• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

Babcock: Goaltending the best since I've been here

Rate this topic

I think this is as good as [we've been in net] since I've been here

I mean, I know Jimmy's been good and all that, but really? Better than Osgood/Hasek in 2008 when they won the Jennings and Osgood was the starter at the All-Star game, 1st in GAA and went 27-9-4? Now I know we had a much better team then, but still. Does he really mean this, or is he having another jibe at Ozzie (who would now offically be Hudlers replacement as Mike Babcock's go-to scapegoat).

http://sports.espn.g...cott&id=5034714

Edited by Nev

He has played himself into consideration for the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top goaltender. And while we're at it, if we're going to discuss Buffalo's Ryan Miller as a potential Hart Trophy nominee, then you have to throw Howard in the mix, as well.

I don't about all of that. Those are some strong words. But Babs may be right. If Howard hadn't stepped in like he did, we may not be in playoff contention right now. I don't think any of the goalies of the recent past have made as strong of a contribution and carried us through such adversity (injuries, etc).

I mean, I know Jimmy's been good and all that, but really? Better than Osgood/Hasek in 2008 when they won the Jennings and Osgood was the starter at the All-Star game, 1st in GAA and went 27-9-4? Now I know we had a much better team then, but still. Does he really mean this, or is he having another jibe at Ozzie (who would now offically be Hudlers replacement as Mike Babcock's go-to scapegoat).

http://sports.espn.g...cott&id=5034714

After living through the Hasek/Cujo, Hasek/Osgood debates, I certainly hope this doesn't evolve into a goalie flame war. Having said that, I think I agree with Babcock. In 08, Hasek and Osgood were awesome, no doubt, but what Howard has done this year is amazing. I've always thought that a goalie's save percentage was the most telling stat of how good they are. Howard's save percentage is incredible and most of the year he played with a team that was severely depleted by injuries.

Plus, I wonder if Babcock isn't doing some psycological work to try to make Howard feel even more confident before the playoffs start.

After living through the Hasek/Cujo, Hasek/Osgood debates, I certainly hope this doesn't evolve into a goalie flame war.

They (the flame wars) were such a joke in 07/08 though. Both were playing terrifically. In fact IIRC they ended up with identical numbers that year.

Babs has to say those things. What is he going to say? "Well, we are usually 1st in the division and 1st or 2nd overall right now, so goaltending has been less than spectacular." No. He wants Jimmy to get press and possible trophies at the end of the year and to piss off Ozzie at the same time.

Well we won the cup in 08' so to say that it's better than that.....Only if we win the cup.... and maybe he was talking about down this stretch? I can't agree with him on this. I can say I was a Howard skeptic at the beginning of the season, I'm impressed with him and how Howard and the rest of the guys have learned to play together. But BEST since he's been here.....Insane. Id think he's taking a shot at Osgood in some small way.

Why does he have to make a comment like this? Honestly. It is unnecessary. Howard does not need a confidence boost from Babs after the way he has played down the stretch and Ozzie does not deserve to have stupid shots (such as these) taken at him.

I think it was based on the fact that the wings were so banged up, yet Howard kept a low 2GAA average. In the past, we had a stunning offense all season and never had trouble making it to the playoffs. This year was totally different and we had to rely on the goalie a ton. I would guess that's why he said it. As far as regular season goes, anyway....

If you're talking PLayoffs, you cannot take away what Osgood has done the last 2 years.

What do you guys think will happen come playoff time now? If you would have asked me a month or two ago, I would have said Babs would go to Osgood to start the playoffs. Now I have no doubt Howard will start the playoffs, and as long as he doesn't waiver, will stay in net. I do think Babs will switch to Osgood though at the first sight of big trouble.

After living through the Hasek/Cujo, Hasek/Osgood debates, I certainly hope this doesn't evolve into a goalie flame war. Having said that, I think I agree with Babcock. In 08, Hasek and Osgood were awesome, no doubt, but what Howard has done this year is amazing. I've always thought that a goalie's save percentage was the most telling stat of how good they are. Howard's save percentage is incredible and most of the year he played with a team that was severely depleted by injuries.

Plus, I wonder if Babcock isn't doing some psycological work to try to make Howard feel even more confident before the playoffs start.

In my opinion this is exactly what Babcock is doing and it makes complete sense.

"Now I have no doubt Howard will start the playoffs, and as long as he doesn't waiver, will stay in net. I do think Babs will switch to Osgood though at the first sight of big trouble."

This. +1 to you my friend.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think Ozzie will play in the playoffs, the sole reason being that he has only played 15 games this year. I know he has done wonders for us the last two years in the playoffs, but I don't think it is possible to have played that few games in the regular season, and just jump in as a starter in the playoffs.

Edited by Real1

I'm not sure if the goaltending right now is better than Osgood's 2008 playoff run. Pretty close, though.

My guess is that he was not necessarily talking about the playoffs. Without a doubt Jimmeh has been hung out to dry more than any goalie in recent Red Wing history and that has a lot to do with it.

Why does he have to make a comment like this? Honestly. It is unnecessary. Howard does not need a confidence boost from Babs after the way he has played down the stretch and Ozzie does not deserve to have stupid shots (such as these) taken at him.

I don't think this is a shot at Ozzie at all. I have to agree with Babs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet shots against are up this season, our goals for are down (maybe not so much as of late), and we've had a ton of injuries. Yet this team could still finish with 100 points and as high as the 5 slot. As far as regular season goaltending goes, this has been the best in a while. We'll see how he does come playoff time.

With all the challenges this year we've had to rely more on the goalie more than before. I understand and agree with how Babcock is handling this, I don't think he purposely trying to bash Osgood with nitpick quotes in the press more than he is trying to keep Jimmy consistently playing at the level he has.

If anyone really has a problem with this quote they need to reevaluate their player before team mindset. I don't see how anyone could take this goaltending situation negatively when Howard has been such a surprise and so successful in such a difficult situation.

Edited by Carman

I posted this in the JH Watch Thread, might as well post it here in regards to the Burnside article...

I was thinking he was going a little overboard with the Vezina talk, but if you really look at the numbers, and he keeps it up the last few games, he has a case for at least being nominated.

If you take out the goalies that haven't started at least 41 games (half the season), this is where Howard ranks...

Wins

5. Ryan Miller 37 Wins (65 starts)

9. Jimmy Howard 32 Wins (55 starts)

GAA

1. Ryan Miller 2.21

2. Jimmy Howard 2.24

S%

1. Ryan Miller .929

2. Thomas Vokoun .927 (23 Wins, 2.45 GAA)

3. Jimmy Howard .926

That's just crazy to look at.

Babcock said it's been the most consistent goaltending since HE has been here... which is since 2005. I don't know why anyone's bringing up 1998, because that would be out of context. In the past 5 years, this is easily the most consistent goaltending in Detroit considering everything the team has gone through this year.

Babcock said it's been the most consistent goaltending since HE has been here... which is since 2005. I don't know why anyone's bringing up 1998, because that would be out of context. In the past 5 years, this is easily the most consistent goaltending in Detroit considering everything the team has gone through this year.

:thumbup:

Guest REDWINGSFTW

Hasek was crap in the time period when babcock was here, 2002 was a different story.

Nothing wrong with those comments at all. Even if Babcock is taking a shot at Ozzy, good. The guy plays lights out in the playoffs then can't make a save in teh regular season to save his life. He is the pinnacle of inconsistency. WIth Howard I really think we've got a goalie for the future and can count on him for years to come. He needs some playoff experience this year.