• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikl657

Can the wings afford howard?

Rate this topic

I was thinking the other day, if howard makes a deep run in the playoffs, wins the calder, and produces simlar numbers next year, you guys think we will be able to afford him when it comes time to resign him?

I think Howard would take a necessary discount to stay here if he needed to. Assuming he keeps up this kind of play, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would ditch this organization that's spent so much developing him and putting their trust in him for some extra money.

I think Howard would take a necessary discount to stay here if he needed to. Assuming he keeps up this kind of play, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would ditch this organization that's spent so much developing him and putting their trust in him for some extra money.

lets sign him to a 15 year contract? lol

I could see Holland using some of the money that will come of Lids' next contract (if it comes) to lock down Howard, assuming next year is as good/better than this year. We also have Larsson and McCollum developing in the minors, so it will be interesting to see how Holland manages the three of them.

Assuming that he's not a one year wonder, they'll pay whatever they need to short of some obscene amount. This guy has been touted through the organization forever as their goaltender of the future. If he pans out, there's no way the Wings would dump someone who they've spent so many years developing.

There's a lot of places the money could come from, one of them being Lidstrom. I believe Howard is signed next year, so we're talking about in two years. There should be some extra money.

The name Jim Carey comes to mind...And no - I don't mean the comedian/actor.

Agreed. But that's why I'm glad of three things about this situation:

1. Howard isn't up for until next summer-- he'll have to do just as well next year.

2. Howard will be an RFA (I believe)

3. Ken Holland is the best GM in the NHL.

Agreed. But that's why I'm glad of three things about this situation:

1. Howard isn't up for until next summer-- he'll have to do just as well next year.

2. Howard will be an RFA (I believe)

3. Ken Holland is the best GM in the NHL.

Howard will be a UFA after next season.

The name Jim Carey comes to mind...And no - I don't mean the comedian/actor.

thing is that jim carey was a one year wonder... look what happened to him when he got the big contract... the money for howard will come when lidstrom and rafalski retire...

Edited by godwings19

Howard will be a UFA after next season.

Ouch.

Well if he has a measurably good playoffs this spring and puts up good numbers next year then he'll be re-signed accordingly.

IMO, this would be a nice problem to be facing in one year's time. It would mean that Jimmy has 100% established himself.

He's gotta continue to play as good as he is thru the playoffs, and throughout next season if Howard's gonna get a decent raise...We don't need to be Chicago part deux with an overpaid/worthless netminder on the Red Wings payroll.

It's all a bit of crapshoot. If you wait too long and he does prove himself in playoffs AND next season, then you'll have to up the ante. If you offer him something after this season and you think the kid's got what it takes, you may get a Ozzie like (younger days) goalie for under market value and spend more on your D and forwards. So, what's it going to be?

The Wings have a great history of signing their RFA's and young UFA's to great semi-long/ long term deals that pan out. I think that whatever Holland chooses is the right move.

He won't get much

I guess the guy is already very happy that the Wings made him a #1 goaltender.

Last offseason instead of Bertuzzi / Williams we could have taken another Conklin... We gave the guy a chance.

Last offseason instead of Bertuzzi / Williams we could have taken another Conklin... We gave the guy a chance.

I'm hoping this is as true in his mind as it is in ours. He did spend years upon years in our development system, finally got his shot and took advantage of it like a stud. This is pure speculation, but I have to imagine that he's happy to be in Detroit given his trajectory. As our "goalie of the future" for so many years in GR, I'm fairly certain he could've raised a big enough stink by age 25 to get traded had he really wanted to. Another year like this, and he'll be due a hefty raise, but, given the speculation above, I don't anticipate hotly contested negotiations. I'm hoping he'll get the lowish end of his market value and not dicker...which will still be a heck of a lot more than Ozzy has made recently, but likely worth it if he avoids the sophomore slump.

He will stay but Holland isnt going to low ball him either they both know about the Cap situation here in the D, plus im sure Howard has alot of friends on this team being here for so long already.

750k id offer him 6.5mill/3yrs 2.16mill a season or something. thats if they go short term with him. but you never know Kenny like throwing these long term deals out to.

how about a 7 year deal, lock him up until hes 33, which i wouldn't mind ive always liked Howard and even more now because of this season and i think he is only going to get better.

7yrs/24.5mill/3.5 per season

seems like alot from his 750k but im sure if he has this type of season next year alot of teams would be willing to offer even more. With or goalie struggles lately it seems we have found a answer in Howie

this is if he is a RFA not sure if he is or isnt

Edited by king_malice

He will stay but Holland isnt going to low ball him either they both know about the Cap situation here in the D, plus im sure Howard has alot of friends on this team being here for so long already.

750k id offer him 6.5mill/3yrs 2.16mill a season or something. thats if they go short term with him. but you never know Kenny like throwing these long term deals out to.

how about a 7 year deal, lock him up until hes 33, which i wouldn't mind ive always liked Howard and even more now because of this season and i think he is only going to get better.

7yrs/24.5mill/3.5 per season

seems like alot from his 750k but im sure if he has this type of season next year alot of teams would be willing to offer even more. With or goalie struggles lately it seems we have found a answer in Howie

this is if he is a RFA not sure if he is or isnt

7 years is a very, very, very long time to lock any goalie up. It's even more dangerous if the goalie has only two years of NHL work to base your decision on. At 3.5 million it'd be impossible to move him unless he was putting up true #1 goalie numbers. If you're going to commit to a goalie for that long of a term with such a small body of evidence you better get a better deal than that or have some very confident talent analysis done.

I like your short-term deal better based on where Howie is now. If he plays like he is now for the next year I'd be far more confident paying him more and/or giving a longer term.

I hope he respects the fact that the staff believed in him and gave him this chance to be what he is right now. Who wouldn't wanna play here for a small discount?

edit: AND yes, I wouldn't probably lock him up long-term, unless he puts up the same numbers next season. Howard wasn't a top prospect like Rask and Mason. I think we'll have to see if he's just overachieving this season.

Edited by Finnish Wing