• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheOctopusKid

Oh How I Hate the Capitals

Rate this topic

I find it incredibly entertaining that folks who post on forums think that their opinion is any more valid, or matter more than anyone else's. Some of the logic folks come up with to prop up their views, or tear differing opinions down is comical to me. Get mad. Post in anger. Free Willie. Go flamers.

Ok... :huh:

Guest Shoreline
Seriously, your experience in Washington is the rule of fans across the country, for every team out there. They have new fans because they are a new powerhouse and as a Wings fan you should be able to sympathize considering the amount of bandwagoning for the Wings in the 90s.

Yep, this much is true. Sorry OP but maybe that area just isn't for you, given the vitriol you've spat not only about the team and it's recent years, but the fans and people. I run into fans as described in San Jose, but idiots are something to expect in society in general, not just in DC. Plus, the bandwagoning thing for the Wings is absolutely correct, particularly the late 90s. OP needs a bit of fresh air and to relax.

Edited by Shoreline

Octopus, you really need to calm down about it, because every fanbase has what you describe. I've heard Wings fans talk about the same bulls*** that you accuse the Caps fans of doing it, and it is even worse for us because of the sense of entitlement some Wings fans have. If they aren't winning they are either playing like crap or there is something going against them. That doesn't make Wings fans in general whining, entitled, snobs who only think the world revolves around them.

Seriously, your experience in Washington is the rule of fans across the country, for every team out there. They have new fans because they are a new powerhouse and as a Wings fan you should be able to sympathize considering the amount of bandwagoning for the Wings in the 90s.

Well where I am from everybody hated the Wings because of there success. Nobody jumped on the bandwagon unless it was the hate wagon.

Where are you from?

North Western Ontario. There was me and my dad and my buddy James. Only Red Wings fans within miles, as far as I knew. Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit but really everyone seemed to hate the Wings for their success. Most people are a fan of an original 6 team,the Oilers or the Flyers(minus the Rangers and the Wings). Everybody was jealous of the Wings.

Edited by zettie85

Wait. So you are upset at the Capitals for playing like an Eastern team, accuse the fans of being bandwagon fans after Ovie shows up, being completely biased in their favor, and think their team is the best?

So... why do you like hockey at all?

Wait. So you are upset at the Capitals for playing like an Eastern team, accuse the fans of being bandwagon fans after Ovie shows up, being completely biased in their favor, and think their team is the best?

So... why do you like hockey at all?

You are a fan through thick and thin. Not just thick. We have been extremely lucky to be so good but this team could win 1 game a year and I would still watch every game. I would ***** and moan but I would watch every game.

I've got to say, everyone around here (Edmonton) jumped on the hate wagon for the Wings too.

As far as the Caps, I wouldn't really consider myself a fan, but I'd like them to stick around for a bit in the playoffs. They play a unique style that's exciting to watch, so it makes for some better playoff hockey. It's nice to see a team that never really traps (whether it's because they really don't know how or they choose not to is irrelevant).

Personally, I'd be pissed if my team couldn't play defense to save their lives, but it's a nice break from the typical games.

Edited by Zetts

You are a fan through thick and thin. Not just thick. We have been extremely lucky to be so good but this team could win 1 game a year and I would still watch every game. I would ***** and moan but I would watch every game.

True, and I would do the same. But what I said is what I think is unavoidable when it comes to every hockey team.

Ya, basically. You are bound to lose fans when you suck.

I still don't get why the Joe is always so empty though. It's really pathetic that those seats aren't filled even when they call it a sell out. Is it really that much of a pain in the ass to go to games?

Guest mindfly

Don't know if it's been posted but Umberger is pretty spot on with this:

BLUE JACKETS' UMBERGER: 'CAPS PLAY THE WRONG WAY'

Although the Washington Capitals have all but secured the Presidents' Trophy as the NHL's top team, there is at least one player who does not believe they have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup.

Columbus Blue Jackets' forward R.J. Umberger was surprisingly critical of the Caps playoff chances in an interview with the Columbus Dispatch following the Blue Jackets loss to Washington on Saturday.

