• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Crashnburnluder

Winter Classic 2011

Rate this topic

Those teams don't draw nearly as much as Pittsburgh.

The Classic needs to create as much attention as possible, not try and shed light on a little known team that many of the casual fans would have no idea about.

Ya Pittsburgh draws. <_<

They were quite ready to fold up shop altogether before fortuitously being presented with a 2nd 1st overall pick.

Anyhow, how about Washington at NY Rangers at Giants stadium?

This would be hilarious to me: Florida and Tampa Bay draft two superstars in the next couple drafts, and watch in about five years as the NHL tries to somehow create and sell a Florida/Tampa Bay winter classic game...

Ugh. Why...

I think as many teams as possible should get the chance to play before you repeat. There are lots of alternatives than Pittsburgh right now, who already played in a game. If we are keeping this to a U.S. theme...

New York Rangers/Islanders - Yankee Stadium

New Jersey Devils - Rutgers Unviersity football stadium (both in East Rutherford)

Minnesota - Minnesota University football stadium (they no longer play in the Metrodome, have a fine on-campus facility in Minneapolis area for football to call their own for 2 years now)

Washington - Stadium where the Redskins play

Denver - Mile High Stadium or Coors Field

St. Louis - Stadium where the Cardinals play (Rams play in a dome)

Carolina - Stadium where the Panthers play

Nashville - Stadium where the Titans play

I eliminated teams and venues that have already been involved in the Winter Classic, and did not include any of the California teams, Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, or the FLorida teams due to climate.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

The Capitals vs. Pens is not a rivalry. A lot of their game have very little action. The public just makes it out to be a rivalry because it is the two most popular players facing off.

Edited by cjm502

They should do Capitals @ Rangers IMO. They could play the game in the New Meadowlands Stadium they just built

This. Best player in the league, an original 6 team, two teams who HAVEN'T BEEN IN WC BEFORE. Yankee Stadium, Meadowlands, plenty of venues and two huge market teams.

Also for those of you who have used the "if it was the wings no one would complain" argument... That argument is soo ignorant. The fact is... its NOT the Wings. Why even bring that up? Attempting to use foolish reverse psychology and false hypothetical scenarios is just dumb. "What if it were the Wings?" Well, its not the wings... its the pens... again, and again, and again, its always them who get the breaks, more than enough evidence to show that.

Also I don't see how this gives any more 'exposure' to hockey than any other good matchups. If there is one team that casual or non hockey fans DEFINITELY already know about, its the Pens. They are already ridiculously overexposed, how would they bring anything in terms of new exposure?

I hate they sacrifice quality for money/exposure at the expense of the fanbase that has been supporting the NHL for years. Does the NHL really expect to attract more 'new' fans than the number of 'real' fans that it already has?

Honestly you guys need to stop crying about Pittsburgh getting the attention when the reality is Pittsburgh brings in ratings. As does Washington. As does Detroit. That's why they get the majority of NBC matchups.

Devils: Horrible TV ratings would not help bring in revenue for the WC

Minnesota: Too many people translate the Wild to being a trap team which wouldn't be popular

Any sunbelt team: No.

Personally for the sake of rivalries I would prefer a Rags/Devils matchup before this, but at the same time this is going to bring in viewers (including a good number of people here who say they will boycott the game) and the more viewers the better.

My vote is for a double header:

Game 1 - 3PM (eastern)

Capitals vs Rangers (great team vs great market)

Game 2 - 7PM (eastern)

Colorado vs Minnesota

This was already discussed on here and if I remember right most people didnt like the idea of a double header at all.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Wasn't Crosby's fault Ovechkin doesn't come to play and only cares about money and women.

link?

Ahh, the NHL and the uninspiring ideas from its leadership. What about the idea of simply locking in the Stanley Cup Finals every year to Washington versus Pittsburgh and stop this horsecrap about the regular season. Because I'm sure Crosby versus Ovechkin angle hasn't been beaten to death yet for the "casual hockey fan" who missed the first 3,023,923,580 meetings between these two meatheads.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. The two best players in the game, two very good playoff teams, and conference rivals.

