102 replies to this topic

#41 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

AT BEING BAD

I think that Carman's healthy scratch and the McCrimmon pep talk have definitely done him some good. Although he has had a couple bonehead plays tonight, they haven't been game changing. Remember, this is a tough Caps thread he is up against tonight. Bad habits don't disappear overnight, and this is a step in the right direction. Atta boy!

Edited by kook_10, 29 March 2010 - 09:41 PM.

works every time

#42 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

Have no idea where the poster is coming from.

Red Wings fans can make a great case for hating the Penguins. But I find little fault with the Caps. In fact, if the Wings don't win the Cup - I'd just assume the Caps take it home. I like their coach and think Ovie>>>>Sid.

There are far more teams I would put on my "dislike" list than the Caps.

The only thing that might rile up some bad feelings vs. the Caps will be a final series between the Wings-Caps. Let's hope one of these days soon....
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#43 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:45 PM

I think that Carman's healthy scratch and the McCrimmon pep talk have definitely done him some good. Although he has had a couple bonehead plays tonight, they haven't been game changing. Remember, this is a tough Caps thread he is up against tonight. Bad habits don't disappear overnight, and this is a step in the right direction. Atta boy!

What can I say.

It's easy to improve when my inspiration in life is Sidney Crosby.

#44 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

Have no idea where the poster is coming from.

Red Wings fans can make a great case for hating the Penguins. But I find little fault with the Caps. In fact, if the Wings don't win the Cup - I'd just assume the Caps take it home. I like their coach and think Ovie>>>>Sid.

There are far more teams I would put on my "dislike" list than the Caps.

The only thing that might rile up some bad feelings vs. the Caps will be a final series between the Wings-Caps. Let's hope one of these days soon....

Maybe the portion of his thread title with the "I" in it could be a clue? ("Oh How I Hate the Capitals")

He's not asking you to share his feelings, only sharing his own (and well, I might add).
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#45 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

I actually like watching the Caps play now. If there isn't a Wings game on, I'll usually see if the Caps are playing. They're a really talented team that's fun to watch. That doesn't mean I necessarily like them or root for them, I just appreciate an entertaining team. And hey, at least they aren't Pittsburgh.

#46 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

What can I say.

:lol: I have actually found your last couple comments to be rather enjoyable :clap: I also think its pretty funny how you don't even have to bring up Crosby in the threads anymore, people associate you with Crosby no matter what you post about, classical conditioning at its finest, Pavlov would be proud!
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#47 finalfilppula

finalfilppula

Happy Together

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

OP: finish your thoughts!!!

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

What can I say.

You two were made for eachother :wub:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#49 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

What can I say.

You seriously need to have a Crosby+love avatar, just to draw more attention to yourself.

Would make these threads much more fun to watch.

FOUND ONE!

Posted Image

Edited by Doc Holliday, 29 March 2010 - 11:16 PM.

Posted Image

#50 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

You seriously need to have a Crosby+love avatar, just to draw more attention to yourself.

Would make these threads much more fun to watch.

FOUND ONE!

Posted Image

I found a better one.

Attached Files

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#51 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

C'mon Cindy....paint in the rest of the beard. or shave. or dye it blond. Nobody here thinks it's sexy except carman.

OT: Refreshingly disjointed thread. It's like a saga. Or an Adventure. (lookin at you echolalia)
Keep it going, I say.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#52 TheOctopusKid

TheOctopusKid

Career Journeyman

• 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Sweet Beans! How is the world did this become a Crosby thread? You stop checking the forums for half a day and your thread goes straight to hell! It was surprising that what was originally intended as cathartic venting turned towards a photoshopped picture of Crosby.

Before I continue I think I need to clarify a couple of points that seem to have driven some discontent:

I am by no means an overty aggressive and angry person. Far from it. The hyberbole of "rage" is more of general dissappointment and I suppose anger to some extent over my personal Capitals experience. What was once an incredibly fun and entertaining event has devolved into nonsense gibberish and force fed exclamation of supposed greatness. I love hockey. I believe it to be the greatest sport to watch and beyond just being a life long fan of the Red Wings for over 25 years, I can honestly say I enjoying watching the game. Period. Where a lot of my resentment over this whole experience is the fact that those new to the game here in the Metro DC area are not there because of hockey, but there for the winning. I know that seems like a very subtle distinction but it is incredibly different. The more fans that I interact (I use it in the plural), the more arrogant and ignorant they appear to be.

There is nothing wrong with Pride in your team - it's what drives us and distinguishes as fans (again in the plural). However zeal that is not tempered by knowledge leads down an ugly path.

As for "stop going or watching the games" - yes, I suppose that is an option. The Capitals coverage here is pretty substantail but I could avoid it to some extent. But what's frustrating is the fact that I have to avoid at all. Even Colorado, The Chris Pronger St Louis Blues, and the old Chelios/Roenick Era of the Hawks - I had less issue with these teams than I do with the Washington DC experience. What was once something I was genuinely excited about has grown incredibly distasteful.

Additionally, there are some games that I cannot avoid - when I said I cherry picked some of the games of teams I wanted to see - I mean, collectively my managing director has season tickets for us to use to soft sell clients - as the Capitals are a very hot commodity and afterwards, I or a colleague will often take them to dinner and the Capitals game. Hence why I have to stay generally buttoned up over the whole experience and was forced to vent here on the forum. Certainly I can ask someone else to do it - but if it's my client, it's my responsibility. The reason I know the intent of a lot of the "fans" in my section is that many of the season ticket holders are corporate wholesalers, government consultants, politicals, and lobbyists. This was not the case three years ago when the section was relatively empty and full of Petr Bonda and Adam Oates jerseys.

I have been to many other arenas throughout the league and a handful of colleges. I was fortunate in my job required me to travel a great deal and lead me to games in: New York, New Jersey, Calgary, LA, Dallas, Florida (that was weird), Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and of course Washington DC. Actually, I can say that I've seen as many away games for the Red Wings that I've seen at home. I was a partial season ticket holder for the Bruins when I lived in Boston for 6 months. And of course (Chicago poster) the crowds said a lot of things that could not be seen as favorable to the Wings. But almost in every case (Florida is still iffy, this was during the whole Rubber Rat fiasco), the fans were genuinely fans of their respective teams and had some grounding in the game, it's tradition, the rules, rosters, history, strategy, etc. So when a Chicago fan told me to "Eat s*** and Die" - I was far more comfortable with that:

1) Chicago and Detroit have a long standing rivalry and that level of familiarity breeds contempt.
2) After he told me how much he hated the Wings, he yelled and screamed at Shawn Thornton to stop forechecking like a girl (Not exactly in those words)
3) The Fan made no pretense that his team was anything but what it was - a rebuilding franchise with a smattering of old veterans and draft picks and carried no sense of entitlement - his insults were driven soley for his love of his team and his hatred of the Red Wings because you sure as hell couldn't accuse him of being there for all of his team's success (circa early 2000's - maybe 2002?).

The collective fan bases of the more established teams, albeit hostile, are knowledgable and generally passionate about their team.

In my opinion, and perhaps I wasn't explicit enough - The Capitals fan base is "hockey dumb", arrogant with no justification, and more passionate about the sense of winning than the overall Capitals team as a whole. This, combined with offensive focus, defensive lazy hockey has exacerbated the situation. Christ, it's like watching a team full of Jagr's flanked by Leino's. Sigh.

I hope that clarified my intent whether you agree with it or not. To those that doubt what I am saying - I know that it resonantes wtih some of the prior posters who do live in the DC Metro area who have parrotted almost exactly what I've said so far. Take it from the Wings fans down here, it's not pretty and I know I'm not alone on this. I don't really see the point to continue this as I feel better. I apologize that I just took an emotional dump on the forums but I feared my head would pop off. I will say that I will be watching the Capitals closely come playoff time when they square off against Boston and hope Shawn Thornton stops forechecking like a girl (not exactly in those words).

Edited by TheOctopusKid, 30 March 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#53 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

That reminds me of the LA Kings in the late 80's/early 90's. When Gretzky (and coincidentally Rollerblades)came to town, every s***head and their mother started going to games. Whereas before Gretzky the Kings maybe pulled 8000-10000 fans a game, they started packing the house after he came, and every single one of them wore a white 99 jersey. The hockey community was so small then that the only people in attendance were kids that played and their parents, and we all wore out team jackets so you would see tons of people you knew. Afterward, the Forum was packed with people in Gretzky jerseys who didn't know a thing about hockey. I remember one such person sitting behind me at a 93 Stanley Cup game asking what icing was. I enjoyed the purple and gold, but absolutely loathed the black and silver Gretzky Kings in much the same way you do the Caps.

The truth is that in many or even most US markets a star player will get a lot of newbies to the game. Us vets may not want to suffer them, but thats the price of having an Ovechkin or a Crosby or a Gretzky. The upside is that many of those new (currently hockey dumb) fans will share their love for the game with their kids, who will play. California probably has 5-8x as many teams now as there were when I played, and can consistently put together national level youth teams. So long as Ovi is around and doing what he does, the DC area will without a doubt enjoy an expansion its hockey base too. That's a good thing. Does that mean you have to like the people? No.

works every time

#54 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Sweet Beans! How is the world did this become a Crosby thread? You stop checking the forums for half a day and your thread goes straight to hell! It was surprising that what was originally intended as cathartic venting turned towards a photoshopped picture of Crosby.

Before I continue I think I need to clarify a couple of points that seem to have driven some discontent:

I am by no means an overty aggressive and angry person. Far from it. The hyberbole of "rage" is more of general dissappointment and I suppose anger to some extent over my personal Capitals experience. What was once an incredibly fun and entertaining event has devolved into nonsense gibberish and force fed exclamation of supposed greatness. I love hockey. I believe it to be the greatest sport to watch and beyond just being a life long fan of the Red Wings for over 25 years, I can honestly say I enjoying watching the game. Period. Where a lot of my resentment over this whole experience is the fact that those new to the game here in the Metro DC area are not there because of hockey, but there for the winning. I know that seems like a very subtle distinction but it is incredibly different. The more fans that I interact (I use it in the plural), the more arrogant and ignorant they appear to be.

There is nothing wrong with Pride in your team - it's what drives us and distinguishes as fans (again in the plural). However zeal that is not tempered by knowledge leads down an ugly path.

As for "stop going or watching the games" - yes, I suppose that is an option. The Capitals coverage here is pretty substantail but I could avoid it to some extent. But what's frustrating is the fact that I have to avoid at all. Even Colorado, The Chris Pronger St Louis Blues, and the old Chelios/Roenick Era of the Hawks - I had less issue with these teams than I do with the Washington DC experience. What was once something I was genuinely excited about has grown incredibly distasteful.

Additionally, there are some games that I cannot avoid - when I said I cherry picked some of the games of teams I wanted to see - I mean, collectively my managing director has season tickets for us to use to soft sell clients - as the Capitals are a very hot commodity and afterwards, I or a colleague will often take them to dinner and the Capitals game. Hence why I have to stay generally buttoned up over the whole experience and was forced to vent here on the forum. Certainly I can ask someone else to do it - but if it's my client, it's my responsibility. The reason I know the intent of a lot of the "fans" in my section is that many of the season ticket holders are corporate wholesalers, government consultants, politicals, and lobbyists. This was not the case three years ago when the section was relatively empty and full of Petr Bonda and Adam Oates jerseys.

I have been to many other arenas throughout the league and a handful of colleges. I was fortunate in my job required me to travel a great deal and lead me to games in: New York, New Jersey, Calgary, LA, Dallas, Florida (that was weird), Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and of course Washington DC. Actually, I can say that I've seen as many away games for the Red Wings that I've seen at home. I was a partial season ticket holder for the Bruins when I lived in Boston for 6 months. And of course (Chicago poster) the crowds said a lot of things that could not be seen as favorable to the Wings. But almost in every case (Florida is still iffy, this was during the whole Rubber Rat fiasco), the fans were genuinely fans of their respective teams and had some grounding in the game, it's tradition, the rules, rosters, history, strategy, etc. So when a Chicago fan told me to "Eat s*** and Die" - I was far more comfortable with that:

1) Chicago and Detroit have a long standing rivalry and that level of familiarity breeds contempt.
2) After he told me how much he hated the Wings, he yelled and screamed at Shawn Thornton to stop forechecking like a girl (Not exactly in those words)
3) The Fan made no pretense that his team was anything but what it was - a rebuilding franchise with a smattering of old veterans and draft picks and carried no sense of entitlement - his insults were driven soley for his love of his team and his hatred of the Red Wings because you sure as hell couldn't accuse him of being there for all of his team's success (circa early 2000's - maybe 2002?).

The collective fan bases of the more established teams, albeit hostile, are knowledgable and generally passionate about their team.

In my opinion, and perhaps I wasn't explicit enough - The Capitals fan base is "hockey dumb", arrogant with no justification, and more passionate about the sense of winning than the overall Capitals team as a whole. This, combined with offensive focus, defensive lazy hockey has exacerbated the situation. Christ, it's like watching a team full of Jagr's flanked by Leino's. Sigh.

I hope that clarified my intent whether you agree with it or not. To those that doubt what I am saying - I know that it resonantes wtih some of the prior posters who do live in the DC Metro area who have parrotted almost exactly what I've said so far. Take it from the Wings fans down here, it's not pretty and I know I'm not alone on this. I don't really see the point to continue this as I feel better. I apologize that I just took an emotional dump on the forums but I feared my head would pop off. I will say that I will be watching the Capitals closely come playoff time when they square off against Boston and hope Shawn Thornton stops forechecking like a girl (not exactly in those words).

Never leave your topic unattended that long.

BTW, what makes you think that photo was shopped?:)

Ok, it's been a long season and for a time it looked like we might miss the playoffs, now I'm just ready for them to start. I was just having fun with another poster and apologize for helping to hijack your thread.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#55 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

Maybe the portion of his thread title with the "I" in it could be a clue? ("Oh How I Hate the Capitals")

He's not asking you to share his feelings, only sharing his own (and well, I might add).

Well said. Whether I agree or not (and I don't have enough facts or history on which to base an opinion), the posts are fun to read and well-written.

I also agree with whoever said they hope we meet up with them in the playoffs/finals. If they do not play much of a defensive style then methinks "we" can teach 'em a thing or two.

As for the Crosby crap, PLEASE STOP. Start a new thread if you must. Thenk yew.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#56 Redwing Hokie

Redwing Hokie

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

I have to say this is one of the best posts I've seen on LGW since I joined a few months ago. As someone who spent a year working in DC and someone now getting their 2nd degree at Virginia Tech, a town littered with Northern Virginia/DC/MD suburbanite kids I wholeheartedly agree with what has happened.

The transition from knowing that there was another team playing in the same arena as the Wizards/Bullets to undeserved arrogance of the notion that the Capitals are the best team to play the game of hockey this season (actual quote will come later) is ridiculous. When I go out to Big Als, my favorite sports bar and watering hole, I always enjoy when any hockey game, even non RW games, are on. I love the sport and as someone who has been to other arenas of non-Wings rivals, I generally love talking to opposing fans about traditions, history, favorite players, experience, and their take on the modern state of the NHL. Capitals fans do not allow me this option anymore. They truly believe what they are doing is unheard of in hockey and that they are the standard of what everyone wants to be, regardless of the fact that that Stanley Cup trophy case is empty. Instead of posting another encyclopedia, I'll leave you with a few direct quotes from recent discussions with Capitals fans both in Blacksburg and at the Verizon Center in DC:

1- You just wish Detroit had what Washington has
2- We win this year and we half what, half as many Stanley Cups as Detroit in a lot less years?! (seriously)
3- (Overheard sitting next to a pair of fans in matching jerseys)Is this the greatest team in NHL history? (not at this point, not in the regular season, just ever)
4- (During Capitals-Canes game last season; I was wearing a Red Wings shirt at Verizon) Capitals fan turns in reference to recent crowd volume to say: Hey buddy don't you wish Detroit had it this good?

Stuff like this which is ridiculous and nonstop from people who didn't even know they had a team pre-Ovechkin just leads me to agree with Octopus- I hate the capitals.

#57 datsyukonethree

datsyukonethree

Damn we're sweet.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

I've got to say, I'm a little surprised by this thread. I guess I just see things differently.

In my opinion, and I watch the team a fair bit, the gung-ho offensive attitude is a product of Boudreau's system more than anything else. You make it sound like the whole team is a bunch of hooligans who have never played a lick of defensive hockey in their lives. That's just not the case. The Caps have some of the hardest working depth forwards in the league in Steckel, Bradley, Laing, Gordon, Chimera, and now Belanger. And the stars' defensive abilities are vastly underrated. Backstrom is great in his own end and Ovechkin, when he senses danger, backchecks as furiously as he does anything in the offensive zone.

Yes, Boudreau's system does emphasize offense, but it's not all lackadaisical "oh well, we'll just score another goal" as you make it out to be. The system emphasizes moving the puck forward. The farther away you are from your own goal, the better you limit your opponent's chances. As you've probably noticed, the Caps run a much more aggressive breakout than the Red Wings, and it's not because the players are all goal-hungry, it's because the system mandates a fast breakout that puts defenses on their heels and requires the opposing forwards to expend energy backchecking instead of playing offense.

Their 214 GA at the moment is third worst among all playoff-bound teams currently, which is troubling, but they have a +78 goal differential (+28 higher than the second best team) and their 109 points with seven games remaining would seem to indicate that the system is pretty damn effective given the right personnel, which they have.

So I guess if you wanna hate, hate the system, not the team. Obviously, nothing's proven until the playoffs are over, and it could wind up that Boudreau's system never sees success in the playoffs and never produces a Cup. But for now, it'd be a shame not to enjoy the most exciting team in the sport.
Pads for legs: $1500.
Glove for hand: $400.
Mask for face: $150.
Having a Slinky for a spine: priceless.

[Has been scolded by moderators for making Marxist comments.]

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Because this is LGW :cool:

Good posts, btw.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 Free_Candy

Free_Candy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

Interesting post, OP. I can't stand the Caps, but I come from a completely different perspective than most on here, as they were once a divisional rival of the Pens, and a lot of that still lingers. There's a lot of other things I could say about the subject but it would take up a lot of time. Hate also takes up energy and I've been on vacation....so I won't go there. :dozing:

I will say this: If****** hate it when people yell things like "RED" during the national anthem. They also yell "RED" in Carolina, and when they say "you see", they yell "JUSSI." I don't care what team it is, I can't stand it when people do that. For a brief moment you're paying respect to your country, you have the rest of the evening to root for your team. Not to get all Uncle Sam and Apple Pie on your ass, but that is a pet peeve of mine.
"It's a great day for hockey." -- Badger

#60 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Interesting post, OP. I can't stand the Caps, but I come from a completely different perspective than most on here, as they were once a divisional rival of the Pens, and a lot of that still lingers. There's a lot of other things I could say about the subject but it would take up a lot of time. Hate also takes up energy and I've been on vacation....so I won't go there. :dozing:

I will say this: If****** hate it when people yell things like "RED" during the national anthem. They also yell "RED" in Carolina, and when they say "you see", they yell "JUSSI." I don't care what team it is, I can't stand it when people do that. For a brief moment you're paying respect to your country, you have the rest of the evening to root for your team. Not to get all Uncle Sam and Apple Pie on your ass, but that is a pet peeve of mine.

Or when Dallas fans shout "STARS!"