"I don't think any team in the West would be overmatched by them," Umberger told the Dispatch. "They play the wrong way. They want to be moving all the time. They float around in their zone, looking for breakaways and odd-man rushes.

"A good defensive team is going to beat them (in the playoffs). If you eliminate your turnovers and keep them off the power play, they're going to get frustrated because they're in their zone a lot."

The Capitals sit at 114 points entering play on Sunday, some 17 points ahead of their nearest competitors in the East, the New Jersey Devils and Pittsburgh Penguins. The San Jose Sharks are second in the NHL with 106 points.

My hatred towards the Washington Capitals organization and its ensuing fan base has reached a level of hysterical, blinding rage and I have nowhere else to turn. I apologize for the length of this post and its general topic but I needed some type of outlet to vent my frustration and I thought who better than the LGW community? I need to be talked down before I have a brain aneurysm or I tackle the Caps fan and choke them with my throwback inspired hooded Red Wings sweatshirt.

For those who have read my posts in the past, I have always made an effort to maintain some level of objectivity and positivity as forums have a tendency to skew towards the fantastical and infighting. I desperately tried to grant the benefit of the doubt, justified behavior, and continually made excuses however, at three years of a constant barrage of inanity, I must admit that I can no longer stand idly by and hold my tongue – I, the Octopus Kid am a Caps Hater.

I moved to Washington DC over three years ago and immediately starved by the absence of my Red Wings turned towards the Washington Capitals as a way to satiate my need for hockey. The Capitals had just come off an disappointing last place finish from the 2007 season but there was a glimmer of hope as they had a young and promising core of players: Alexander Semin, Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom, and of course Alex Ovechkin. Also, Sergei Federov – it felt like seeing an old friend from high school and being pleasantly surprised that they had matured, grown and developed into a reasonably interesting person. I was immediately drawn to this team. They were young, exciting, and bursting potential with a wide eyed earnest of rookies with no direction, learning the difficult lessons from an unforgiving league.

The Verizon was also an incredible experience. Small and intimate by modern arena standards, it sits in the middle of Chinatown and gives a very “tall” experience as the building is steep since the city was constrained by a city block in width. Ted Leonsis, the owner, was in attendance of every game and gave off a jovial and excited presence in his sport coats and red sweater vest; much like a Corporate Santa Claus. He placed an incredible emphasis on the “fan experience” as his team struggle to be competitive the previous season and tried to produce fan friendly environment: games, impressive introductions, over the top production, lights, sounds, marketing, and giveaways.

The crowd was relatively sparse but as the Capitals continued to climb the standings, so did the attendance. More and more fans piled into the arena with families and friends, and were like the players – new to the league, the rules, the traditions, the opposing players, and I found them to be earnest and sincere in their questions: “Why is that a penalty?”, “Who is that goaltender?”, “What teams are in the Southeast division?”. Pretty basic, but it seemed as if hockey fever was growing in Washington and I was excited to bear witness to it.

I thought myself to be lucky – but things turned ugly rather quickly.

The Capitals made their first recent day playoff appearance that year and quickly fell into a large deficit to the much more experienced and aggressive Flyers that year. The team looked completely unprepared for the drastic increase in physical play and amped intensity. Suddenly the picture perfect shooting opportunities disappeared and everyone seems to be finishing their checks. Every inch of the ice was earned and the Capitals were punched in the mouth. By the time they figured it out, it was too late and they were sent home in a first round upset.

I chuckled to myself – reminded of the early playoff appearances of the Red Wings and how they were forced to adjust their style of play, to stop trading chances and learn to commit to two-way hockey. Offense becomes a luxury but effort and defense still reigned supreme. This was a great season and the Capitals learned a valuable lesson – Offense wins game, but Defense wins championships. I was excited to see them take what they learned and really learn the finer subtleties.

