• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

egroen

Unbelievable deflection by Holmstrom

Rate this topic

Holmstrom sometimes gets under-appreciated around here, but he is really having a great year - almost surprised to see him make plays away from the crease!

That tip tonight was just a thing of beauty, and a great example of why he is still the best man in the NHL in front of the net.

Here's to Holmstrom's 5th 20 goal season! :clap:

Edited by egroen

He did virtually the same thing against Calgary.

It's still a remarkable deflection though.

It's funny when you listen to the Wild announcers description of that play. They said, "That shot was going 3 feet wide." Pretty much every Wings fan knows that's a purposely set play with a camouflaged assist by Lidstrom that looks like a shot.

The reason I ask about a youtube clip is there is such a dearth of Holmstrom highlights, and I want to post a video in the future when I talk about Holmstrom and his value!

Edited by egroen

Just to get some conversation going - who's better in front of the net? Ciccarelli or Holmstrom?

Ciccarelli scored a heck of a lot more goals, and he was certainly better than Holmstrom at getting to loose pucks in front of the net, but I'll argue Holmstrom is a better net-front-presence.

The reason being I don't think there has ever been a better screener. His positioning is better than half the goaltenders in the league, and if you watch over-head replays of goals, his anticipation is actually often quicker than the goalie when the play shifts.

How many "assists" has Holmstrom missed out on, simply by making what would be a routine save an impossible one, due to his derrier plastered in front of the goalie? So often, there has been no better "assist" on those goals.

Ciccarelli can, and did, score in many other ways, he simply was a much better hockey players, but I think Holmstrom is better in front of the net.

Just to get some conversation going - who's better in front of the net? Ciccarelli or Holmstrom?

Ciccarelli scored a heck of a lot more goals, and he was certainly better than Holmstrom at getting to loose pucks in front of the net, but I'll argue Holmstrom is a better net-front-presence.

The reason being I don't think there has ever been a better screener. His positioning is better than half the goaltenders in the league, and if you watch over-head replays of goals, his anticipation is actually often quicker than the goalie when the play shifts.

How many "assists" has Holmstrom missed out on, simply by making what would be a routine save an impossible one, due to his derrier plastered in front of the goalie? So often, there has been no better "assist" on those goals.

Ciccarelli can, and did, score in many other ways, he simply was a much better hockey players, but I think Holmstrom is better in front of the net.

Great question, and one I've actually been waiting for on these boards for some time.

Dino was, as you stated, a far better hockey player. He was a more aggressive agitator, he skated better, he was far more agile, his shot (from more than five feet out) was better, he was a better passer...

Where Homer shines is twofold. I think his hockey IQ tops anything Dino (or most players for that matter) could ever hope for, at least when it comes to where shots are going to come from.

I'd also give a large edge to Homer in terms of hand eye coordination. He has never shown me that he has "hands" that can handle the puck as well as a 4th liner, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen someone who can anticipate a shot and get the blade of his stick in front of it better than he does. It's absolutely amazing. Couple that with the positioning you already called out, and you have the best one trick pony of all time.

Dino was the better player, but if I played GM I'd pass by him and pick up Homer several rounds later in a heartbeat. Similar bang for the buck, but at a far lesser cost.

EDIT: Typos

Edited by Uncle Danny

Great question, and one I've actually been waiting for on these boards for some time.

Dino was, as you stated, a far better hockey player. He was a more aggressive agitator, he skated better, he was far more agile, his shot (from more than five feet out) was better, he was a better passer...

Where Homer shines is twofold. I think his hockey IQ tops anything Dino (or most players for that matter) could ever hope for, at least when it comes to where shots are going to come from.

I'd also give a large edge to Homer in terms of hand eye coordination. He has never shown me that he has "hands" that can handle the puck as well as a 4th liner, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen someone who can anticipate a shot and get the blade of his stick in front of it better than he does. It's absolutely amazing. Couple that with the positioning you already called out, and you have the best one trick pony of all time.

Dino was the better player, but if I played GM I'd pass by him and pick up Homer several rounds later in a heartbeat. Similar bang for the buck, but at a far lesser cost.

EDIT: Typos

I'm not sure Holmstrom would even have a job in the AHL, if not for this one particular talent.

I don't exactly remember why they traded Dino away. His defensive game?

EDIT: Oh, and I already posted this in the Franzen thread but I might as well post it here too:

hanzfranz.jpg

Edited by titanium2

I'm not sure why he was traded away - wasn't there friction between him and Bowman? I also think that the Wings wanted some old faces out and new in. Bummer he couldn't have been there for the Cup wins (same goes for Bob).

EDIT: Oh, and I already posted this in the Franzen thread but I might as well post it here too:

hanzfranz.jpg

The official talk was that they didn't like all the times he would take a penalty and take no one else with him. Bowman was always on Holmstrom, too. He would tell him to get his feet out of the crease or he wouldn't last much longer.

That, my friends, last night was classic Lids/Homer goals. I'm going to miss that when both retire :(.

Yeah, our power play will look ordinary.

