• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#81 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

It's weird that the NHL with it's salary cap and whatnot likes to promote equality amongst teams and markets.

Yet they unfairly promote certain teams over others.

Even the NFL has Lions vs Dolphins (hypothetically) on Monday Night Football.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#82 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

I think we should all just get used to the fact that the Pens are the cash cow of the NHL. Bettman and Co. are scratching and clawing for fans from their fat cat seats. The faster we can all get to the point or something near it where all this publicity doesn't bother hockey fans or inspire any emotion of any kind the better off we'll be. I really hope one day we'll be able to treat all this mess in the manner of, "Parise scored last night. Yep that's how he is." We hear about it and then we're done with it right away.

#83 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

It's weird that the NHL with it's salary cap and whatnot likes to promote equality amongst teams and markets.

You really don't understand the difference between creating competition between teams in the NHL and focusing media attention on the most profitable teams in the NHL?

Posted Image

#84 godwings19

godwings19

YZERMAN IS GOD

• 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

If Crysby is in the Classic I will not watch it! I do not watch Penguins games because of him (unless they play the Wings). I simply cannot stand how much attention his overrated ass gets and to be honest the games really are not that good anyway! I think if its Pittsburgh/Washington that I would rather watch the College Bowl Games! Way to fail again Bettman!

i would rather watch grass grow.... i agree completely with u man....
there will never be a better player than yzerman....

#85 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:44 AM

NHL announces 2012 + 2013 Winter Classics

2012: Pittsburgh v Philly @ Heinz Field
2013: Pittsburgh v Washington @ Heinz Field
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#86 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:55 AM

Wouldn't be a bad idea. The two best players in the game, two very good playoff teams, and conference rivals.

Seems like a given to me?

The Winter Classic is about making money, and this match-up would more than likely have the most draw than any other match up.

Clearly Ovechkin will be there but when did you hear Sedin was going to be playing for the Caps or Pens next season?

You really don't understand the difference between creating competition between teams in the NHL and focusing media attention on the most profitable teams in the NHL?

If this was about the most profitable teams in the NHL the Leafs would be playing in the 2011 Winter Classic.

Some of the replies in this thread make me seriously wonder if people here have ever worked with a national marketing campaign.

lol wut?

You needed to read the replies here to question that? What percentage of the world population do you assume has worked with a national marketing campaign?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#87 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

I hope that there is a Pens vs. Caps WC match-up and that Sid and AO both miss the game due to short term injuries.

#88 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:35 AM

I hope that there is a Pens vs. Caps WC match-up and that Sid and AO both miss the game due to short term injuries.

Because they're secret lovers.

#89 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

lol wut?

You needed to read the replies here to question that? What percentage of the world population do you assume has worked with a national marketing campaign?

HAHAHAHAHA

The guy has point in assuming everybody on this hockey forum works on national marketing campaigns. :lol:

that deserves to be in a signature

Edited by cupforwings, 29 March 2010 - 01:58 AM.

#90 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:19 AM

But don't you think that other teams deserve a shot to play in the Winter Classic as well??

It's not fair to other teams and their fans. This is just another way to shove Pitt and Crosby down everyone's throats.

My thoughts exactly. I, for one, am so damned sick and tired of having Crosby shoved down my throat, it's not funny. Enough already. He makes me nauseous. That is why I'd much rather see Dallas and Minnesota, or Colorado and San Jose (actually, Colorado and Vancouver would be great if we could convince Bettman to let a Canadian team play), or even the Rangers and the Islanders over the Penguins again. Give us a break, for cryin' out loud.
Posted Image

#91 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:32 AM

lol wut?

Heh. Well done. Lump taken graciously, and I admit to poor words on my part.

All I really meant by that, as I think the rest of my post illustrated, is that if you think about the NHL as a business (and one that lost a significant market share following the lockout), it makes more sense to approach the Winter Classic as an acquisition opportunity than as a platform for user retention. When you only get center stage once (or so) a year, you don't use it to sing to your girlfriend despite your shareholders.

I'm not even a marketer, and I can see that.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#92 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

Heh. Well done. Lump taken graciously, and I admit to poor words on my part.

All I really meant by that, as I think the rest of my post illustrated, is that if you think about the NHL as a business (and one that lost a significant market share following the lockout), it makes more sense to approach the Winter Classic as an acquisition opportunity than as a platform for user retention. When you only get center stage once (or so) a year, you don't use it to sing to your girlfriend despite your shareholders.

I'm not even a marketer, and I can see that.

I get what you're saying man. I'm not advocating they do a Nashville vs. Minnesota game but I think they can do a better job than using Pitts again. The market is saturated with Crosby.

The Caps should definitely be one of the teams-- Ovi sells the game and they haven't been in a classic yet. What about the Rangers? The NY market is retardedly huge. The Kings? That's another huge market that would turn in just because it's a local team. Plus they're young and upcomers. The Sharks are a good choice too-- they actually have a very strong following and are full of stars.

I think it'd be smart to include an NCAA rivalry game alongside the WC as well. NCAA rivalry sells in the USA. Michigan vs Ohio anyone? Fans from Basketball and Football know how hot that game would be and just might tune in hoping to see some fights.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#93 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:52 AM

hey hey dolphins rule okay... Jake Long ftw!

#94 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:12 AM

I get what you're saying man. I'm not advocating they do a Nashville vs. Minnesota game but I think they can do a better job than using Pitts again. The market is saturated with Crosby.

The Caps should definitely be one of the teams-- Ovi sells the game and they haven't been in a classic yet. What about the Rangers? The NY market is retardedly huge. The Kings? That's another huge market that would turn in just because it's a local team. Plus they're young and upcomers. The Sharks are a good choice too-- they actually have a very strong following and are full of stars.

