66 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

I think this is as good as [we've been in net] since I've been here

I mean, I know Jimmy's been good and all that, but really? Better than Osgood/Hasek in 2008 when they won the Jennings and Osgood was the starter at the All-Star game, 1st in GAA and went 27-9-4? Now I know we had a much better team then, but still. Does he really mean this, or is he having another jibe at Ozzie (who would now offically be Hudlers replacement as Mike Babcock's go-to scapegoat).

http://sports.espn.g...cott&id=5034714

Edited by Nev, 28 March 2010 - 05:56 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#2 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

He has played himself into consideration for the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goaltender. And while we're at it, if we're going to discuss Buffalo's Ryan Miller as a potential Hart Trophy nominee, then you have to throw Howard in the mix, as well.

I don't about all of that. Those are some strong words. But Babs may be right. If Howard hadn't stepped in like he did, we may not be in playoff contention right now. I don't think any of the goalies of the recent past have made as strong of a contribution and carried us through such adversity (injuries, etc).

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#3 therock48880

therock48880

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:36 AM

I mean, I know Jimmy's been good and all that, but really? Better than Osgood/Hasek in 2008 when they won the Jennings and Osgood was the starter at the All-Star game, 1st in GAA and went 27-9-4? Now I know we had a much better team then, but still. Does he really mean this, or is he having another jibe at Ozzie (who would now offically be Hudlers replacement as Mike Babcock's go-to scapegoat).

http://sports.espn.g...cott&id=5034714

After living through the Hasek/Cujo, Hasek/Osgood debates, I certainly hope this doesn't evolve into a goalie flame war. Having said that, I think I agree with Babcock. In 08, Hasek and Osgood were awesome, no doubt, but what Howard has done this year is amazing. I've always thought that a goalie's save percentage was the most telling stat of how good they are. Howard's save percentage is incredible and most of the year he played with a team that was severely depleted by injuries.

Plus, I wonder if Babcock isn't doing some psycological work to try to make Howard feel even more confident before the playoffs start.
Hasek is becoming iconic in my mind

#4 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

After living through the Hasek/Cujo, Hasek/Osgood debates, I certainly hope this doesn't evolve into a goalie flame war.

They (the flame wars) were such a joke in 07/08 though. Both were playing terrifically. In fact IIRC they ended up with identical numbers that year.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#5 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

Babs has to say those things. What is he going to say? "Well, we are usually 1st in the division and 1st or 2nd overall right now, so goaltending has been less than spectacular." No. He wants Jimmy to get press and possible trophies at the end of the year and to piss off Ozzie at the same time.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#6 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:21 AM

Well we won the cup in 08' so to say that it's better than that.....Only if we win the cup.... and maybe he was talking about down this stretch? I can't agree with him on this. I can say I was a Howard skeptic at the beginning of the season, I'm impressed with him and how Howard and the rest of the guys have learned to play together. But BEST since he's been here.....Insane. Id think he's taking a shot at Osgood in some small way.

#7 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

Why does he have to make a comment like this? Honestly. It is unnecessary. Howard does not need a confidence boost from Babs after the way he has played down the stretch and Ozzie does not deserve to have stupid shots (such as these) taken at him.

#8 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

I think it was based on the fact that the wings were so banged up, yet Howard kept a low 2GAA average. In the past, we had a stunning offense all season and never had trouble making it to the playoffs. This year was totally different and we had to rely on the goalie a ton. I would guess that's why he said it. As far as regular season goes, anyway....

If you're talking PLayoffs, you cannot take away what Osgood has done the last 2 years.

What do you guys think will happen come playoff time now? If you would have asked me a month or two ago, I would have said Babs would go to Osgood to start the playoffs. Now I have no doubt Howard will start the playoffs, and as long as he doesn't waiver, will stay in net. I do think Babs will switch to Osgood though at the first sight of big trouble.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#9 CupCrazy22

CupCrazy22

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

After living through the Hasek/Cujo, Hasek/Osgood debates, I certainly hope this doesn't evolve into a goalie flame war. Having said that, I think I agree with Babcock. In 08, Hasek and Osgood were awesome, no doubt, but what Howard has done this year is amazing. I've always thought that a goalie's save percentage was the most telling stat of how good they are. Howard's save percentage is incredible and most of the year he played with a team that was severely depleted by injuries.