The official talk was that they didn't like all the times he would take a penalty and take no one else with him. Bowman was always on Holmstrom, too. He would tell him to get his feet out of the crease or he wouldn't last much longer.

Holmström was number 15 when he first got to Detroit, but wanted 96 for the year he got to the NHL - Bowman's suggestion was that he take 97, for the year he would leave the NHL.

Holmström was number 15 when he first got to Detroit, but wanted 96 for the year he got to the NHL - Bowman's suggestion was that he take 97, for the year he would leave the NHL.

is that true?

i'm a pretty new hockey fan, so i never watched cicarelli play, so i can't really contribute to that discussion. i will say that while homer can't skate, can't pass, can't take faceoffs, can't kill penalties, can't deke very well (a few exceptions aside), and doesn't have much of a slapper, not only does he have great tipping ability/hand eye coordination, but -- and i've always thought this was his greatest asset, he pays the ******* price in front of the net, every shift, every game. if "crosschecks taken" was a stat they kept track of, homer would win it by a mile every season.

while i, as a long-time filppula supporter, have *loved* seeing him thrive of late, i ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO EAT CROW when it comes to homer. i guess he was more injured than i realized last year, when he did not seem like himself. i honestly believed that he had not only lost a step, but could no longer compete in the NHL. i argued that our team would be better without him.

:rotflmao:

i couldn't have been more wrong, and i am SO happy about that. LONG LIVE THE DEMOLITION MAN!!!

Just thought I'd throw this in there ;)

a beauty, for sure, but he probably wouldn't do that again in ten more shootout attempts.

Edited by stormboy

Just thought I'd throw this in there ;)

THANK YOU! That was exactly what I was thinking of when I saw that "sickest move I've ever saw" SO goal by ..... the other night- that's not all that impressive when Homer could darn-near do the same dang thing.

I don't think that was an unbelievable deflection by Homer last night tho, if it was ANYONE but him yeah but that guy is the hands-down best at it and really he doesn't surprise me in front of the net anymore. He's damn good in front of the crease and I know it.

is that true?

i'm a pretty new hockey fan, so i never watched cicarelli play, so i can't really contribute to that discussion. i will say that while homer can't skate, can't pass, can't take faceoffs, can't kill penalties, can't deke very well (a few exceptions aside), and doesn't have much of a slapper, not only does he have great tipping ability/hand eye coordination, but -- and i've always thought this was his greatest asset, he pays the ******* price in front of the net, every shift, every game. if "crosschecks taken" was a stat they kept track of, homer would win it by a mile every season.

while i, as a long-time filppula supporter, have *loved* seeing him thrive of late, i ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO EAT CROW when it comes to homer. i guess he was more injured than i realized last year, when he did not seem like himself. i honestly believed that he had not only lost a step, but could no longer compete in the NHL. i argued that our team would be better without him.

:rofl:

i couldn't have been more wrong, and i am SO happy about that. LONG LIVE THE DEMOLITION MAN!!!

a beauty, for sure, but he probably wouldn't do that again in ten more shootout attempts.

Can't pass? The guy makes great passes every single game, just watch in tonight's game; he just makes it look easy... Also, his hockey smartness is one of the best on the team. He is top three in breakout passing on the team IMO, which is one of the most important skills you can have as a winger.

hanzfranz.jpg

Im pretty sure it was conflict with Bowman. Same goes for Paul Coffey. (also, we wanted to get tougher so we traded him for Shanny.)

Im pretty sure it was conflict with Bowman. Same goes for Paul Coffey. (also, we wanted to get tougher so we traded him for Shanny.)

Right. Plus after the playoff failures in 93, 94, 95, and 96 it was time to change the core around Yzerman and Fedorov. Add to that, McCarty and Lapointe were ready to take a bigger role on the team, Ciccarelli was in the way.

Yes, that quote is true. It's been cited many times.

I think it might even be in that "Blood Feud" book, but I'm not sure.

gotcha. like i said, relatively new to the game. wasn't watching in the late ninety's (i was ten, and i didn't grow up in a hockey family). i'm not sure if you said "it's been cited many times" to be ******-y or just to give the quote credibility. i'll assume the latter. :)

Can't pass? The guy makes great passes every single game, just watch in tonight's game; he just makes it look easy... Also, his hockey smartness is one of the best on the team. He is top three in breakout passing on the team IMO, which is one of the most important skills you can have as a winger.

i guess the point i was making was that he's not known for any other skills, including passing. on the team, i'd think that dats, z, flip, mule, lids, raffi, kronner, helm, and maybe even willy will be better at, from time to time, threading the needle and making a great pass, or dishing behind the back fora great set-up, or something like that. homer obviously knows the ice really well -- like someone else mentioned, it seems like he reacts to the play vis-a-vis positioning even better than the goalie most of the time. i just don't think he has the stick skills or agility to make that slick pass when needed.

obviously, slick passing doesn't win championships: griding it out does. and that's homer. i wasn't trying to dig him. i'm just saying, you don't see homer making sweet passes the way that you see dats and z and our best d-men do it -- but, like i said, that's not the most important thing, and that's not his role on the team!