• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Crashnburnluder

Winter Classic 2011

Rate this topic

The NHL is a business first and foremost. While it sucks for the other teams that Pittsburgh is likely going to get another shot at it before the majority of the league gets shot number 1, its in the best interest of the league and NBC (I'm sure they had a say in what they want) to utilize Crosby and Ovechkin and the Penguins and the Capitals while they're each in their prime. I know I'd watch it.

All i know is that i wouldn't be watching it if it were the penguins and the caps. That's what the league wants screw them, its bull crap that they don't give their most valuable franchise a shot at it before double tapping the pens. I think the leafs should get a winter classic bid, that's where hockey started pens had their chance and won why give them another shot at it.

I like that idea.

Minnesota and Dallas in Minnesota is a damned good idea. I'd watch that one. But Pittsburgh? Hell, no. I'd watch reruns of "It's Me or the Dog" first.

While I would like to see more exposure to either teams and don't like the idea of Pitt in another WC, I know I would still watch a Caps v. Pens matchup. Those who are saying they wouldn't... bulls***.

I thought for sure that the Maple Leafs would be involved in the next Classic.

There has been speculation that there will be two Winter Classics, because NBC does not want to carry a Canadian team. One would be two American teams; another would be two Canadian teams.

Ovie vs Crosby... It's the easy road, a no brain automatic success. It is also what I would do even if it was the Pens 15th winter classic in a row.

But hey, that's from a "I wanna make money" stand point and not a " I'm a Hockey fan" point of view.

I will say this... I know they are trying to make this a big money ploy and all that jazz... but they sure as hell are doing one thing....

They are pissing off a large amount of regular and die hard fans of the NHL is a off chance they might pull in a couple more casual fans to root for the Penguins.... These teams are already so well known through out there area the draw on a casual fan is so small because they already know about the sport and the game and the rivalary... If you want to go after fans go after a market with young stars and promote the young stars in other areas... the Parise's the Duchene's, the Stamkos's no the guy that is on every commercial, every poster, and some how is talked about on every national broadcast game even if he is not even playing in the game...

I don't see how having the Penguins in another game is helping the league. The whole US hates Crosby after the Olympics.

And the whole US will be watching hoping to see him fall to this Ovechkin fella, who apparently stands for everything Crosby doesn't.

Like it or not Caps/Pens is the biggest rivalry in the league right now, it has the two biggest stars and the games are always fun.

You can't blame them for going with it from a marketing standpoint. Sure you can say the Rangers or Devils should get the chance.. but both are pretty boring teams. It's not the best way to show off the NHL.

If every teams should get one go before anyone gets their 2nd, soon we'll have Nashville vs. Phoenix and matchups like that.

Are you kidding me? That last game, before the shootout, was a pure snoozer.

Would everyone be complaining if the Wings got another Winter Classic?

The Wings have been showcased. Winter Classic, Sweden and they always have 4 slots on NBC. Yes, I would like them to play in another Winter Classic but I think other teams should have a shot at being in one before we see repeating teams.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here, but...

I honestly can't think of a better matchup than this to market to the casual/new fan. To my mind, this is the most important thing the NHL can be doing, as a business. As much as I'd love to see players like Miller or Parise showcased, they just aren't a reason for casual fans to tune in at this point. If they really want to highlight young stars other than AO and Crosby, it has to start with marketing well in advance of the Winter Classic for these stars be a pull for new viewers/potential fans. Simply focusing on them during the broadcast doesn't really accomplish much, as people won't tune in on the strength of Zach Parise's Q score alone.

As a hockey fan, of course there are other games I'd like to see: Montreal/Toronto, Detroit/Pittsburgh, Montreal/Boston, San Jose/Vancouver (sorry, I'm on the west coast ;)), New York/New Jersey and I LOVE the Dallas/Minnesota idea.

But the fact is, none of them will draw major network ratings like Washington/Pittsburgh. That match-up is almost as widely appealing as the Wings/Avs rivalry in the late 90's.

I also don't buy the idea that every team should be given a shot before a team is repeated. IMO, they should look at what will draw the most viewers and has the best storyline for showcase each season. Currently, unfortunately for many here, that match-up happens to involve Sid Crosby, his 2009 Cup winning Pens, Alexander Ovechkin and his likely 2010 President Trophy winning Caps.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

They should do Capitals @ Rangers IMO. They could play the game in the New Meadowlands Stadium they just built

You would think the NHL would use this event to get people excited about hockey in a potentially big market like New York. I do understand that they want to promote the whole star power thing but it can backfire. What is going to happen to the ratings of the SCF if the devils or sabres win the east? Casual sports fans know nothing about those two teams because all they see is Crosby and Ovechkin. And also you would think they would want to promote more American players like Parise.