• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Crashnburnluder

Winter Classic 2011

Rate this topic

Im trying to find a link, but I have heard a bunch of rumors about it being Ovechkin vs Crosby in the Winter Classic for 2011.... My brother just said that they announced it on the news that it will be played at Heinz Field.....

If this is true the NHL is official becoming more of a joke with each breath Bettman takes....

crash

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Sid-vs-Ovie-at-Heinz-Field-Winter-Class?urn=nhl,230618

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Wouldn't be a bad idea. The two best players in the game, two very good playoff teams, and conference rivals.

Seems like a given to me?

The Winter Classic is about making money, and this match-up would more than likely have the most draw than any other match up.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. The two best players in the game, two very good playoff teams, and conference rivals.

Seems like a given to me?

The Winter Classic is about making money, and this match-up would more than likely have the most draw than any other match up.

there are other teams in the NHL and other fans... How is it fair for a team like the Penguins to have the spot light this draws on your team and revenue.... Twice before 20+ other teams get a shot...

what about teams like the Rangers, Devils, Minnasota, Colorado.... there are other teams that really could use the TV time...

Guest mindfly

there are other teams in the NHL and other fans... How is it fair for a team like the Penguins to have the spot light this draws on your team and revenue.... Twice before 20+ other teams get a shot...

what about teams like the Rangers, Devils, Minnasota, Colorado.... there are other teams that really could use the TV time...

Or why not phoenix-L.A in phoenix?

Those teams don't draw nearly as much as Pittsburgh.

The Classic needs to create as much attention as possible, not try and shed light on a little known team that many of the casual fans would have no idea about.

I don't like the idea. I think everyone should have at least one shot before someone gets two. Minnesota would have been a great place to have it.

I realize Buttman thinks he has to kiss his golden boy's ass, but this just isn't right.

If Crysby is in the Classic I will not watch it! I do not watch Penguins games because of him (unless they play the Wings). I simply cannot stand how much attention his overrated ass gets and to be honest the games really are not that good anyway! I think if its Pittsburgh/Washington that I would rather watch the College Bowl Games! Way to fail again Bettman!

The Classic needs to create as much attention as possible, not try and shed light on a little known team that many of the casual fans would have no idea about.

your telling me that putting a minnasota vs Colorado game in minny wouldn't draw attention...

This is all just to say crosby's name a few 100 more times on a national broadcast and have commercials with him...

Bettman just wants to fill his pocket before his tenure as the GM of the NHL runs out cause there is no way he is staying...

Added: I also want to say the winter classic is not just a money scheme... It is to help to get the league exposure and the teams exposure.... They just screwed that by adding a team that was already there and already has a big fan base.... They are trying to promote hockey in te United States (this is why they won't allow Canadian teams) and this is the perfect time to display your american team USA talent by having a guy like Parise in the winter classic... But once again bettman drops the ball.... If you want to promote this sport to the United states... Stop shovig the kid that stole our gold medal down our throat...

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Minnesota vs. Colorado? I'd watch in a heartbeat. And I'm not particularly a fan of either of those teams. Pittsburgh vs. Washington? Nuh uh. And I'm an Ovie fan. But if Bettman does that, it's just more Pittsburgh bias showing through.

Added: I also want to say the winter classic is not just a money scheme... It is to help to get the league exposure and the teams exposure.... They just screwed that by adding a team that was already there and already has a big fan base.... They are trying to promote hockey in te United States (this is why they won't allow Canadian teams) and this is the perfect time to display your american team USA talent by having a guy like Parise in the winter classic... But once again bettman drops the ball.... If you want to promote this sport to the United states... Stop shovig the kid that stole our gold medal down our throat...

Rangers vs. Devils, Yankee Stadium.

Voilà.

Maybe this is me being biased toward the West, but the East got their Winter Classic last year. It's our turn. Why not something like Minnesota and Colorado. Especially since the East only has like a couple really really good teams and the West has been so tough this year.

http://kdka.com/sports/Winter.classic.Pittsburgh.2.1587640.html

the NHL is once again a mickey mouse league.....

I know this is far fetched.... But does anybody here know how to set up a rally... I was thinking we should get all the pissed off NHL fans and meet right outside the NHL live studios at the NHL reebok store.... I figure you could get a lot of ticked off ranger Philly and devils fans....

Like it or not Caps/Pens is the biggest rivalry in the league right now, it has the two biggest stars and the games are always fun.

You can't blame them for going with it from a marketing standpoint. Sure you can say the Rangers or Devils should get the chance.. but both are pretty boring teams. It's not the best way to show off the NHL.

If every teams should get one go before anyone gets their 2nd, soon we'll have Nashville vs. Phoenix and matchups like that.

All the NHL cares about these days are the new fans. I totally understand wanting to get more people interested, but over the last few years the league has shown that they do not give a s*** about the "old" fans, and they are going to start losing some of them soon.

Would everyone be complaining if the Wings got another Winter Classic?

Probably not..... Would we realize it's unfair... Yes

would teams around te league hate it as much as they are going to hate hearing Crosby over and over again no.... Face it

the Pens are one of the most hated teams in the league... And it's not because of how

they play or how good they are... It's the fact they are shoved down every fans throat... You can't watch one single national broadcast with out Crosby being mentioned or shown....

And as for everytean getting it's shot... Yes right now a Nashville winter classic sounds pretty lame.... But who knows in 5-10 years.... I know pre Crosby and ovechkin that if

the wanted a caps vs pens winter classic every one would yawn..... Teams change drasticly....

I still think that you have to promote your countries best if you want to win over the American fans but they just screwed the devils and rangers on that one.....

Heck I wouldn't have even minded if they had buffalo again.... Because of Miller... Promote the guys that won us the silver not the guy that stole our gold...

This is just a rumor right now. None of the papers here have said this is true yet. This all started when a Pittsburgh news reporter speculated about a Pens-Caps Winter Classic at PNC Park and other media outlets took this and ran with it. The Steelers could potentially have a home game on January 2nd and if that's the case, they probably wouldn't be able to do both on the same weekend.

This is just a rumor right now. None of the papers here have said this is true yet. This all started when a Pittsburgh news reporter speculated about a Pens-Caps Winter Classic at PNC Park and other media outlets took this and ran with it. The Steelers could potentially have a home game on January 2nd and if that's the case, they probably wouldn't be able to do both on the same weekend.

true, but they did talk about it on NHL live the other day... Which would be a place they would want to keep it under wraps that most on.... For NHL live to bring it up to a guest on the show there has to be some truth to it...

Why this hasn't been done already is beyond me. The marketing practically writes itself.

After the 09 winter classic this game was brought up a bunch, but yankee stadium has a NCAA bowl game happening in it around Jan 1st, and while possible, the NHL would have very little time to set up the rink. It will be 3-4 years before a hockey game happens in yankee stadium.

I feel like the upside to having a Pens Caps winter classic is that while both teams have a large fan base, both also have a lot of buzz around them which could attract a casual hockey fan to watch the game.

It would be neat if they used the winter classic to be the first game of the season between the two teams that played for the cup the year before.