• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Re-alignment

Rate this topic

Fixed. Sort of; Dallas ends up in the East because they're a logical fit for the Southeast if you take Washington away.

You do realize that was a joke post, right, eva? :P The whole idea was to put Phoenix in a division with 4 huge O6 teams and see if they have problems with ratings then.

I would love to see the Conference system abandoned altogether. I find it disappointing that western teams can never compete directly for the Cup.

I've always liked the MLB/NFL method where it's not segregated between east and west.

You do realize that was a joke post, right, eva? :P The whole idea was to put Phoenix in a division with 4 huge O6 teams and see if they have problems with ratings then.

I figured you probably slotted them there intending for a Quebec move.

Going back to the four conference idea someone posted 2-3 pages back, but slightly edited. What do you guys think of a 7-8 team conference, with 4 teams from each making the post-season, and a final four to determine the Stanley Cup champions? Also, you can name the conferences by geographical direction or go a more creative approach [example: Rockies (w), Great Lakes (n), Sun Belt (s), Appalachians (e)].

P.S.: I can see to potential problems for the NHL (but positives for us Detroiters) that can come out of this:

1. Phoenix will lose Detroit support and moves to Quebec, the West moves down to 7 teams, and the East moves up to 8 teams.

2. Tampa will be almost guaranteed a final four spot each year with a pathetic South like that. Go Stevie Y!

post-20709-0-83215000-1307121949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Samm-E

Going back to the four conference idea someone posted 2-3 pages back, but slightly edited. What do you guys think of a 7-8 team conference, with 4 teams from each making the post-season, and a final four to determine the Stanley Cup champions? Also, you can name the conferences by geographical direction or go a more creative approach [example: Rockies (w), Great Lakes (n), Sun Belt (s), Appalachians (e)].

P.S.: I can see to potential problems for the NHL (but positives for us Detroiters) that can come out of this:

1. Phoenix will lose Detroit support and moves to Quebec, the West moves down to 7 teams, and the East moves up to 8 teams.

2. Tampa will be almost guaranteed a final four spot each year with a pathetic South like that. Go Stevie Y!

I like your setup quite a bit...only problem I can see is that Montreal is the only Canadian team in the East...won't they whine about that?

Also I'm not sure what you mean by a "Final Four" to determine the champions.

And to the other guy who made a "Bettman Conference".... :blink:

Regarding the final four, I meant to say instead of having two Conference champions compete for Lord Stanley, you'd have four Conference champions play one another, dwindling to a top two matchup for the championship.

Hypothetical:

After 82 regular season games, the top four teams from each conference make the playoffs and duel each other (1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3)

Sun Belt Conference

Tampa (106 points) 1 seed

Carolina (93) 2 seed

etc.

etc.

Appalachian Conference

Montreal (103 points) 1 seed

Boston (98) 2 seed

etc.

etc.

Great Lakes Conference

Chicago (105 points) 1 seed

Pittsburg (102) 2 seed

Buffalo (101) 3 seed

Detroit (100) 4 seed

Rockies Conference

San Jose (102 points) 1 seed

Vancouver (101) 2 seed

etc.

etc.

Tampa makes it out of the Sun Belt Conference

Boston makes it out of the Appalachian Conference

Detroit makes it out of the Great Lakes conference

Vancouver makes it out of the Rockies Conference

The final four would be:

Tampa (1 seed - based on most points in the regular season - 106) vs. Boston (4 seed - 98 points) (Home Court Tampa)

Vancouver (2 seed - 101 points) vs. Detroit (3 seed - 100 points) (Home Court Vancouver)

Seeding realigns based on points in the final four. Initially Detroit was a 4 seed in a stacked conference, but 3 seed in the final four. Same for Boston, who was a 2 seed in their conference playoffs, but a four seed in the final four.

Winner of Tampa vs. Boston will face off against the winner of Vancouver vs. Detroit (again, home court going to the better seed)

Edited by Samm-E

Regarding the final four, I meant to say instead of having two Conference champions compete for Lord Stanley, you'd have four Conference champions play one another, dwindling to a top two matchup for the championship.

Hypothetical:

After 82 regular season games, the top four teams from each conference make the playoffs and duel each other (1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3)

Rust Belt Conference

Tampa (106 points) 1 seed

Carolina (93) 2 seed

etc.

etc.

Appalachian Conference

Montreal (103 points) 1 seed

Boston (98) 2 seed

etc.

etc.

Great Lakes Conference

Chicago (105 points) 1 seed

Pittsburg (102) 2 seed

Buffalo (101) 3 seed

Detroit (100) 4 seed

Rockies Conference

San Jose (102 points) 1 seed

Vancouver (101) 2 seed

etc.

etc.

Tampa makes it out of the Rust Belt Conference

Boston makes it out of the Appalachian Conference

Detroit makes it out of the Great Lakes conference

Vancouver makes it out of the Rockies Conference

The final four would be:

Tampa (1 seed - based on most points in the regular season - 106) vs. Boston (4 seed - 98 points) (Home Court Tampa)

Vancouver (2 seed - 101 points) vs. Detroit (3 seed - 100 points) (Home Court Vancouver)

Seeding realigns based on points in the final four. Initially Detroit was a 4 seed in a stacked conference, but 3 seed in the final four. Same for Boston, who was a 2 seed in their conference playoffs, but a four seed in the final four.

