24 replies to this topic

#21 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

I doubt it will ever happen.

Anyone remember when Joe Kocur was an assistant coach and threw a chair on the ice in a game against St. Louis??? That was hilarious.

I was at that game, it was funny

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

From Toronto Star :

Jim Playfair says emotion is part of hockey and isn't going to apologize for a behind-the-bench outburst that turned him into an Internet sensation.

The Abbotsford Heat head coach became enraged over the weekend following a call by referee Jamie Koharski during a game against the Hamilton Bulldogs. Video on the Internet shows him breaking two sticks and ripping off his jacket in protest. The incident had more than 500,000 views on YouTube as of Monday afternoon.

An AHL spokesperson said Playfair has been fined an undisclosed amount for the incident. Asked the amount of the fine, Playfair smiled.

"Ask my wife," he said.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

I doubt it will ever happen.

Anyone remember when Joe Kocur was an assistant coach and threw a chair on the ice in a game against St. Louis??? That was hilarious.

That *was* hilarious. Was that the game where Holmstrom was getting crosschecked in the back in an unfriendly way, refused to face his attacker and Luc F'n Robitaille of all people had to come in to stop the madness? That momment was the start of my hate for that coward Homer. If you're a 4th line hack, don't make a much smaller superstar (who also played some 4th line time - but still, he was Luc Robitaille!) come in and save your bacon, triggering a brawl that could well have injured your other teamates who were clearly outmuscled by the opponents on the ice at the time. Nothing bad came of it, thankfully, but if anything had I hope Homer would have been benched. when you're the biggest and the s***tiest player on the ice, sometimes you gotta get dirty.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#24 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

Here's a clip that cuts right to the actual incident and its also a little higher res. Enjoy!

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#25 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

Was that the game where Holmstrom was getting crosschecked in the back in an unfriendly way, refused to face his attacker and Luc F'n Robitaille of all people had to come in to stop the madness?

Yes, it was that game and while I agree with you, I wish Homer had fought, I believe that he had been told not to fight and he was just obeying orders.

Either way I don't blame Kocur for throwing the chair.
"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey