always had and will over Flip. I love Flip, but I don't think we will ever hear "Filpullian Deke". They are similar in that it has taken a while (or is taking a while in the case of Flip) for them to get their heads straight and their confidence going. I just don't think Flip has the potential offensive upside that was always there for Dats. Defensively, I think he could be a Selke nominee in a couple/few years time.

Filppula is doubtlessly #2 on the wings in terms of crafty moves out on the ice. But no player in the league can do what Datsyuk does.

But really, these past few games have made me start to wonder. I mean, what if Flip has in him what NONE of us have thought he could possibly do? 80 points? 90 points? I'm not saying he'll get that much but 8 points in 3 games is no fluke.

It should be an interesting year next year. And and interesting playoffs.

Filppula is doubtlessly #2 on the wings in terms of crafty moves out on the ice. But no player in the league can do what Datsyuk does.

But really, these past few games have made me start to wonder. I mean, what if Flip has in him what NONE of us have thought he could possibly do? 80 points? 90 points? I'm not saying he'll get that much but 8 points in 3 games is no fluke.

It should be an interesting year next year. And and interesting playoffs.

I love Fil, but let's be honest. One of his goals last night was flukey and the other was an empty netter. 6 points in 3 games is still real nice though.

Guest Shoreline

The numbers shown there make no sense, which is why I hate using stats for an argument (or just maybe dislike an obsession with numbers) and am really turned off by people's manipulation of them. The stats used for Pavel's are his 1st and 2nd season as a Red Wing. The stats used for Flip's are 4th and 5th seasons. How are these alike at all?

Edited by Shoreline

When he first came into the league, Datsyuk already had tremendous moves and balance with the puck.

Flip is still too wild out there with his stickhandling and falls down way too much. He needs to work on his balance a bit better.

He has a chance to get better if he shoots more, but I don't see him scoring around 100 points in back to back years. Datsyuk is a rare player.

personally i think the best part is, and many of you will probably agree, is that with flip playing so well with Z lately, it opens up for dats and franzen to be paired together and the wings still have a pretty good 1-2 punch. the only thing i would do differently with the lines is put helm on with Z and flip cause he's fast and gets the puck from the corners and is pretty good on the cycle. that line would be a wrecking ball. maybe if bert doesn't sign next year that would be an option...or just move bert down now.

sure is good to see filppula kickin' ass with Z though.

When Filppula came into the league, I remember some describing him as a hybrid between Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Now, I just don't think he has that high-end offensive potential--but who knows? He's shown two significant flashes of offensive greatness: now and in late '07 when he had 9 goals in 10 games on Datsyuk's wing.

It's important to remember that Pav and Z never had the greatest shots either. And Fil's unwillingness to shoot almost mirrors Datsyuk's same unwillingness early on in his career. Even more, I actually think Filppula is a faster skater than either Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If he can be more assertive in creating scoring chances, perhaps the sky is the limit.

He doesn't get knocked off the puck much anymore and is great at holding onto the puck and passing it off in the offensive zone. Additionally, he flat-out flies through the neutral zone. The only thing is that he seems to lack the poise and calmness that Datsyuk and Zetterberg have. He's always a little frantic on the ice. But, if everything in his game comes together, maybe it's not so absurd to suggest he can become at least a Datsyuk/Zetterberg lite--a 70 point player with great defensive instincts.

And if he does somehow become as good at Dats/Hank, it sure would be awesome to have the Euro Triplets.

The numbers shown there make no sense, which is why I hate using stats for an argument (or just maybe dislike an obsession with numbers) and am really turned off by people's manipulation of them. The stats used for Pavel's are his 1st and 2nd season as a Red Wing. The stats used for Flip's are 4th and 5th seasons. How are these alike at all?

:clap: thats what I was thinking, not trying to take the actual point from the OP though, because I think Flip is a slow developer and will be what alot of us tought he would...however comparing those numbers and saying there the same is just strange; alot teams wouldve traded flip by now.

does filppula have the potential to be a perennial 60-80 point producer?

