• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Fallout:

Rate this topic

If they had beaten Canada, then the same panic would surround the state of Canadian hockey.

Russia just got unlucky that they played Canada so soon. Someone had to lose that game.

Also, they chose the wrong coach and were really hurt by not having Zubov and Markov on the team.

And of course Nabokov didn't come to play that night, and I doubt that had anything to do with Russian coaching and chemistry. The guy just flat out sucked in that game.

If they had beaten Canada, then the same panic would surround the state of Canadian hockey.

Russia just got unlucky that they played Canada so soon. Someone had to lose that game.

Also, they chose the wrong coach and were really hurt by not having Zubov and Markov on the team.

And of course Nabokov didn't come to play that night, and I doubt that had anything to do with Russian coaching and chemistry. The guy just flat out sucked in that game.

Canada wouldn't be in a state of panic for losing to Russia. If they got blown out like Russia did then maybe but I think everyone knew it was 2 of the top teams going against each other.

See: Torino, 2006.

Just like the first USA-Canada game?

There was also a great rumour floated in the Edmonton Journal; Wayne Gretzky has been approached by the St. Petersburg team to be their head coach.

Canada wouldn't be in a state of panic for losing to Russia. If they got blown out like Russia did then maybe but I think everyone knew it was 2 of the top teams going against each other.

I completely disagree. Blowout or no blowout I think had Canada lost that game they would have been in a complete state of panic. I live in Canada and honestly, the media here throws a complete s*** fit when Canada 'underperforms' on the big stage of international hockey competition. They have competition committees and task groups and strategic implementation teams and blah blah blah to find out what's wrong with Canadian hockey. I swear, you can't turn on a sports television station without hearing about it - when Canada loses. It is absolutely insane.

If Canada had lost taht early it would have been an absolute s*** storm

I completely disagree. Blowout or no blowout I think had Canada lost that game they would have been in a complete state of panic. I live in Canada and honestly, the media here throws a complete s*** fit when Canada 'underperforms' on the big stage of international hockey competition. They have competition committees and task groups and strategic implementation teams and blah blah blah to find out what's wrong with Canadian hockey. I swear, you can't turn on a sports television station without hearing about it - when Canada loses. It is absolutely insane.

This. Without a doubt!

This is a standard response that I've read in several place, but it's completely and utterly ridiculous. "If they had beaten Canada..." News Flash: They didn't, champ, they got their asses blown out and they looked terrible while doing it. Unlucky to play Canada so soon? If they're as good as you're implying, wouldn't Canada have been unlucky to play Russia so soon? Do you think Russia would have had a different result if they'd played the USA in the quarters? Because I sure don't. The Americans would have killed the Russians with the teams and coaching they brought to that tournament.

Russia easily brought the most talented and possibly the most favored team to the tourney and Bykov coached them into the ground. They didn't look like the elite team they were supposed to be and these inquiries and changes are definitely worth the time if Russia is going to be ready for Sochi.

Edited by Yellowknife Redwing

This is a standard response that I've read in several place, but it's completely and utterly ridiculous. "If they had beaten Canada..." News Flash: They didn't, champ, they got their asses blown out and they looked terrible while doing it. Unlucky to play Canada so soon? If they're as good as you're implying, wouldn't Canada have been unlucky to play Russia so soon? Do you think Russia would have had a different result if they'd played the USA in the quarters? Because I sure don't. The Americans would have killed the Russians with the teams and coaching they brought to that tournament.

Russia easily brought the most talented and possibly the most favored team to the tourney and Bykov coached them into the ground. They didn't look like the elite team they were supposed to be and these inquiries and changes are definitely worth the time if Russia is going to be ready for Sochi.

How you got all that from the quoted post is beyond me. You need to relax.

Just like the first USA-Canada game?

Exactly.

There was panic in Canada just from losing that first game against USA, which wasn't even an elimination game.

How you got all that from the quoted post is beyond me. You need to relax.

No kidding. Total overreaction.

There was also a great rumour floated in the Edmonton Journal; Wayne Gretzky has been approached by the St. Petersburg team to be their head coach.

Huh, interesting. Didn't they just fire Barry Smith? They've certainly got the money to afford Wayne-o, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he was interested.

Agreed, Canada losing to Russia in Canada would cause a s*** storm.

Huh, interesting. Didn't they just fire Barry Smith? They've certainly got the money to afford Wayne-o, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he was interested.

From The Globe and Mail :

American Barry Smith quit as coach of Russian ice hockey club SKA St Petersburg on Tuesday, a day after the team were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round for the third year in a row.

“I am the head coach, therefore responsible for all this,” Smith, 57, told a news conference before announcing his resignation.