Plus, I wonder if Babcock isn't doing some psycological work to try to make Howard feel even more confident before the playoffs start.

In my opinion this is exactly what Babcock is doing and it makes complete sense.

#10 Real1

Real1

I Could Have Never Happened

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

"Now I have no doubt Howard will start the playoffs, and as long as he doesn't waiver, will stay in net. I do think Babs will switch to Osgood though at the first sight of big trouble."

This. +1 to you my friend.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think Ozzie will play in the playoffs, the sole reason being that he has only played 15 games this year. I know he has done wonders for us the last two years in the playoffs, but I don't think it is possible to have played that few games in the regular season, and just jump in as a starter in the playoffs.

Edited by Real1, 28 March 2010 - 08:57 AM.

"the more you dream, the farther you get"

Like random things? Follow me on Twitter.

#11 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

I'm not sure if the goaltending right now is better than Osgood's 2008 playoff run. Pretty close, though.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#12 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

I'm not sure if the goaltending right now is better than Osgood's 2008 playoff run. Pretty close, though.

My guess is that he was not necessarily talking about the playoffs. Without a doubt Jimmeh has been hung out to dry more than any goalie in recent Red Wing history and that has a lot to do with it.

works every time

#13 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

Jimmy is playing awesome, and if you take his current status, theres plenty-o-upside that may tip the scales into a slight bias opinion...that said Babs is more then likely just saying the right things to keep this kid going!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#14 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

Why does he have to make a comment like this? Honestly. It is unnecessary. Howard does not need a confidence boost from Babs after the way he has played down the stretch and Ozzie does not deserve to have stupid shots (such as these) taken at him.

I don't think this is a shot at Ozzie at all. I have to agree with Babs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet shots against are up this season, our goals for are down (maybe not so much as of late), and we've had a ton of injuries. Yet this team could still finish with 100 points and as high as the 5 slot. As far as regular season goaltending goes, this has been the best in a while. We'll see how he does come playoff time.

#15 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

With all the challenges this year we've had to rely more on the goalie more than before. I understand and agree with how Babcock is handling this, I don't think he purposely trying to bash Osgood with nitpick quotes in the press more than he is trying to keep Jimmy consistently playing at the level he has.

If anyone really has a problem with this quote they need to reevaluate their player before team mindset. I don't see how anyone could take this goaltending situation negatively when Howard has been such a surprise and so successful in such a difficult situation.

Edited by Carman, 28 March 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#16 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

I have to agree with Babcock...

Howard is most consistent goalie in Detroit (since 2002).
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#17 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

I posted this in the JH Watch Thread, might as well post it here in regards to the Burnside article...

I was thinking he was going a little overboard with the Vezina talk, but if you really look at the numbers, and he keeps it up the last few games, he has a case for at least being nominated.

If you take out the goalies that haven't started at least 41 games (half the season), this is where Howard ranks...

Wins
5. Ryan Miller 37 Wins (65 starts)
9. Jimmy Howard 32 Wins (55 starts)

GAA
1. Ryan Miller 2.21
2. Jimmy Howard 2.24

S%
1. Ryan Miller .929
2. Thomas Vokoun .927 (23 Wins, 2.45 GAA)
3. Jimmy Howard .926

That's just crazy to look at.

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#18 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Babcock said it's been the most consistent goaltending since HE has been here... which is since 2005. I don't know why anyone's bringing up 1998, because that would be out of context. In the past 5 years, this is easily the most consistent goaltending in Detroit considering everything the team has gone through this year.

#19 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Babcock said it's been the most consistent goaltending since HE has been here... which is since 2005. I don't know why anyone's bringing up 1998, because that would be out of context. In the past 5 years, this is easily the most consistent goaltending in Detroit considering everything the team has gone through this year.

:thumbup:
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#20 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Hasek was crap in the time period when babcock was here, 2002 was a different story.