Seems like a given to me?

The Winter Classic is about making money, and this match-up would more than likely have the most draw than any other match up.

Toronto @ Calgary

Would produce plenty of fanship, would be a boost to the Canadian crowd and markets who are perhaps the most popular of the teams who have not participated in an outdoor game. So no, Ovi vs. Crosby is over done as is, no need for a Winter Classic there. Washington is fine, but Pittsburgh was only 2 seasons ago, just seems a little extensive for drawing fans/making money.

Kinda stupid to feature a team twice, within a couple of years. The NHL screwed up with the match-ups big-time. The only good venue/match-up was the Wings and Hawks. The Buffalo one should not have featured Pitt, it could have been Buffalo and New Jersey or something. Also, the Bruins and Flyers was a bad call too. Fenway is a great venue, but they should have put New York there instead. Although confined to one state, a Philly/Pitt match-up at Beaver Stadium would have been good.

For 2011, I agree with many posters about the Colorado vs. Minnesota. This whole Ovechkin vs. Crosby crap is over rated and worthless anyways.

Kinda stupid to feature a team twice, within a couple of years. The NHL screwed up with the match-ups big-time. The only good venue/match-up was the Wings and Hawks. The Buffalo one should not have featured Pitt, it could have been Buffalo and New Jersey or something. Also, the Bruins and Flyers was a bad call too. Fenway is a great venue, but they should have put New York there instead. Although confined to one state, a Philly/Pitt match-up at Beaver Stadium would have been good.

For 2011, I agree with many posters about the Colorado vs. Minnesota. This whole Ovechkin vs. Crosby crap is over rated and worthless anyways.

But that would target a smaller amount of fans due to them being so close. I know Detroit and Chicago are close, but at least they are both absolutely giant cities and original 6 teams.

Toronto @ Calgary

Would produce plenty of fanship, would be a boost to the Canadian crowd and markets who are perhaps the most popular of the teams who have not participated in an outdoor game. So no, Ovi vs. Crosby is over done as is, no need for a Winter Classic there. Washington is fine, but Pittsburgh was only 2 seasons ago, just seems a little extensive for drawing fans/making money.

LOL Something tells me the 1% of Canada that doesn't pay attention to hockey already isn't going to be changed no matter what teams play.

Toronto @ Calgary

As someone else said, the small untapped market in Canada isn't going to change their mind because of this match-up. Further, absolutely no one in America that isn't already a die hard will even watch the commercials for this game.

Some of the replies in this thread make me seriously wonder if people here have ever worked with a national marketing campaign. They don't need to overtly please us with this single game of the year, people. They already have us pleased with the other 82-ish that we watch, happily. Why on earth would/should they cater to the die hards when they have the big stage for once? We'll be there anyway!

I worked at a national ticketing company for a ton of years, and people like us were their favorite users, by and large. We knew what we wanted, we bought tickets to those events (period) and we spent very little time on the website making decisions. As such, they didn't need to spend marketing dollar one on us. We were pure profit. Whereas most of the marketing spend and effort went to user acquisition, trying to gain new users who didn't meet the above criteria.

If you were the NHL, and trying to increase revenue, you'd seriously consider playing a Minnesota/Dallas game before putting Sid on the main stage again against his (media) arch rival? I'm glad we're all armchair only commissioners, as that type of thinking would sink the league faster than a lockout.

REPORT:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

The Pens again? Really?? Should other teams have a chance to play in these WC's??

I'd rather see Florida and Columbus for Heaven's sake!!!

If this happens the NHL is even dumber than I thought.

Edited by rage

Well the rumour is they're going to play the caps. I'm not a big pitt fan at all, but do you really think thats a dumb idea? Puting the two most marketable players against each other in the winter classic.

But don't you think that other teams deserve a shot to play in the Winter Classic as well??

It's not fair to other teams and their fans. This is just another way to shove Pitt and Crosby down everyone's throats.