I think it'd be smart to include an NCAA rivalry game alongside the WC as well. NCAA rivalry sells in the USA. Michigan vs Ohio anyone? Fans from Basketball and Football know how hot that game would be and just might tune in hoping to see some fights.

Spasibo for not twisting the knife ;)

I understand your point as well, and could get behind a Caps/Rangers match-up for the reason you've outlined. I still maintain that LA and San Jose would not work nearly so well. New York has a rabid culture proud of its, well, New York-ness. People otherwise completely agnostic to hockey would tune in to either watch them succeed or fail (who doesn't love a good David and Goliath story?)

LA, not so much. They have some history, and a young and upcoming team (whom I love despite my inherent distaste for LA), but no real foundation for the love of the game...especially when the Lakers are in mid season. San Jose is an interesting choice, and taps into a fairly knowledgeable and devoted fanbase out here. But, even when you include far NorCal, you're still only talking about 8-9 million people to draw from. That's less than NYC has itself.

All that said, I still think a Pens/Caps game makes the most business sense, no matter how sick of Crosby I am (and I am!).
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#95 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:10 AM

Spasibo for not twisting the knife ;)

I understand your point as well, and could get behind a Caps/Rangers match-up for the reason you've outlined. I still maintain that LA and San Jose would not work nearly so well. New York has a rabid culture proud of its, well, New York-ness. People otherwise completely agnostic to hockey would tune in to either watch them succeed or fail (who doesn't love a good David and Goliath story?)

LA, not so much. They have some history, and a young and upcoming team (whom I love despite my inherent distaste for LA), but no real foundation for the love of the game...especially when the Lakers are in mid season. San Jose is an interesting choice, and taps into a fairly knowledgeable and devoted fanbase out here. But, even when you include far NorCal, you're still only talking about 8-9 million people to draw from. That's less than NYC has itself.

All that said, I still think a Pens/Caps game makes the most business sense, no matter how sick of Crosby I am (and I am!).

Just imagine the ratings you'd get with Caps vs Rangers at the new Yankee stadium!
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#96 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

If this was about the most profitable teams in the NHL the Leafs would be playing in the 2011 Winter Classic.

NBC doesn't make money off Canadian teams playing in the Winter Classic.

Posted Image

#97 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

The NHL only cares about ratings now, they never have a long term plan for the future. If you keep marketing the same teams how do you expect the league to grow. This is why teams like Phoenix fail. Last year their was an article on the machines they use to keep the ice in good condition. They explained how there is nothing preventing them from doing something like this in a warmer climate. I would like to see Sharks vs. Ducks with palm trees in the background. Now that would attract viewers.

#98 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

NBC doesn't make money off Canadian teams playing in the Winter Classic.

Well played.

By the way-- I hate that the NHL, as a league, bend over for network tv worse than any other sport. We have zero bargaining power. NBC wants the Cup Finals moved ahead a week? Bettman says "yes sir!".

The NHL only cares about ratings now, they never have a long term plan for the future. If you keep marketing the same teams how do you expect the league to grow. This is why teams like Phoenix fail. Last year their was an article on the machines they use to keep the ice in good condition. They explained how there is nothing preventing them from doing something like this in a warmer climate. I would like to see Sharks vs. Ducks with palm trees in the background. Now that would attract viewers.

Holy crap that would be cool looking. Really bizarre but definitely cool.

Didn't Gretzky play an exhibition in Vegas back in the 90's?
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#99 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Well played.

By the way-- I hate that the NHL, as a league, bend over for network tv worse than any other sport. We have zero bargaining power. NBC wants the Cup Finals moved ahead a week? Bettman says "yes sir!".

Holy crap that would be cool looking. Really bizarre but definitely cool.

Didn't Gretzky play an exhibition in Vegas back in the 90's?

This whole idea of Crosby vs. Ovechkin in the Winter Classic is such a crock of s***.Pittsburgh just played Buffalo a few years ago in the Classic.Jesus Christ,there's many more teams besides s***tsburgh in this league.Yes,Crosby vs. Ovechkin would be great,but seriously what about the other great hockey regions that haven't even been involved in a Winter Classic yet,like Minnesota,St.Louis,Montreal,Ottawa,Toronto,Vancouver,Calgary,Edmonton,Colorado,New Jersey,etc.I don't care whether NBC doesn't make profit off of Canadian teams.That's a crock of s*** too.If the Winter Classic is really about promoting the game of hockey,they will put the games wherever they would get the most exposure,regardless of thef****** profits involved.The money will come later if the game is exposed in the right place.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#100 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

This whole idea of Crosby vs. Ovechkin in the Winter Classic is such a crock of s***.Pittsburgh just played Buffalo a few years ago in the Classic.Jesus Christ,there's many more teams besides s***tsburgh in this league.Yes,Crosby vs. Ovechkin would be great,but seriously what about the other great hockey regions that haven't even been involved in a Winter Classic yet,like Minnesota,St.Louis,Montreal,Ottawa,Toronto,Vancouver,Calgary,Edmonton,Colorado,New Jersey,etc.I don't care whether NBC doesn't make profit off of Canadian teams.That's a crock of s*** too.If the Winter Classic is really about promoting the game of hockey,they will put the games wherever they would get the most exposure,regardless of thef****** profits involved.The money will come later if the game is exposed in the right place.

Lol the way this league markets they would be doomed if OV and Crosby collided in a knee to knee and had career ending injuries. <_< I don't even know if I would call the Pens Caps a rivalry it's more between Crosby and OV. I feel if you took those two off of their teams nothing would be there. I guess you could say the same for some other rivalries.