• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xtrememachine1

Buying NHL jerseys on eBay

Rate this topic

I'm looking at NHL jerseys on eBay and the prices are insanely low. Some of these jerseys would go for well over $100 on NHL.com, but on eBay they're like $40-60. What is the deal with this? Is this too good to be true? Has anyone ever bought a jersey on eBay? I saw an authentic Ovechkin jersey with the captain "C" not get bid on 4 times priced at $49.99

http://myworld.ebay.com/sprintnownetwork/

I'm looking at NHL jerseys on eBay and the prices are insanely low. Some of these jerseys would go for well over $100 on NHL.com, but on eBay they're like $40-60. What is the deal with this? Is this too good to be true? Has anyone ever bought a jersey on eBay? I saw an authentic Ovechkin jersey with the captain "C" not get bid on 4 times priced at $49.99

http://myworld.ebay....rintnownetwork/

They're likely knockoffs like the ones sold on DHGate and the like. That said, I have a couple knockoffs (a Zetterberg Winter Classic and a Ryan Miller Sabres) and they're both fantastic and I personally can't tell the different between those and the ones on NHL.com.

http://myworld.ebay.com/sprintnownetwork/

They're definitely knock offs. There was a whole thread that lead, ultimately, to a debate about them. I have 2 now (Zetterberg white, Hossa red) and love them both. It's really just a matter of scouring and lucking out when it comes to knock offs. Some are really passable, and some look like trash - though others will argue that they're all trash.

If you can't justify dropping $200 on a Reebok EDGE sweater then I recommend going with a knock off. An 'authentic' from NHL.com or Dunham's isn't going to be much better. The major issue when it comes to Wings jerseys is the NOB, which is usually screwed up by those who make knock offs. NHL.com produces the right lettering, but on a poorly attached name plate - which the Wings obviously don't use.

I've even toyed with the idea of buying a blank knock off and having the lettering sewn on by a company like SportsK, I'd bet no one would be the wiser. Then again, though, you're spending upwards of $100 which - for a broke college student like myself - would get me murdered by my girlfriend.

Speaking as someone who did a lot of searching for the best quality knock-off I could find, you'll want to be leery of the jersey-on-the-blank-mannequin photos like the Ovechkin jersey in question. Often these images end up floating all around the internet and may not actually look anything like the jersey that specific seller might have. It's best to contact the seller in any situation where a cheap jersey is involved and request actual pictures of the jersey they're selling. If they're honest, they generally don't have a problem with them.

So to conclude my novel, if you have any other questions just pm me.

Just an observation I had last year during the Wings-Hawks series. I had tickets for Game 1 and saw two guys wearing Toews Winter Classic jerseys walking up to the Joe. One was clearly a knock off as the colors shades did not match up at all with the other. Had they not been walking together I wouldn't have noticed anything strange but together it was so obvious even an NHL ref could see.

For me, I couldn't stand having a jersey that didn't look quite right. I had to send my Ovechkin jersey back from NHL.com simply because they use the damn name plate.

I almost got suckered into buying jersey's like these cheap on a Chinese website, but I've heard stories about ordering a jersey and getting a box of crappy polo shirts. I would think eBay would be safer right? Couldn't they get into trouble for showing one thing and then when you buy it, send something that looks different?

I see a lot of people with these authentic jerseys walking around town, like Tyler Kennedy and Mike Rupp and I'm thinking to myself, "Did they seriously pay $160 for a Rupp jersey?" Then I saw these jerseys priced so low, so I figured, this has to be how they're getting them. If the letter font is a little off, I don't care. As long as the lettering isn't a disaster, I could live with it. It beats paying over $150.

Edited by xtrememachine1

I almost got suckered into buying jersey's like these cheap on a Chinese website, but I've heard stories about ordering a jersey and getting a box of crappy polo shirts. I would think eBay would be safer right? Couldn't they get into trouble for showing one thing and then when you buy it, send something that looks different?

I see a lot of people with these authentic jerseys walking around town, like Tyler Kennedy and Mike Rupp and I'm thinking to myself, "Did they seriously pay $160 for a Rupp jersey?" Then I saw these jerseys priced so low, so I figured, this has to be how they're getting them. If the letter font is a little off, I don't care. As long as the lettering isn't a disaster, I could live with it.

That's the right mentality to have. You'll likely be disappointed if you think you're getting the exact - to the tee - jersey that you see on your TV. Having said that, DHGate is a good site to check out. A number of people on this site have used it (myself included) and haven't had any issues to my knowledge. DHGate operates in a similar fashion to eBay in that there are a number of sellers, but it's not an auction site. DHGate acts as a 3rd party and holds the money until you receive your item and allow them to release it to the seller. If you aren't satisfied then it's much easier to fix the issue than if it were just between you and a seller. Given that they don't get their money until you get your product, the sellers are generally more eager to get the item to you, too.