The Capitals response was to add goalie Jose Theodore to their roster which goaltender was a concern last season however it was still the overall team’s refusal or denial to play defensive minded hockey. I’ll be the first to admit that a young team which offensive talent takes time to learn the necessity of defensive hockey and at times it takes an experienced voice of a proven veteran or coach (Scotty Bowman to Steve Yzerman) to catalyze the change. I thought Boudreau was a “player’s” coach and would not instill the discipline to the squad that they required and was nothing more than a stopgap for them to find a more experienced hand to shape the young team. Instead they ownership awarded Boudreau full control of the team and an extension.

The team responded in kind and stressed offense above all else. Still there were no signs of defensive commitment and they persisted to trade chances. Shaking my head, I knew the evitable result. Once the playoffs began, the Capitals found themselves on their back heels once again and failed to increase their focus and efforts to respond to the intensity of the playoffs. The Capitals were saved by the discovery of a Varlomov. And I know this will resonant with many of you, but is there anything more frightening than a first year goaltender who suddenly finds his confidence in the playoffs? There might be nothing more devastating to a team than a complete unknown who is playing better than anyone thought possible to wreck the confidence of their opponent – the more you shot, the more he grows in confidence – the more saves he makes – the more the opponent tries to do more with the puck to beat him – the more they miss – the better he gets. I felt for the Flyers and the Pens are they struggled to find a way to break this unknown and remembered all of the “great unknown goaltenders” that the Wings encountered only to have that goaltender slump back to mediocrity the next year.

At the end of the day, the Capitals sat a watched their opponents shot at their goaltender with no attempt to pressure the shooter, play defensive hockey, and learn from their past mistakes. They took all the wrong lessons.

I thought that they would be the Detroit Red Wings of old. High flying offensive players learn the value of defense and hard work: only through sweat and dedication can you win a cup, not through flashing offense that dominated the early years of Yzerman’s career. Instead they went backwards. You could see the confidence in their offensive abilities began to digress into arrogance. They were above playing defense because they could score more goals than the other team. All of this would be fine – let bygones be bygones as I found myself no longer cheering for what appeared to be a disinterested, defensively lazy, and arrogant team.

These – we’re the exact opposite of the Red Wings. The hardworking, gritty mindset that would become the trademark of past Cup Champions: Devils, Colorado, Detroit – was lost on this young Capitals team and instead they took the easy, flashy path of the 2005 Ottawa Senators, the 2006 Buffalo Sabres, the late 90’s Rangers – offense over all other things.

The Capitals were no longer a team I wished really to follow other than tangentially. I would go to their games to see other visiting squads and players that I liked to see – or root against. And this is where my true hatred for the Capitals was discovered.

More to follow:

I love the caps,Ovi is the best player in the league hands down

Would that hatred reach new levels if the offensive Green wins the Norris?

Mine would. Though I guess I currently don't hate the Caps.

I just think Green is overrated in regards to Norris talk, and honestly seems like a douchebag, which just makes him winning it even worse.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Mine would. Though I guess I currently don't hate the Caps.

I just think Green is overrated in regards to Norris talk, and honestly seems like a douchebag, which just makes him winning it even worse.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Also, either Backstrom or Semin (can't remember which one) getting cocky about money in the offseason didn't help.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that we, or any team is bandwagon-free, it just seems like that is a much bigger portion of the fan base for the Capitals. No one wore Caps gear around town before 2008, they didn't even really in 1998 when they made it to the Cup finals. lol and then I got s*** talked the whole ride home on the Metro from the January Wings game about how 1) the Red Wings were definitely not making the playoffs and 2) the Capitals were definitely winning the Cup. I just had to chuckle.

I still love going to games and sitting in entire sections of Ovie sweaters.

It is like that because the Capitals have never really done anything and they have only been around since 1974. Add to that the fact that they play in the South, in a non-traditional hockey market. Not very appealing is it?

They are not like the Redwings who have been around for 84 years and won 11 Stanley Cups. Many of us are fans b/c our parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents were fans. Outside of the original six markets, you will be hard pressed to find such fans.