• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

Iginla has 3 years left on his contract and turns 33 on July 1 of this year. HIs current contract pays him $7M/yr over the remaining three years of his deal and that goes along with a $7M/yr cap hit. I'll admit that he is a great Right Winger and could definitely do a lot of damage but that price tag is huge and he only put up 35 goals last year and currently sits at 32 this season. Granted, that is in Calgary and he is playing with Stajan right now I believe. So you'd like to think that would obviously go up playing alongside Datsyuk or Zetterberg or hell even Filppula. But in my opinion, $7M for 3 more years is a lot to tie up when we have a lot of guys over the course of the net few years needing contracts I think that would make things that much harder to retain the future of our team.

Stuart and Kronwall need new deals in two years. Ericsson and Howard need new deals after next year etc.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#42 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

There's so many great things to like about Iggy. Watching the Wings play against him though, when the flames were losing I did get sick of him trying the crap you expect of guys like Perry. Like chasing Schneider down the ice crosschecking him in the back, trying to get him to fight.

I can't see him coming to Detroit, but I'd absolutely love to have him here. Something tells me once he got out of Calgary and away from coaches like the Sutters and Keenan, he'll feel less obligated to start that crap and instead be more of the player he is. One who can score, pass, hit, and drop the gloves. He's asked to do too much on the Flames. Or feels obligated to. Either way, it'd probably be good for his career to go somewhere else rather than trying to carry that team season after season.

Agreed - would love to see him in a Red Wings sweater, but I seriously doubt it'll ever happen.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#43 oldredbarnman

oldredbarnman

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Yzerman's name came up over the weekend, I think it was on HNIC on Saturday, but I can't remember.

Yes, you are correct. Scott Morrison mentioned that Calgary could possibly bring in Bob Nicholson and Steve Yzerman to run the club, with Steve being the G.M. Morrison also said that it was because of the success they had with team Canada, and was only a possibility.

#44 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yes, you are correct. Scott Morrison mentioned that Calgary could possibly bring in Bob Nicholson and Steve Yzerman to run the club, with Steve being the G.M. Morrison also said that it was because of the success they had with team Canada, and was only a possibility.

Yzerman's only claim to GM fame is selecting the best Canadian players. He hasn't been in charge of drafting, contract negotiations, ect.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#45 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

Yzerman's only claim to GM fame is selecting the best Canadian players. He hasn't been in charge of drafting, contract negotiations, ect.

I wonder what he's like as a negotiator. Stevie thinks I should take X amount of dollars? Oh, well, I feel like I can get more but since Stevie said so then ok.

#46 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

I have disliked the Flames my entire life, but if Stevie was running the place I would be a die hard Flame fan. I cant wait until he lands his job as GM somewhere.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

That and seeing first hand how the best GM in hockey performs the job.

I'd say it doesn't get much better for a person trying to get his first GM oppurtunity.

#48 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

He's the face of the franchise, a local hero, and arguably the most well-loved and greatest player in the history of the organization. He's an excellent scorer, he plays physically, and he in general works hard every game.

The front office would be lynched by the fanbase were they to let him go. I can't see it ever happening. I predict he'll stay in Calgary until he retires; his jersey will be retired in short order after that.

A lot of the fan base seems to want him gone. It wouldn't be the first time Calgary traded away their captain. I think Lanny and Conroy are the only guys who weren't traded during their tenure. We're used to it by now.

#49 godwings19

godwings19

YZERMAN IS GOD

• 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:02 AM

Yzerman's name came up over the weekend, I think it was on HNIC on Saturday, but I can't remember.

for some reason CBC thinks yzerman is leaving the wings in the off season.... i dont buy it for a minute, because the wings have been loyal to him his whole career so in turn he will be loyal to them..... rumor is that several teams r interested in the services of yzerman including minny, and st louis.... cbc says so....
there will never be a better player than yzerman....

#50 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:22 AM

I'll pass. He reminds me of an aging Shanahan in the act of either he is hot or below zero.

#51 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

In the cap era Holland can't take guys like Iginla at 6 or 7 mil withoutf****** up the rest of the team. End of story.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#52 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:46 AM

Yeah, the offer as it stands is a tad low - it would most likely include some of the additional Pu Pu plater of role players and salary heavy veterens, possibly a draft pick or two.

The key point of it was - those would be the principal pieces of the trade, the Flames would be inticed by a top flight power forward prospect and the Penguins would land an elite scoring winger with about - 3 years left of top quality play.

No way. The deal would have to much sweeter for Calgary.
Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#53 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

for some reason CBC thinks yzerman is leaving the wings in the off season.... i dont buy it for a minute, because the wings have been loyal to him his whole career so in turn he will be loyal to them..... rumor is that several teams r interested in the services of yzerman including minny, and st louis.... cbc says so....

Yzerman to St. Louis? :lol:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,578 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

It would be surprising if he left Detroit to run another franchise. I'm pretty sure he does want to be GM one day. But I could see Lidstrom retiring, Holland retiring, and Yzerman becoming GM with Holland in a Scotty Bowman like advisory capacity.

My only hope is that if Stevie does one day take over the Wings, he doesn't suck. He's had a lot of talented guys to learn from, but being a great hockey player does not necessarily translate to being a great GM. I think sometimes it can actually work against you because you don't have a dispassionate stance towards players and the game.

#55 T-bone

T-bone

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

No thanks! This team doesn't need a poor loser. Although it would be funny when we played Pittsburg, to see who could land more cheap shots after the game has been decided, Iginla or Crosby.

#56 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

There's so many great things to like about Iggy. Watching the Wings play against him though, when the flames were losing I did get sick of him trying the crap you expect of guys like Perry. Like chasing Schneider down the ice crosschecking him in the back, trying to get him to fight.

I can't see him coming to Detroit, but I'd absolutely love to have him here. Something tells me once he got out of Calgary and away from coaches like the Sutters and Keenan, he'll feel less obligated to start that crap and instead be more of the player he is. One who can score, pass, hit, and drop the gloves. He's asked to do too much on the Flames. Or feels obligated to. Either way, it'd probably be good for his career to go somewhere else rather than trying to carry that team season after season.

Ah, Harold, I've missed you.

You make a very valid point. He might very well change his ways being in a different environment, i.e. Chris Chelios. Now I need to scrub my mouth out with soap. ewwww.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,578 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

Ah, Harold, I've missed you.

You make a very valid point. He might very well change his ways being in a different environment, i.e. Chris Chelios. Now I need to scrub my mouth out with soap. ewwww.

I figured I'd pop in from time to time. Though I'm still getting used to the new point system. Like my post about Yzerman being GM of the Wings apparently warranted a -1? I guess because I even brought up the possibility he wouldn't be great?