• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings4Life19

this is gonna be fun

Rate this topic

Over the past decade at this point in the season the wings would have the division locked up and just fighting for one of the 3 top seeds in the west.

As fans we would be looking at the standings and wondering who the wings would match up best against, who you wouldn't want the wings to play in the first round and so on. But this year its different, they are going to be somewhere between seeds 5-8 and wont have home ice in a series for the first time in a long time. In years past they would be resting guys and getting ready for a long playoff haul, while the lower seeds would be just fighting to make the playoffs.

Detroit had to worry if the team they would face in the first round would be much more prepared for the playoffs because they had been in playoff mode for about a month, while the wings hadn't played a meaningful game in that span. And a couple of times they couldn't match the oppositions energy(2003 VS ANA, 2006 VS EDM)

As Red Wing fans how could you not be excited about the playoffs this year. In 3 weeks when the second season starts the wings "should" be playoff ready, and the teams they will most likely face will have the same if not more challenges than the Wings have had. And for the Wings being a lower seed they wont have the expectations they have had in previous years.

Chicago: Most of their big name players(Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook) haven't had the pressure of being the team to beat. If Chi and Det meet in the first round it will be interesting to see if Chicago worries more about beating their big brother or about winning a cup. MY prediction: Det in 7

San Jose: This team has more expectations that anyone in the west. If SJ meets Det in the first round and the wings win you better expect the sharks to clean house over the summer. This is a match-up where the pressure is all on the sharks and Detroit can just play their game and hope the sharks crack under the pressure. My prediction: Det in 6

Vancouver: Of all the teams Detroit could play in the first round I feel Van will be the most interesting. They don't have the offence that Chi or SJ has, but they do have an advantage in goal, and for some reason canadian teams give the wings fits. My prediction: Van in 6

Phoenix: The desert dogs have goaltending and no pressure to win. But what they don't have is playoff experience. Detroit has a history of running into a hot goalie and getting eliminated, Ilya Bryzgalov fits the mold perfectly of being another one of those goalies. And after not winning a playoff series for 2 decades they have nothing to lose. But other than goaltending the wings out match them in everything else. MY prediction: Det in 5

i generally agree with your analysis and predictions, and though you can't get any closer than a wings in seven series against chicago (so i'm not disagreeing with you) that series could go either way so easily. i honestly wouldn't be too surprised if either team won the series 4-1 or 4-2.

i don't get to watch many wings games because of my work schedule much less any out of town games (i think i've watched two all season), so i don't have as good of a read on our opposition. (when i watch chicago play, it's always against the wings, so if we loose, i see what we did wrong not what they did right, and visa versa if we win.)

mainly, though, like you said, i am really looking forward to gearing up for a playoff from the other side of the fence (again, assuming we make it, which is *looks* like we will now, unlike a couple of weeks ago). it's going to be weird being the "underdog" that nobody wants to meet in the first round. it should be fun -- even more fun if we win!

i think that any of the matchups will be fun -- phoenix the least, just because we have little rivalry with them and, personally, i have basically no feelings towards them. vancouver -- of course there's the sammy dynamic, wings always seem to make good goalies look great and great goalies look like jesus, and the sedin twins are creepy. chicago -- goes without saying: we knocked them out last year, we're divisional rivals, the hossa dynamic will be great. san jose -- every year it's all ZOMG THERE TWO BIG TO FAST AND TOO YUNG OMGWTFBBQ and yet, somehow, we send them packing. wouldn't mind putting a little more icing on the cake this year, though i'm sure they'll be motivated either way, and especially against us. i know everyone says "everyone says 'this is the year' every year, and it's never the year," but i still sort of feel like *one* of these years they have to go all the way, and every year i'm afraid it will be this one. i have those same fears this year: maybe this WILL be the season they actually realize their playoff potential.

either way...really looking forward to it! it's been more dramatic this year fighting for a playoff spot rather than worrying about the prez trophy, that's for sure!

IF the Sharks lose in the playoffs in round 1 or round 2. We are going to clean house. Say Good bye to Thornton, Nabokov, maybe vlasic, maybe heatley.