Something to keep in mind about Ebay. If you read through Ebay's bi-law sections you are protected for fraudulant auctions of over $25 (i think). Meaning if the auction description claims the jerseys are real, you buy them, find out they are knock offs, you can file a claim and get at least most of your money back. Plus, what you can also do is if you pay with your credit card and it turns out to be a knock off is file a fraudulant claim with your CC and because they are insured out the ass you wont have to pay for it either.

Read the auction description carefully, print it, save it, keep copies. If or when it happens, do your research, don't rip tags etc and file your claims and you'll get yoru money back.

It happened to me with an item that I bought on ebay and it ended up not being as it was described so I filed a frauduant claim with my CC and their insurance covered. I ended up keeping the item and not paying a penny for it. Only problem is then you try and leave negative feedback for the ebay user so they'll give you negative feedback so there is no way to punish them but you can take it up dierectly with Ebay.

As I said, just do your research, keep files and be smart about it.

Something to keep in mind about Ebay. If you read through Ebay's bi-law sections you are protected for fraudulant auctions of over $25 (i think). Meaning if the auction description claims the jerseys are real, you buy them, find out they are knock offs, you can file a claim and get at least most of your money back. Plus, what you can also do is if you pay with your credit card and it turns out to be a knock off is file a fraudulant claim with your CC and because they are insured out the ass you wont have to pay for it either.

Read the auction description carefully, print it, save it, keep copies. If or when it happens, do your research, don't rip tags etc and file your claims and you'll get yoru money back.

It happened to me with an item that I bought on ebay and it ended up not being as it was described so I filed a frauduant claim with my CC and their insurance covered. I ended up keeping the item and not paying a penny for it. Only problem is then you try and leave negative feedback for the ebay user so they'll give you negative feedback so there is no way to punish them but you can take it up dierectly with Ebay.

As I said, just do your research, keep files and be smart about it.

Good points, only one thing, on Ebay now, only the BUYER can leave negative feedback. The SELLER can not. The seller can comment on the negative feedback left by a buyer, but nothing more.

Also, after looking at the jerseys mentioned, you can see the lettering on the Toews jersey is WAY off. But a lot of the other jerseys look pretty close. I can't tell a lot of difference. Shame, really.

Edited by AtomicPunk

I bought an authentic Winter Classic via eBay, but that's probably not what you're asking about (I spent roughly $300 on the jersey itself, as they're not made anymore).

Knockoffs are ridiculously obvious to me, but then again, I'm a detail-oriented person.

In terms of quality, there's a big difference even between the premier and the knockoffs, much less authentic and knockoff.

If you only want one jersey, get an authentic; you won't regret it. If you want a ton of jerseys that are cheap and may or may not look terrible, get knockoffs.

My brother got me a Zetterberg Winter Classic jersey for my birthday last year and he said he got it on eBay at a good price. The jersey must be a "knockoff" if its cheap, but I really like it and the lettering is probably the only difference between the authentic ones and the knockoffs. Really it comes down to personal preference I guess. To me, as long its not like orange lettering on a Wings jersey, its fine. I would have a hard time spending $160 for an authentic jersey when I could spend just $50 for a jersey with a slight difference on the lettering.

I just wanted to check with you guys that if I ordered off eBay, I would basically be protected from blowing $50 and getting crap (aka a cardboard box with old Chinese newspapers inside) in return. Although I'm hearing good things about DHGate too and their prices are even better. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I got mine on Ebay from China for $40... To me, its pretty nice and defiantly a passable jersey for the price you pay. It is wider, and the Red Wing logo is sort of shiny(but not that noticeable), but it is still a very nice jersey... If you want it 100% authentic then this is not for you... but if you want a pretty nice jersey for an affordable price, then I say go for it... GOOD LUCK!

My brother got me a Zetterberg Winter Classic jersey for my birthday last year and he said he got it on eBay at a good price. The jersey must be a "knockoff" if its cheap, but I really like it and the lettering is probably the only difference between the authentic ones and the knockoffs. Really it comes down to personal preference I guess. To me, as long its not like orange lettering on a Wings jersey, its fine. I would have a hard time spending $160 for an authentic jersey when I could spend just $50 for a jersey with a slight difference on the lettering.

I just wanted to check with you guys that if I ordered off eBay, I would basically be protected from blowing $50 and getting crap (aka a cardboard box with old Chinese newspapers inside) in return. Although I'm hearing good things about DHGate too and their prices are even better. Thanks for the feedback guys!

