• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Ozzie vs. Edmonton?

Rate this topic

Am I the only one who thinks there could be a good chance we see Ozzie in net tomorrow against the Oilers? I'd love to see Babcock continue to start Howard while he's on a hot streak, but with only a handfull of games left and Babcock's quotes about Ozzie seeing playing time before the season ends, I think we might see Osgood starting tomorrow.

The implications of this could be puzzling. If Ozzie comes out and somehow realizes that this is his best chance to become a playoff staple again and really shines, do you think we could see Ozzie starting more games to close out the season or even become the starting goaltender in the playoffs?

More importantly, considering what Osgood's done the past two playoffs, is it a foregone conclusion that Howard's the starting goaltender come the playoffs? I think we've seen a changing of the guard in Detroit this year and I'm ecstatic to see Howard playing so well. I just feel like he's much quicker on his lateral movements and gives the team the best chance to win now, but we also saw Ty Conklin really shine last year in the regular season, only to be surpassed by Osgood in April.

I like your reasoning behind it, but to me there is absolutely no chance.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Howard played every game from here on out despite Babcock's earlier claims that Ozzie would start again this season.

Edited by GoWings1905

Osgood - Conklin shared time last season, so Ozzie still had the reigns. It's clear that Howard is the starter, and as far as I'm concerned should play against the Oilers to keep in rhythm. Maybe see Osgood against the Blue Jackets. Just the way Howard's been playing, it's tough to find the right game for giving him a break.

I like your reasoning behind it, but to me there is absolutely no chance.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Howard played every game from here on out despite Babcock's earlier claims that Ozzie would start again this season.

I'm all for that, but visions of Steve Mason keep coming to mind. The playoffs are a different animal and Osgood can't seem to turn it on mentally until April and we all know what happens when he does.

According to MLive, Howard is getting the start.

My apologies -- Should've checked MLive beforehand. The Blue Jackets come to town Thursday and another series of back-to-back games this weekend. I just don't want Howard to become the next Kiprusoff and be exhausted even more come the playoffs.

Guest mindfly

Howard is a rookie proving himself that he belongs, there is no way he will get exhausted, he just turned 26.. no problems.

Howard is a rookie proving himself that he belongs, there is no way he will get exhausted, he just turned 26.. no problems.

Should he start both games Saturday AND Sunday though with the playoffs becoming close to a certainty? I certainly think he needs to be in net against Nashville because we need the points against them, but no matter the age, that HAS to be tough on someone.

I'm all for that, but visions of Steve Mason keep coming to mind. The playoffs are a different animal and Osgood can't seem to turn it on mentally until April and we all know what happens when he does.

My apologies -- Should've checked MLive beforehand. The Blue Jackets come to town Thursday and another series of back-to-back games this weekend. I just don't want Howard to become the next Kiprusoff and be exhausted even more come the playoffs.

I'd like to see Ozzie get at least 1 more start before the regular season ends. Ideally, that would come during one of the last two meetings with Columbus.

I imagine Osgood gets one start, just to give Jimmy a break. I too thought it may come against the Oil but perhaps against Columbus instead. Holland was on the Fan 590 in Toronto and he stated that the team would like to get Ozzie some playing time, one or two games before the playoffs but then he also said its hard not to start jimmy when he is playing so well. These comments came when we were tied with Calgary but man, if something happens to Howard (injury ect) we cant go in with a guy who hasnt started a game in 2 months

Am I the only one who thinks there could be a good chance we see Ozzie in net tomorrow against the Oilers? I'd love to see Babcock continue to start Howard while he's on a hot streak, but with only a handfull of games left and Babcock's quotes about Ozzie seeing playing time before the season ends, I think we might see Osgood starting tomorrow.

The implications of this could be puzzling. If Ozzie comes out and somehow realizes that this is his best chance to become a playoff staple again and really shines, do you think we could see Ozzie starting more games to close out the season or even become the starting goaltender in the playoffs?

More importantly, considering what Osgood's done the past two playoffs, is it a foregone conclusion that Howard's the starting goaltender come the playoffs? I think we've seen a changing of the guard in Detroit this year and I'm ecstatic to see Howard playing so well. I just feel like he's much quicker on his lateral movements and gives the team the best chance to win now, but we also saw Ty Conklin really shine last year in the regular season, only to be surpassed by Osgood in April.

What Babcock quote are you referring to?

What Babcock quote are you referring to?

The quote is from here, on March 14. http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/2010/03/12/sports/doc4b999260cd985086425065.txt

Osgood will start again

Babcock met with backup goalie Chris Osgood on Wednesday and informed him he would be starting sometime before the season ends.

“I told him he was going to get an opportunity coming up and just make sure he’s ready for it,” Babcock said. “He’s battled hard in practice and that’s all you can do.”

Jimmy Howard made his season-high 14th straight on Thursday against Minnesota.

“He’s done a real good job supporting (Howard),” Babcock said. “No veteran player is ever happy not playing. In saying all that he’s been a good pro and is helping our team. That’s all you can ask for.”

I think Ozzy will get the start in Philly next week. I'd like to think Jimmy will get a rest after playing all these games, since we're not playing a conference opponent, and we're playing an early game on the road. I'd put my money on Ozzy making his last start on this game.

ozzie needs to retire.... howard is the man till he f's up....

Retire? lol. Cause we have a plethora of NHL ready goalies just waiting to be called up. I'm a huge Ozzie fan, but Jimmy is the hot goalie right now. Doesn't mean that Ozzie is useless to the team. I'm sure he's had a huge role in helping Howard become more NHL ready in several ways this year.

Am I the only one who thinks there could be a good chance we see Ozzie in net tomorrow against the Oilers?

...do you think we could see Ozzie starting more games to close out the season or even become the starting goaltender in the playoffs?

...is it a foregone conclusion that Howard's the starting goaltender come the playoffs?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

ozzie needs to retire.... howard is the man till he f's up....

Howard's definitely the guy right now and it's all but apparent that he'll be starting in the playoffs, assuming the Wings get in, but that doesn't mean Osgood should retire. He certainly has more wins in him and is still capable. Red Wings right now are in an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode with goaltending right now which is perfectly fine with me given that they've had to scrap for points and a playoff spot hasn't been wrapped up early like they have typically done.