• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RainingBlood

Does babcock have a shot at the Jack Adams Award

Rate this topic

While coaching the Grand Rapids Redwings for a lot of the season. Does Babcock have a shot at the Jack Adams if the Wings can clinch shortly. Also on a side note I believe Lilja should win the Comeback player of the year, for his drive to come back, and for being out of hockey for over a year he has really played well. The penalty kill since he has come back has been amazing.

While coaching the Grand Rapids Redwings for a lot of the season. Does Babcock have a shot at the Jack Adams if the Wings can clinch shortly. Also on a side note I believe Lilja should win the Comeback player of the year, for his drive to come back, and for being out of hockey for over a year he has really played well. The penalty kill since he has come back has been amazing.

Nope, I don't think so. He deserves mention, but I'm pretty sure they've already engraved Dave Tippett's name on it.

Lilja winning the Masterton is certainly a possibility.

With all our injuries this season, he should definitely have a shot at being nominated. But I can't see anyone other than Dave Tippett winning it this year.

Besides, as Babcock says, the best coach in the league is the one that wins the Stanley Cup. That almost makes the Jack Adams seem irrelevant.

He certainly deserves to be a finalist, but I think it has to go to Dave Tippett.

Stepping in at the time he did, right in the pre-season, with everyone what was going on with the franchise, Gretzky had just left, rumors of possible relocation, etc. No one predicted Phoenix to have anywhere near as good a season as they have. He's done a great job turning that team around, and (IMO) is a lock for the Jack Adams this year.

He has no chance.

Tippet and Sacco have had much more "wow" years than he has with less talent(when you have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Franzen on your team your team should be a lock to make the playoffs) and the wow factor always wins out.

The thing is why doesn't Trotz get any mention? The guy brings a winning team almost every year and they are never close to the cap hit.

He's deserved it every year... but you really can't argue with what Dave Tippett has done in PHX...

As for the Masterson, I think Lilja deserves to at bare minimum be nominated and in my mind, deserves it more than anyone in the league right now... a full year out of hockey and then to be as effective as he has... big stuff...

Guest mindfly

He has no chance.

Tippet and Sacco have had much more "wow" years than he has with less talent(when you have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Franzen on your team your team should be a lock to make the playoffs) and the wow factor always wins out.

The thing is why doesn't Trotz get any mention? The guy brings a winning team almost every year and they are never close to the cap hit.

Why don't they get closer to the cap then buy some better players? is the owner really that poor?

Tippett, Trotz & Ruff. Those would be my candidates.

you know what those make a lot of sense... Granted Babcock had to deal with injured players and etc, but Wings star players were inconsistent through out the season. Even Lids had a very slow start and I get why, but still...

you know what those make a lot of sense... Granted Babcock had to deal with injured players and etc, but Wings star players were inconsistent through out the season. Even Lids had a very slow start and I get why, but still...

All teams, well most, have to deal with injuries. We sit it as being really significant with the Wings because we watch them closer, but there are other teams in teh league that have been worse of from that perspective this year.

With respect to star players being inconsistent, well, I don't think that is a real good reason for why someone should be considered for coach of the year, probably has the opposite effect.

To answer the original question....NO, Babcock has no chance. He won't even be in the top 3 vote getters (there is no concept of being nominated, I believe the only award that has nominees is the masterton (30 nominees, 1 from each team).

All teams, well most, have to deal with injuries. We sit it as being really significant with the Wings because we watch them closer, but there are other teams in teh league that have been worse of from that perspective this year.

With respect to star players being inconsistent, well, I don't think that is a real good reason for why someone should be considered for coach of the year, probably has the opposite effect.

To answer the original question....NO, Babcock has no chance. He won't even be in the top 3 vote getters (there is no concept of being nominated, I believe the only award that has nominees is the masterton (30 nominees, 1 from each team).

yea I think you misunderstood, I was saying that because of that it shouldn't be Babcock and I was agreeing with the other choices of Tippet, Trotz and Ruff... I wasn't being sarcastic, I do agree everyone battles with injuries and its the coach's job to get the most out of star players. Overall, I think Babcock did do a fine job, just not fantastic to be nominated for anything...

The Jack Adams is something of a joke anyway. Its the "who gets an average team to play above average for a season" award. Pat Burns has more (3) than Scotty Bowman!!!! (2). Pat Quinn also has 2 :doh: Bill Barber and Bob Francis have won it the last decade and where are these great coaches now? Nowhere.

Listen, if Babcock couldn't win it in 2008 when we were 1st in shots taken, 2nd in goals scored, 1st in shots against, 1st in goals against, 1st in points and won the Stanley Cup, he sure as hell ain't gunna do it this year.