FYI, the lettering isn't the only difference between a knockoff and an authentic. There's a huge difference between the two.

You get what you pay for, basically, no matter what type of jersey you get. Anyone telling you that a knockoff is similar in quality to an authentic is kidding themselves.

Knockoffs may be similar to premier jerseys, but then again, their price is similar as well (though usually $30-50 cheaper), and again, you're not going to get official lettering or a jersey that looks official.

Maybe it is just me but I wouldn't buy a jersey (see the Toews jersey from an eBay seller whose auction said "IMPORTANT**** After purchasing this item, please include a note while paying threw PAYPAL stating what size you need"

:lol: Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in their quality control. :hehe:

This is a sports world wide problem with fake autographs on Ebay. I get mine in person or from a reputable dealer (Steinersports, Frozen Pond, Mrhockey.com, etc.). If I get it in person, I always get a photo of the player signing the item, usually with me in the pic. All I need is Slava Kozlov to sign a jersey and I have the complete set of Russian 5 autographed jerseys. Also, I have several Gordie signed items from in person meetings, but I ordered a pic and puck from his website and the guy is as classy through correspondence as he is in person. I ordered 2 items and received 5 in the mail, with thanks. By far the one of the most fan-loving guys out there. Also I ordered a pic from Tedlindsay.com. When I received it, it was rolled up and the Sharpie had transferred from the front to the back in spots. I wrote them and said that I still treasured the photo and would not return it for a replacement. I received in the mail a flat box with a new photo and an apology from Ted. Maybe it's just old school or hockey players in general. I like to think it's organizational, because I've always had great experience with the Wings. Even when they aren't Wings anymore. Fedorov was great to me and my son here in Columbus.

Maybe it is just me but I wouldn't buy a jersey (see the Toews jersey from an eBay seller whose auction said "IMPORTANT**** After purchasing this item, please include a note while paying threw PAYPAL stating what size you need"

:lol: Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in their quality control. :hehe:

I copied that sentence to paste it here. Bad grammar drives me nuts, but this is just ridiculous. You're trying to sell a fake product and can't even take the time to make sure your sentences are spelled right? C'mon people.

This is a sports world wide problem with fake autographs on Ebay. I get mine in person or from a reputable dealer (Steinersports, Frozen Pond, Mrhockey.com, etc.). If I get it in person, I always get a photo of the player signing the item, usually with me in the pic. All I need is Slava Kozlov to sign a jersey and I have the complete set of Russian 5 autographed jerseys. Also, I have several Gordie signed items from in person meetings, but I ordered a pic and puck from his website and the guy is as classy through correspondence as he is in person. I ordered 2 items and received 5 in the mail, with thanks. By far the one of the most fan-loving guys out there. Also I ordered a pic from Tedlindsay.com. When I received it, it was rolled up and the Sharpie had transferred from the front to the back in spots. I wrote them and said that I still treasured the photo and would not return it for a replacement. I received in the mail a flat box with a new photo and an apology from Ted. Maybe it's just old school or hockey players in general. I like to think it's organizational, because I've always had great experience with the Wings. Even when they aren't Wings anymore. Fedorov was great to me and my son here in Columbus.

Thanks for writing this review. I've never ordered autographed stuff directly from an athlete before but based on your glowing reviews I'm going to save up and buy something from Gordie's site as a treat for my birthday. If I wasn't a broke grad student I'd be able to afford something really nice. :lol:

Edit: And thanks for that link to Mr. Lindsay's website as well. I've just finished reading through it and enjoyed it. Now I just need to make enough money to afford some of those amazing prints!

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Thanks for writing this review. I've never ordered autographed stuff directly from an athlete before but based on your glowing reviews I'm going to save up and buy something from Gordie's site as a treat for my birthday. If I wasn't a broke grad student I'd be able to afford something really nice. :lol:

Edit: And thanks for that link to Mr. Lindsay's website as well. I've just finished reading through it and enjoyed it. Now I just need to make enough money to afford some of those amazing prints!

No problem. Just doing my civic duty.

jim_dangle.jpg

I copied that sentence to paste it here. Bad grammar drives me nuts, but this is just ridiculous. You're trying to sell a fake product and can't even take the time to make sure your sentences are spelled right? C'mon people.

I think that's the point he was making. It doesn't inspire confidence in their quality control of they tell you to make a payment "threw" paypal. I think that's why he bolded it and sized it up like that. The error was theirs. He was pointing it out.

I think that's the point he was making. It doesn't inspire confidence in their quality control of they tell you to make a payment "threw" paypal. I think that's why he bolded it and sized it up like that. The error was theirs. He was pointing it out.

And if you read my post, I was agreeing with him.