• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

3/27 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Predators 0 (SO)

Rate this topic

That little chatroom status box is cracking me up. It say's "There are 1 people in the chat". Just thought it was funny, anyway I am still so stoked after last night. We have to build on it, let's see if we can get 3 lines rolling on the scoreboard now. I know I'm pushing it a little. I went to a Preds forum (not really trolling, didn't participate just checking it out) and found an interesting article about Raffi not being too crazy about playing in Tenessee. Turns out you have pay to play there and the lesser paid players barely make any money at all for this game.

My link

Go Wings, make it 5 in a row!

Edited by Marty Barry

That little chatroom status box is cracking me up. It say's "There are 1 people in the chat". Just thought it was funny, anyway I am still so stoked after last night. We have to build on it, let's see if we can get 3 lines rolling on the scoreboard now. I know I'm pushing it a little. I went to a Preds forum (not really trolling, didn't participate just checking it out) and found an interesting article about Raffi not being too crazy about playing in Tenessee. Turns out you have pay to play there and the lesser paid players barely make any money at all for this game.

My link

That was crazy, I cant understand hw they get away with it! Go wings!~

My link

Wow. I had no idea. Far be it from me to complain about professional athletes having to cough over a little salary, but does this not seem ridiculous to anyone else? Putting aside the issue that they charge a flat rate rather than a graduated scale based on salary (which is ridiculous), the fact that individual states are able to impose extra taxes on visiting sports teams (except, of course, for football) seems pretty fishy to me.

Hopefully this doesn't set a dangerous precedent among other US (or Canadian) states going forward, as I would hate to see what would happen to the league minimum salary if other states and provinces started to adapt this "privelege tax". After all, having to wave goodbye to approximately $7500 (for division rivals) annually is one thing, but that number could conceivably grow til it becomes a serious issue. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Anyways, good on Raffi - resident accountant - for crunching the numbers. I'm sure Miller, Eaves, Jimmy, and co. will be getting a free meal or two out of the deal.

My link

What a bunch of crap! I know it seems bad for players to complain about their paychecks but if the MOney was going to the league that's fine. Tennesse has just recently become a "sports town" ( as far as most go) Do they charge George Strait to play at the Grand Ol Opry? What a pile of crap... no wonder we try and take them out and run the table... If a guy has to pay to play he better get his money worth.. GO WINGS!

I didn't see it in the article, and I was wondering how this tax is enforced. Is it in the form of cash/check from each player prior to the game? Kind of like "legal" extortion? If you don't pay it, you can't play? What, the state will come in and arrest you? This is a load of crap! So, not only do the players have to pay, but isn't Nashville one of the teams that gets revenue sharing from the rest of the league, which would include me, because I'm a season ticket holder for the Wings? I say that because I'm sure part of my ticket money, especially pre-season ticket money is used to pay off these teams. What a joke!!

WOW - that is one of the craziest things I have read in a long time! I am surprised Bettman didn't come up with this in Phoenix... maybe they are next!

GO WINGS!!!!!!

You're confusing two issues.

Yes, Nashville gets revenue sharing money to pay their players.

The "privilege tax" goes to the State of TN, not to the Preds themselves.

So, your ticket money has nothing to do with the privilege tax.

So, not only do the players have to pay, but isn't Nashville one of the teams that gets revenue sharing from the rest of the league, which would include me, because I'm a season ticket holder for the Wings? I say that because I'm sure part of my ticket money, especially pre-season ticket money is used to pay off these teams. What a joke!!

Current Streaks

Regular Season Streaks

Overall: 4-game winning streak (1 overtime)

Road: 1-game winning streak (overtime)

Historical Regular Season Streaks vs. Nashville

Overall: 3-game winning streak (1 overtime)

Road: 1-game winning streak (overtime).

Last Ten Games

Last Ten Games – Regular Season

Overall: 8W-1L-0OTL-1SOL

Road: 5W-2L-0OTL-3SOL.

Last Ten Games - Historical Regular Season vs. Nashville

Overall: 5W-4L-0OTL-1SOL

Road: 5W-5L.

Record on this Date

March 27.

This is the 25th game played on this date. The Club's record in the previous 24 games:

12W-11L-1T.

LGW.

GO wings!