The only star is staying on our team is Boyle.

Can we have Clowe?

Hey maybe we can pick up marleau too.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Vancouver: Of all the teams Detroit could play in the first round I feel Van will be the most interesting. They don't have the offence that Chi or SJ has, but they do have an advantage in goal, and for some reason canadian teams give the wings fits. My prediction: Van in 6

I think we have a real good chance with Vancouver. Luongo is shaky, their D is pretty crappy, and we won the regular season matchup 3 games to 1. They have a lot more pressure to advance, maybe they will crumble under pressure as well. I think we have a real good chance of winning this too.

Over the past decade at this point in the season the wings would have the division locked up and just fighting for one of the 3 top seeds in the west.

As fans we would be looking at the standings and wondering who the wings would match up best against, who you wouldn't want the wings to play in the first round and so on. But this year its different, they are going to be somewhere between seeds 5-8 and wont have home ice in a series for the first time in a long time. In years past they would be resting guys and getting ready for a long playoff haul, while the lower seeds would be just fighting to make the playoffs.

Detroit had to worry if the team they would face in the first round would be much more prepared for the playoffs because they had been in playoff mode for about a month, while the wings hadn't played a meaningful game in that span. And a couple of times they couldn't match the oppositions energy(2003 VS ANA, 2006 VS EDM)

As Red Wing fans how could you not be excited about the playoffs this year. In 3 weeks when the second season starts the wings "should" be playoff ready, and the teams they will most likely face will have the same if not more challenges than the Wings have had. And for the Wings being a lower seed they wont have the expectations they have had in previous years.

Chicago: Most of their big name players(Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook) haven't had the pressure of being the team to beat. If Chi and Det meet in the first round it will be interesting to see if Chicago worries more about beating their big brother or about winning a cup. MY prediction: Det in 7

San Jose: This team has more expectations that anyone in the west. If SJ meets Det in the first round and the wings win you better expect the sharks to clean house over the summer. This is a match-up where the pressure is all on the sharks and Detroit can just play their game and hope the sharks crack under the pressure. My prediction: Det in 6

Phoenix: The desert dogs have goaltending and no pressure to win. But what they don't have is playoff experience. Detroit has a history of running into a hot goalie and getting eliminated, Ilya Bryzgalov fits the mold perfectly of being another one of those goalies. And after not winning a playoff series for 2 decades they have nothing to lose. But other than goaltending the wings out match them in everything else. MY prediction: Det in 5

Vancouver ranks 2nd in the league for goals per game, ahead of San Jose and Chicago. They also have six players with 20+ goals. Only Washington has as many.

I think Wings vs Hawks would be a great match up in terms of entertainment. Wings should easily be able to handle the Sharks, they don't impress me in the least.

Phoenix is young and are similar to the Canucks of 06-07. Strong goaltending with a pretty weak offense. They've also had a ton of success in the shootout, something they won't get in the playoffs.

Edited by Death Warrant

IF the Sharks lose in the playoffs in round 1 or round 2. We are going to clean house. Say Good bye to Thornton, Nabokov, maybe vlasic, maybe heatley.

The only star is staying on our team is Boyle.

i really want to hijack this topic and pick your brain on this s***...but i disagree regarding boyle...i see bleed marks all over these sharks..STARTING with boyles $6.7 million contract. sharks shot themselves in the ******* face with that one! LOOK what they had to lose for that dude...erhoff to vancouver for nothing..sharks also lost a young and good d-man in matt carle to philly. doug wilson f***ed this shark team...i don't want to count them out the playoffs just yet (because i root for the sharks every game unless they play the wings) but the problems are bloated contracts and f***ed up bulls*** easy california softness atmosphere..and i know all about being a softie..living in california..burning bomb dank..in the sun...and its pretty chill. that is why bay area teams choke.

Death Warrant's comments about the Phoenix Coyotes NOT having a strong offense seem a little inaccurate. Look at what they've been doing the last couple of weeks and look at their (relatively) new additions Stempniak and Wolski. Stempniak has been one of the hottest scorers in the league over the last few weeks.