• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Am I the only one who thinks there could be a good chance we see Ozzie in net tomorrow against the Oilers? I'd love to see Babcock continue to start Howard while he's on a hot streak, but with only a handfull of games left and Babcock's quotes about Ozzie seeing playing time before the season ends, I think we might see Osgood starting tomorrow.

The implications of this could be puzzling. If Ozzie comes out and somehow realizes that this is his best chance to become a playoff staple again and really shines, do you think we could see Ozzie starting more games to close out the season or even become the starting goaltender in the playoffs?

More importantly, considering what Osgood's done the past two playoffs, is it a foregone conclusion that Howard's the starting goaltender come the playoffs? I think we've seen a changing of the guard in Detroit this year and I'm ecstatic to see Howard playing so well. I just feel like he's much quicker on his lateral movements and gives the team the best chance to win now, but we also saw Ty Conklin really shine last year in the regular season, only to be surpassed by Osgood in April.

#2 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:04 PM

I like your reasoning behind it, but to me there is absolutely no chance.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Howard played every game from here on out despite Babcock's earlier claims that Ozzie would start again this season.

Edited by GoWings1905, 29 March 2010 - 01:05 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#3 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

According to MLive, Howard is getting the start.

Jimmy Howard will make his 23rd consecutive start in goal against the Oilers, who have the worst record in the NHL but are 3-0 vs. the Red Wings, winning 4-1 in Detroit and twice in shootouts in Edmonton, 6-5 and 3-2.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#4 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Osgood - Conklin shared time last season, so Ozzie still had the reigns. It's clear that Howard is the starter, and as far as I'm concerned should play against the Oilers to keep in rhythm. Maybe see Osgood against the Blue Jackets. Just the way Howard's been playing, it's tough to find the right game for giving him a break.

#5 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

I like your reasoning behind it, but to me there is absolutely no chance.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Howard played every game from here on out despite Babcock's earlier claims that Ozzie would start again this season.

I'm all for that, but visions of Steve Mason keep coming to mind. The playoffs are a different animal and Osgood can't seem to turn it on mentally until April and we all know what happens when he does.

According to MLive, Howard is getting the start.

My apologies -- Should've checked MLive beforehand. The Blue Jackets come to town Thursday and another series of back-to-back games this weekend. I just don't want Howard to become the next Kiprusoff and be exhausted even more come the playoffs.

#6 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Howard is a rookie proving himself that he belongs, there is no way he will get exhausted, he just turned 26.. no problems.

#7 Paul MacLean's Mustache

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Howard is a rookie proving himself that he belongs, there is no way he will get exhausted, he just turned 26.. no problems.

Should he start both games Saturday AND Sunday though with the playoffs becoming close to a certainty? I certainly think he needs to be in net against Nashville because we need the points against them, but no matter the age, that HAS to be tough on someone.

#8 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

I'm all for that, but visions of Steve Mason keep coming to mind. The playoffs are a different animal and Osgood can't seem to turn it on mentally until April and we all know what happens when he does.

My apologies -- Should've checked MLive beforehand. The Blue Jackets come to town Thursday and another series of back-to-back games this weekend. I just don't want Howard to become the next Kiprusoff and be exhausted even more come the playoffs.

I'd like to see Ozzie get at least 1 more start before the regular season ends. Ideally, that would come during one of the last two meetings with Columbus.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#9 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

Ozzy will not be the starter in the playoffs, no matter what... The only way Ozzy will see anytime in the playoffs is if Howard messes up big time, and I mean really big time, or he gets hurt.

#10 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

Not this crap again. C'mon.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#11 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

If it aint broke don't fix it!

#12 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

I am sure the only way Ozzie is gonna start a game is when the Wings clinch a playoff spot.

#13 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

Based on what Babcock said the other day, Osgood is about the fourth most likely Wings goaltender to see a start the rest of the regular season.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#14 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

I imagine Osgood gets one start, just to give Jimmy a break. I too thought it may come against the Oil but perhaps against Columbus instead. Holland was on the Fan 590 in Toronto and he stated that the team would like to get Ozzie some playing time, one or two games before the playoffs but then he also said its hard not to start jimmy when he is playing so well. These comments came when we were tied with Calgary but man, if something happens to Howard (injury ect) we cant go in with a guy who hasnt started a game in 2 months
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#15 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

As Soon as (or if they do) lock up a playoff spot and they can't go up or down.... He starts, NOT till Howard s***s the bed from there on out tho!

#16 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Am I the only one who thinks there could be a good chance we see Ozzie in net tomorrow against the Oilers? I'd love to see Babcock continue to start Howard while he's on a hot streak, but with only a handfull of games left and Babcock's quotes about Ozzie seeing playing time before the season ends, I think we might see Osgood starting tomorrow.

The implications of this could be puzzling. If Ozzie comes out and somehow realizes that this is his best chance to become a playoff staple again and really shines, do you think we could see Ozzie starting more games to close out the season or even become the starting goaltender in the playoffs?

More importantly, considering what Osgood's done the past two playoffs, is it a foregone conclusion that Howard's the starting goaltender come the playoffs? I think we've seen a changing of the guard in Detroit this year and I'm ecstatic to see Howard playing so well. I just feel like he's much quicker on his lateral movements and gives the team the best chance to win now, but we also saw Ty Conklin really shine last year in the regular season, only to be surpassed by Osgood in April.

What Babcock quote are you referring to?

#17 MannyK

MannyK

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Location:Brookline, MA (formerly Clinton Township / Ann Arbor, MI)

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

What Babcock quote are you referring to?

The quote is from here, on March 14. http://www.macombdai...85086425065.txt

Osgood will start again

Babcock met with backup goalie Chris Osgood on Wednesday and informed him he would be starting sometime before the season ends.

I told him he was going to get an opportunity coming up and just make sure hes ready for it, Babcock said. Hes battled hard in practice and thats all you can do.

Jimmy Howard made his season-high 14th straight on Thursday against Minnesota.

Hes done a real good job supporting (Howard), Babcock said. No veteran player is ever happy not playing. In saying all that hes been a good pro and is helping our team. Thats all you can ask for.

Let's Go Wings!

#18 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

I think Ozzy will get the start in Philly next week. I'd like to think Jimmy will get a rest after playing all these games, since we're not playing a conference opponent, and we're playing an early game on the road. I'd put my money on Ozzy making his last start on this game.

#19 godwings19

godwings19

YZERMAN IS GOD

• 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

ozzie needs to retire.... howard is the man till he f's up....
there will never be a better player than yzerman....

#20 TheUkrainian

TheUkrainian

The Ukrainian One

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:59 AM

ozzie needs to retire.... howard is the man till he f's up....

Retire? lol. Cause we have a plethora of NHL ready goalies just waiting to be called up. I'm a huge Ozzie fan, but Jimmy is the hot goalie right now. Doesn't mean that Ozzie is useless to the team. I'm sure he's had a huge role in helping Howard become more NHL ready in several ways this year.
Wish List: Stanley Cup!
100% pure Ukranian