He would've had over 60 points this season without the injuries with this pace so far (whole season).

He will never be as good as Datsyuk is. I just hope he stays healthy and he will be very important player for us.

Filpulla is constantly improving, which is huge.

That said, Datsyuk learned from guys like Hull, Yzerman, Fedorov, Larionov, etc. his rookie year. That is huge on a player's development. Also Datsyuk when it comes to skills with the puck is bar none the best in the NHL. Filppula will never be close to that level. He may be crafty with the puck and be able to bring consistent offense to the team in a year or two, but he will not be a Datsyuk.

I doubt he will ever be as good as Datsyuk, but the kid still hasnt reached his ceiling. He has the tools to be a great player, so you never know how good someone can be when they have confidence. (Ex. Franzen) No one expected him to be a 40 goal caliber player.

Theres no doubt in my mind that he can be a 70 pt guy in this league. Combine that with his skills as a defensive forward and I think the Filppula VS Hudler debate needs to come to an abrupt halt.

Edited by wingsownnhl43

I have been saying this for awhile. He is on a similar path. Similar player. Datsyuk is above and beyond player, but they think the same way. Filppula even practices moves with Datsyuk, when the Wings do their individual stuff in each practice.

Maybe he was going for age.

Datsyuk was 23 at the start of the 01-02 season. Filppula was 23 at the start of 07-08. If you go by age you can compare Pav at 35 and 51 points to Fil at 36 and 40.

The emphasis here is on ppg rate though. Pav was at 0.79 at age 24 while Fil was at 0.50 rate. The next year Pav had a rate of 0.907 while Fil today is at 0.74 ppg. With Fedorov gone, Pav had to produce more points and got consistent ice time with scoring line quality linemates. Fil still bounced between 3rd and 2nd this year and hasn't had as good of quality of linemates as Pav did back then.

Now, I'm not trying to diminish or exaggerate either of their stats. The main point to take away from all this is that year by year Fil is progressing at a rate that is satisfactory for someone with a ceiling of 'quality second line center'. I wouldn't say he has tremendously exceeded the Wings' expectations but at the very least he has met them and his progress is right on schedule if not decently ahead of time.

He'll be a good player certainly, I'm not his biggest fan, but just like Bert, he's a heck of a dude with some confidence and when he's shooting the puck. I think with Fils developing "starness" as a winger on Z's line really helps usout going forward. I'm looking to the offseason here but, If the lines stay the same and you re-sign Bert and Homer for around the same price, you have 2 very, very good lines with size and talent. Then the bottom lines you move out Williams and make Miller the extra forward and bring in Abdelkader as the 3rd line center and bring in another winger (in the Armstrong/Torres mold) and you're golden. Fil's potential and his continuing development is gonna be real big for the Red Wings going forward.

Surely you don't count a 4 game period a SEASON? :lol:

I know it was Dats' 2nd and Flip's 4th, but some people take longer to get 'it' than others. In Flip's case he's taken a long time to figure out he needs to shoot the puck more and when his confidence is high he can be an outstanding point producer.

Fil is a 60-70 point per year player. Maybe more if he has a top of the line winger, but that's about his range.

He won't win a Selke.

He'll likely never be the guy when it comes to a faceoff win that is absolutely needed.

that said, him playing well is a key to this team's success this year. He's not Datsyuk, but Datsyuk is on his own level.

Surely you don't count a 4 game period a SEASON? :lol:

I know it was Dats' 2nd and Flip's 4th, but some people take longer to get 'it' than others. In Flip's case he's taken a long time to figure out he needs to shoot the puck more and when his confidence is high he can be an outstanding point producer.

A part of Datsyuk's increase in points has to be attributed to the fact that the team back then truly needed him to provide secondary scoring. If I'm not mistaked Pav was officially the Wings' second line center. Fil knows that the team has Pav and Z and so he can have a mindset like "play good defense and be happy with whatever offense I can get."