Winner of Tampa vs. Boston will face off against the winner of Vancouver vs. Detroit (again, home court going to the better seed)

.... Where exactly do you think the 'Rust Belt' is?

Anyone else think the league is holding off on realignment until 2012 is because of possible expansion? I am not trying to spark a debate about the pros and cons of expansion, but it has been brought up in discussions at work and the theory that it is due to the schedule already being close to finalized is pretty weak IMO, they could hash out a new schedule in a week or two if it came down to that, I think there is something bigger in play.

Anyone else think the league is holding off on realignment until 2012 is because of possible expansion? I am not trying to spark a debate about the pros and cons of expansion, but it has been brought up in discussions at work and the theory that it is due to the schedule already being close to finalized is pretty weak IMO, they could hash out a new schedule in a week or two if it came down to that, I think there is something bigger in play.

Expansion? Not likely, though I guess I wouldn't be shocked.

One or more other teams relocating? Yes.

Expansion? Not likely, though I guess I wouldn't be shocked.

One or more other teams relocating? Yes.

That's a good point too, maybe the league is already aware of another struggling franchise that is unable to find a local buyer and are trying to do a better job of keeping it under wraps.

I see another relocation happening in 2012, but not expansion. They'd have to be pretty stupid to want to expand when so many teams are already struggling. Although, among the narrow minds in business, expansion is always good. If you're not expanding you're losing, right?

With the addition of Seattle and necessary re-alignment, what about this:

The Originals Division: Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York (Rangers), Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia (both honorary)
The Atlantic Division: Buffalo, Florida, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, New York (Islanders), Washington, New Jersey, Carolina
The Central Division: Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Arizona, Columbus
The Pacific Division: Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, Las Vegas

EDIT: Balanced Divisions

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The Originals Division: Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York (Rangers), Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia (both honorary)
The Atlantic Division: Buffalo, Florida, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, New York (Islanders), Washington, New Jersey, Columbus
The Central Division: Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Arizona
The Pacific Division: Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, Las Vegas

The Central is left with only 7 teams, Houston becomes their 8th team somewhere down the road

RIP Canes

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The Atlantic Division: Buffalo, Florida, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, New York (Islanders), Washington, New Jersey, Carolina
The Central Division: Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Arizona, Columbus

EDIT: Balanced Divisions

The Pacific Division: San Jose, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Arizona, Seattle, Colorado, San Diego

The Canada Division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa

The Jagr Division: Pittsburgh, Washington, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Dallas, Boston, New Jersey, Florida

The Central Division: Detroit, Chicago, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, New York Islanders, St Louis, Minnesota, Nashville

This would be better.  Some of the Canadian teams may complain about travel, but let them.  Carolina is gone and replaced with Quebec City.  I couldn't fit Calgary into the Jagr Division, since they already have one.  I replaced Columbus with San Diego, as the most beautiful city in the U.S. should have an NHL team (Panarin's girlfriend wouldn't mind it either).      

Canadian Conference West Division: VAN, EDM, CAL, WPG

Canadian Conference East Division: TML, MTL, OTT, QC

Western Conference Pacific Division: SEA, LAK, ANA, SJS

Western Conference Southwest Division: AZ, VGK, COL, DAL

Central Conference Midwest Division: StL, MIN, NAS, CHI

Central Conference Northeast Division: DET, CBJ, PIT, BUF

Eastern Conference Southeast Division: TBL, FLA, CAR, WDC

Eastern Conference Atlantic Division: PHI, NYI, NYR, BOS

72 game regular season.

Play each team in your division 8 times. 4 home and 4 away. 24 games.

Play each team in the opposite division of your conference 4 times. 2 home and 2 away. 16 games.

Play each team in the other conferences 2 times. 1 home and 1 away. 32 games.

4 best of 7 playoff rounds.

Top 2 finishers in each division play in divisional round.

2 division winners in each conference play each other in 2nd round.

4 conference winners are reseeded and play in SC semifinal.

2 semifinal winners play for Stanley Cup.

21 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Canadian Conference West Division: VAN, EDM, CAL, WPG

Canadian Conference East Division: TML, MTL, OTT, QC

Western Conference Pacific Division: SEA, LAK, ANA, SJS

Western Conference Southwest Division: AZ, VGK, COL, DAL

Central Conference Midwest Division: StL, MIN, NAS, CHI

Central Conference Northeast Division: DET, CBJ, PIT, BUF

Eastern Conference Southeast Division: TBL, FLA, CAR, WDC

Eastern Conference Atlantic Division: PHI, NYI, NYR, BOS

72 game regular season.

Play each team in your division 8 times. 4 home and 4 away. 24 games.

Play each team in the opposite division of your conference 4 times. 2 home and 2 away. 16 games.

Play each team in the other conferences 2 times. 1 home and 1 away. 32 games.

4 best of 7 playoff rounds.

Top 2 finishers in each division play in divisional round.

2 division winners in each conference play each other in 2nd round.

4 conference winners are reseeded and play in SC semifinal.

2 semifinal winners play for Stanley Cup.

Switch Buffalo and Philadelphia.

I don't like the idea of cutting the season down to 72 games. How about 80 games?...

80 game regular season.

Play each team in your division 8 times. 4 home and 4 away. 24 games.

Play each team in the opposite division of your conference 6 times. 3 home and 3 away. 24 games.

Play each team in the other conferences 2 times. 1 home and 1 away. 32 games.