• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RainingBlood

RainingBlood

Well thats my momma

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

While coaching the Grand Rapids Redwings for a lot of the season. Does Babcock have a shot at the Jack Adams if the Wings can clinch shortly. Also on a side note I believe Lilja should win the Comeback player of the year, for his drive to come back, and for being out of hockey for over a year he has really played well. The penalty kill since he has come back has been amazing.

#2 lets go pavel

lets go pavel

Pacifiers are for pansies. I chew pucks!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

While coaching the Grand Rapids Redwings for a lot of the season. Does Babcock have a shot at the Jack Adams if the Wings can clinch shortly. Also on a side note I believe Lilja should win the Comeback player of the year, for his drive to come back, and for being out of hockey for over a year he has really played well. The penalty kill since he has come back has been amazing.

Nope, I don't think so. He deserves mention, but I'm pretty sure they've already engraved Dave Tippett's name on it.

Lilja winning the Masterton is certainly a possibility.
"The one thing I love about Datsyuk, and there is much to love, is that no other player is like him. And, at least in recent history, it's hard to think of any player who has really been like him. He is a unique freak of nature in how he stick checks and operates in tight quarters. It's amazing how he deceives people from a stand-still position or when he isn't moving very fast. He is hockey's David Blaine." -- John Buccigross

#3 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

With all our injuries this season, he should definitely have a shot at being nominated. But I can't see anyone other than Dave Tippett winning it this year.

Besides, as Babcock says, the best coach in the league is the one that wins the Stanley Cup. That almost makes the Jack Adams seem irrelevant.

#4 Jedi

Jedi

Galmar Stone-Fist. Stormcloak. Wings Fan.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

He certainly deserves to be a finalist, but I think it has to go to Dave Tippett.

Stepping in at the time he did, right in the pre-season, with everyone what was going on with the franchise, Gretzky had just left, rumors of possible relocation, etc. No one predicted Phoenix to have anywhere near as good a season as they have. He's done a great job turning that team around, and (IMO) is a lock for the Jack Adams this year.

2cwlto0.jpg

#5 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

He has no chance.

Tippet and Sacco have had much more "wow" years than he has with less talent(when you have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Franzen on your team your team should be a lock to make the playoffs) and the wow factor always wins out.

The thing is why doesn't Trotz get any mention? The guy brings a winning team almost every year and they are never close to the cap hit.

Posted Image

#6 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

He's deserved it every year... but you really can't argue with what Dave Tippett has done in PHX...

As for the Masterson, I think Lilja deserves to at bare minimum be nominated and in my mind, deserves it more than anyone in the league right now... a full year out of hockey and then to be as effective as he has... big stuff...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#7 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

It's Tippett's.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#8 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

I agree with all of you they might as well give the jack adams award right now to Dave Tippet. I always thought that he was a very good coach and that dallas made a bad mistake in firing him and hiring Crawfish.
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#9 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:03 PM

He has no chance.

Tippet and Sacco have had much more "wow" years than he has with less talent(when you have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Franzen on your team your team should be a lock to make the playoffs) and the wow factor always wins out.

The thing is why doesn't Trotz get any mention? The guy brings a winning team almost every year and they are never close to the cap hit.

Why don't they get closer to the cap then buy some better players? is the owner really that poor?

#10 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

Tippett, Trotz & Ruff. Those would be my candidates.

#11 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Why don't they get closer to the cap then buy some better players? is the owner really that poor?

http://www.forbes.co...ors_310472.html

They were the 27th most valuable team last year. They are not a powder keg of business.

Posted Image

#12 RedArmy

RedArmy

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Tippett, Trotz & Ruff. Those would be my candidates.

you know what those make a lot of sense... Granted Babcock had to deal with injured players and etc, but Wings star players were inconsistent through out the season. Even Lids had a very slow start and I get why, but still...

#13 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Tippett Going away, without a question!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#14 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

you know what those make a lot of sense... Granted Babcock had to deal with injured players and etc, but Wings star players were inconsistent through out the season. Even Lids had a very slow start and I get why, but still...

All teams, well most, have to deal with injuries. We sit it as being really significant with the Wings because we watch them closer, but there are other teams in teh league that have been worse of from that perspective this year.

With respect to star players being inconsistent, well, I don't think that is a real good reason for why someone should be considered for coach of the year, probably has the opposite effect.

To answer the original question....NO, Babcock has no chance. He won't even be in the top 3 vote getters (there is no concept of being nominated, I believe the only award that has nominees is the masterton (30 nominees, 1 from each team).

#15 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'd nominate Tippet, Trotz, and Sacco... but it's in the bag for Tippet without a doubt, what a phenomenal job he's done

#16 RedArmy

RedArmy

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

All teams, well most, have to deal with injuries. We sit it as being really significant with the Wings because we watch them closer, but there are other teams in teh league that have been worse of from that perspective this year.

With respect to star players being inconsistent, well, I don't think that is a real good reason for why someone should be considered for coach of the year, probably has the opposite effect.

To answer the original question....NO, Babcock has no chance. He won't even be in the top 3 vote getters (there is no concept of being nominated, I believe the only award that has nominees is the masterton (30 nominees, 1 from each team).

yea I think you misunderstood, I was saying that because of that it shouldn't be Babcock and I was agreeing with the other choices of Tippet, Trotz and Ruff... I wasn't being sarcastic, I do agree everyone battles with injuries and its the coach's job to get the most out of star players. Overall, I think Babcock did do a fine job, just not fantastic to be nominated for anything...

#17 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

The Jack Adams is something of a joke anyway. Its the "who gets an average team to play above average for a season" award. Pat Burns has more (3) than Scotty Bowman!!!! (2). Pat Quinn also has 2 :doh: Bill Barber and Bob Francis have won it the last decade and where are these great coaches now? Nowhere.

Listen, if Babcock couldn't win it in 2008 when we were 1st in shots taken, 2nd in goals scored, 1st in shots against, 1st in goals against, 1st in points and won the Stanley Cup, he sure as hell ain't gunna do it this year.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk