• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 vOrophin

vOrophin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Pretty much all of the goaltending in the West is suspect in some way.

Nabokov - has shown some inconsistencies, and had a horrible game in the last big game he was in (Olympics)
Huet/Niemi - Huet is Huet, Niemi looks good but is unproven
Luongo - Below average year and hasn't been proven as a playoff performer
Bryzgalov - Hasn't been in a playoff game in years
Rinne - Never played in a playoff game
Howard/Osgood - Never played in a playoff game/Has not played much this year
Quick - Never played in a playoff game
Anderson - Never played in a playoff game
Kiprusoff - Not going to make the playoffs

#22 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

The problem is the team wasn't even close to the defensively responsible team of old most of the year.

Howard has done a lot with little.

The team was there to clear his massive rebounds in the slot most of the year, the past 2-3games his rebound control was a little bit better, i hope to see further improvement, hopefully the team can focus on other things when howard gets better at controlling them... like playing physical in front of the net and whatnot. I think it's good if a team has better confidence in a goalie so they dont get scared s***less when a player shoot a slapshot from the circles knowing it will bounce out in the slot to rushing forwards

Edited by mindfly, 29 March 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#23 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

That defence at the beginning of the year was supposed to be among the best in the conference with Regehr, Bouwmeester and Phaneuf. Even now, one through seven, they're pretty good. But if Kipper couldn't stop pucks with those three guys on the blueline, I really don't know how he could do it with Detroit's occasionally lax team in front of him.

Rafalski, Lidstrom, Stuart, Kronwall. Great defensive forwards Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filppula, Cleary etc. Not to mention Babcock's superiority in tactical knowledge compared to many other coaches.

This is the Detroit Red Wings.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#24 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

That defence at the beginning of the year was supposed to be among the best in the conference with Regehr, Bouwmeester and Phaneuf. Even now, one through seven, they're pretty good. But if Kipper couldn't stop pucks with those three guys on the blueline, I really don't know how he could do it with Detroit's occasionally lax team in front of him.

Calgary is where they are because they have no offense to speak of. Kipper has been fine.

Posted Image

#25 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

Calgary is where they are because they have no offense to speak of. Kipper has been fine.

You are right about their offense, but with Brent Sutter as their coach, they're supposed to be good at keeping the shots against low, and limiting chances. His GAA should have gone down as much as it did. I think he's a great regular season goaltender.

But I still think Kiprusoff is a question mark in the post-season because of the fact he's lost four first round playoff series' in a row in the post-lockout, post-clutching and grabbing NHL. I don't think it's a coincidence, and if they do sneak into eighth or seventh, I'm not confident they'll pull off an upset.

And maybe my opinion has also been colored slightly by Kipper's performance against the US.

#26 Detman

Detman

I AM the DetMan

• 21 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:02 PM

At least we have Ozzie to step in if Jimmy can't handle the pressure of the playoffs.

#27 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Listening to the Fan today and they were discussing goaltending this year. The only goalies they say are reliable going into the playoffs this year is Bryzgalov, Luongo and Kipper if they can squeak in. They said that Craig Anderson could not be grouped in with them but still should not be grouped with the likes of Howard, Rinne, Nabokov, Quick and Huet. I listen to these guys daily and they aren't Flames homers for the most part but to say Jimmy has not played well enough to be acknowledged as a top goalie in the West I think is pathetic. If Jimmy's play drops off next year I would not be completely surprised(sophomore slump) but for what he has done this year alone he has earned the right to be known as reliable.

Is it just my bias towards the guy or are these guys right? I for one don't believe it and I think Jimmy is in the zone and can do great things this playoffs but just hearing them talk about him like that irked me and I had to share. Thoughts?

The only goalie that they talked about in your post that's not a question mark is Kipper and he will not even be in the playoffs. Luongo has a lot to prove in the playoffs still, 2nd round meltdown doesn't scream reliable to me. Bryzgalov has excellent numbers in the postseason, but again he's never been past round 2. Him and Rinne scare me the most, both in my opinion are very underated because of the teams they play for. I just hope the teams in front of these guys are satisfied with just making it to the playoffs, like St.Louis was last year.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#28 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

The only goalie that they talked about in your post that's not a question mark is Kipper and he will not even be in the playoffs. Luongo has a lot to prove in the playoffs still, 2nd round meltdown doesn't scream reliable to me. Bryzgalov has excellent numbers in the postseason, but again he's never been past round 2. Him and Rinne scare me the most, both in my opinion are very underated because of the teams they play for. I just hope the teams in front of these guys are satisfied with just making it to the playoffs, like St.Louis was last year.

St. Louis and Columbus. :D

#29 adubs

adubs

Rookie

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

Yeah, Kipper isn't that good, Calgary. Given his 70-plus game workload every year and the fact he hasn't gotten them out of the first round in five years, he's a bigger question mark than J-Ho if the Flames can't get into the playoffs. But there is nothing like Lames fans and their love of their acrobatic but perpetually tired goaltender.

Yeah, Kipper is that good. He has carried a team to the cup finals before. He seems to be fine handling the workload this year as he hasn't broken down yet. Might have something to do with him quitting smoking and cutting down on the drinking.

If there is anyone to question, it is Jarome Iginla. But please continue on, you obviously watch every Flames game.

Edited by adubs, 29 March 2010 - 11:57 PM.

#30 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

At least we have Ozzie to step in if Jimmy can't handle the pressure of the playoffs.

It's Jimmy or bust Osgood is done. Note: These words WILL NOT come back to haunt me in any way shape or form.

#31 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:17 AM

It's Jimmy or bust Osgood is done. Note: These words WILL NOT come back to haunt me in any way shape or form.

Just like last year huh?

#32 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

Yeah, Kipper is that good. He has carried a team to the cup finals before. He seems to be fine handling the workload this year as he hasn't broken down yet. Might have something to do with him quitting smoking and cutting down on the drinking.

If there is anyone to question, it is Jarome Iginla. But please continue on, you obviously watch every Flames game.

Iginla? A guy who has devoted his entire life to thatf****** team. He may not being playing great but seriously he needs a genuine centre. f*** that s*** with Jokenin and Stajan. Iginla is probably sick and tired of the Sutter system. They have never given him anyone to play with. Calgary has become a career killer franchise. Kipper stays, Iginla stays. The rest have to go. Blow the team up and get some good picks for Bouwmeester while he is still worth something. Hagman is the best player on that team right now. Stajan can develop a bit more but he's no allstar and him being there isn't going to help the team.

Sutters out Risebrough and Hitchcock in.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#33 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:11 AM

It has to be the rebounds. Has to be.

Posted Image

#34 clutchngrab

clutchngrab

clutchngrab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

Yeah OK. That would work out really well I'm sure.

Alot of goalies would look good playing behind such a defensively responsible team...people on here overestiamte howard a bit i think...

Dare I dig up all the posts where you bitched about how bad our defense was this year? Fortunately for you I am lazy, but I will say this - you are like a willow in the breeze my friend.

The problem is the team wasn't even close to the defensively responsible team of old most of the year.

Howard has done a lot with little.

Another willow in the breeze - just moving in a different direction than mindfly. That's OK Doc, there's plenty of room now on the Howard bus - especially since you photo shop so well.

Edited by clutchngrab, 30 March 2010 - 02:05 AM.

Are you kidding? Block you? And miss watching you stumble around the forum looking for an argument like a dog sniffing butts? It would be like turning off a bad episode of Jerry Springer. You know you shouldn't be watching, but you just... can't... help... it...

#35 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

How do you know?

The people who obsessively hate Osgood or any other Wings player on here never fail to amuse me.

#36 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

While no one knows for sure if Ozzie is done this year or not the odds are in that corner(for this season, next year starts a new). He has not played in a very long time (not his fault) but netminding is all about rhythm either you have it or you don't.

I just don't foresee Ozzie sitting for 2-3 months and then coming into a postseason series and looking like last year.

Again, I have mad love for Howard and Ozzie, however, the next starting goaltender has arrived in Detroit, and oddly enough Ozzie seems to be handling it much much better than his die hard fans.

If the Wings have to go to Ozzie for whatever reason (injuries, J-Ho's play, suspension, etc..) the Wings are in trouble due to Babcock not giving Ozzie enough time to stay in shape and get his rhythm going, unfortunately it was that or miss the playoffs in general.

And you can not get grief for post season decisions if you are not there.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#37 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

While no one knows for sure if Ozzie is done this year or not the odds are in that corner(for this season, next year starts a new). He has not played in a very long time (not his fault) but netminding is all about rhythm either you have it or you don't.

I just don't foresee Ozzie sitting for 2-3 months and then coming into a postseason series and looking like last year.

Again, I have mad love for Howard and Ozzie, however, the next starting goaltender has arrived in Detroit, and oddly enough Ozzie seems to be handling it much much better than his die hard fans.

If the Wings have to go to Ozzie for whatever reason (injuries, J-Ho's play, suspension, etc..) the Wings are in trouble due to Babcock not giving Ozzie enough time to stay in shape and get his rhythm going, unfortunately it was that or miss the playoffs in general.

And you can not get grief for post season decisions if you are not there.

This is spot on. If Osgood has to come in this postseason it wont be like last year. I'm not saying he has zero chance of performing but it will be a different beast he'll have to overcome. Last year he battled with inconsistency while this year he'll have to battle with inactivity. Those are two very different situations.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#38 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

Another willow in the breeze - just moving in a different direction than mindfly. That's OK Doc, there's plenty of room now on the Howard bus - especially since you photo shop so well.

You are aware I have been pretty reasonable with Howard's performance since the season started, right?

Posted Image

#39 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm going to agree with you that Kipper is "that" good. He really is, though he isn't consistent as far as I've noticed. There's some stretches where he allows 2 or fewer goals/game, and other games where he doesn't seem to show up. The offence is definitely the issue though, Calgary has one of the lowest GAA in the West, but also hasn't broken 200 goals for like most of the league.

I don't watch the flames, but what I do know about Iginla is that his heart and soul is in his team, he should be able to lead that team into the playoffs, but obviously is not being listened to. Not sure the issue, since that team should have had solid goal-scoring year round.