On another note, I am pretty soured that politics has made its way into the league and is screwing these guys. I don't care if they are making a lot of money compared to other people. They wouldnt be making it if we didnt pay for it. The fact remains that this is unconstitutional, BIG TIME. Drew Miller is just one person who will be in the hole after leaving the game tomorrow. How many others are in the same boat? The Blue Jackets, the Blues, the Blackhawks. They are wings rivals, but they are people like you and me, plain and simple. They are just going out there to make their living like I will be on Monday. I would be furious if I had to go to another town to work for my company and had to pay out of pocket to do so. I have researched this revenue generating law for the state of Tennessee and have found that Reagan Farr is the commissioner of revenue for Tennessee. His number is 6`5-741-2461. I know I will be calling him to inquire to the legality of this, and how the NFL would have power over a state of the union to be exempt from a law that should clearly apply to them as well.

Revenue Administration

Commissioner Reagan Farr: (615) 741-2461

Deputy Commissioner (Operations and Support Services) Sam Chessor:

(615) 741-2461

Deputy Commissioner (Tax Administration) Glen Page: (615) 741-2461

Chief Financial Officer: Ed Eldridge (615) 741-5884

Communications: Sara Jo Houghland (615) 741-2461

E-mail: sara.houghland@tn.gov

http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/contactus.htm

If they can tax people from out of state, then they can take complaints from people out of state.

I think in that article the example was drew miller who makes 525,000 per year. The maximum $7,500 is only 1.4% of that.

I'm not defending it and I think it's a horrible tax, but the word "unconstitutional" gets thrown around way too much. Like the fools who think the new health care bill is unconstitutional. It just bugs me.

Edited by Z and D for the C

I think in that article the example was drew miller who makes 525,000 per year. The maximum $7,500 is only 1.4% of that.

I'm not defending it and I think it's a horrible tax, but the word "unconstitutional" gets thrown around way too much. Like the fools who think the new health care bill is unconstitutional. It just bugs me.

yeah that is 1.4% of his total salary, but the $2,500 he has to pay today is coming out of his check for that game. How would you like it if you had a percentage like that coming out of one of your paychecks?

And like someone already stated, how is that not against the Privileges and Immunities clause in the fourteenth amendment? And dont get me started on health care. How do they plan on getting the revenue for the proposals in that bill? Oh yeah, by taxing the s*** out of paychecks and everything else. And they still wont have the money.

Which brings all this to a head. We now have the athletes hit by this giant mess that the corrupt government has gotten everyone in. This should be a huge sign for people to really start paying attention to who they are voting for.

yeah that is 1.4% of his total salary, but the $2,500 he has to pay today is coming out of his check for that game. How would you like it if you had a percentage like that coming out of one of your paychecks?

And like someone already stated, how is that not against the Privileges and Immunities clause in the fourteenth amendment? And dont get me started on health care. How do they plan on getting the revenue for the proposals in that bill? Oh yeah, by taxing the s*** out of paychecks and everything else. And they still wont have the money.

Which brings all this to a head. We now have the athletes hit by this giant mess that the corrupt government has gotten everyone in. This should be a huge sign for people to really start paying attention to who they are voting for.

Not very much, but then again I don't make $500k a year.

How IS it against the 14th amendment? The 14th amendment protects the equality of all Americans, it has nothing to do with taxes. Just because they call it a "privilege tax" doesn't mean it goes against the 14th amendment.

And only the rich are going to have higher paycheck taxes: http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2009/11/19/listing-the-new-taxes-in-the-senate-health-care-bill/tab/article/

Guest Lidstromboli

might not get to watch this game tonight

wings always seem to play the predators at the wrong time for me :angry:

My link

I generally don't take the side of over paid and over privileged athletes, but that tax is pretty ridiculous.

Guest Lidstromboli

can someone explain to me why some predators fans are so obsessed with chelios? i don't get it

I suppose you could try to make a constitutional case out of the 14th amendment, but you wouldn't get very far.

Personally, I don't really think that having to pay up to $7,500 a year is too ridiculous when you're making 6+ million a year, but for the players that have to start paying money out of pocket just to play in Nashville, that's a little extreme.

can someone explain to me why some predators fans are so obsessed with chelios? i don't get it

Hahahahahaha