• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rage

Our PK Can Bring Us Out Of The West

Rate this topic

Think about what our problems were last season. Defiantly was not the scoring. It was our D until the Playoffs started, then a switch turned on and we were in a SCF Game 7 in Detroit. How about the year before? The beautiful play of Zetterberg and Franzen along w/ the addition of Stuart??

This year, ever since Lilja has come back I've seen a huge improvement in our PK and D overall. I feel that if we can pile that with stellar goaltending and timely scoring (looking at you Z,D, and MULE!!) we could actually make it out of the West this year.

I think our PK is being overlooked right now and just wanted to bring some attention to it. Feel free to disagree with me, I am sure some of you will, but I really can see US going deep this year if WE WANT too.

:siren:

The Puck Possession is starting to come back nicely w/ all the healthy bodies. The PK is getting stronger and stronger.

Who knows what the following weeks could bring us!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............

Edited by rage

Guest mindfly

To be honest the pk was good before lilja got back too... it's because of eaves and miller and they learnt helm how to do it.

Edited by mindfly

Guest mindfly

I'm generally pleased with how things look but still feels like that 3rd line and williams f***s things up...the 07/08 third line was that hudler-filppula-samuelsson right? Z-D-H first line, Cleary-X-Franzen second? cant remember really, i think i like that third line over this one because they actually scored goals too.

Edited by mindfly

CHI and SJ still have better numbers I think. At the same time, the Red Wings PK wasn't what it is today until Helm, Eaves and Miller took over. When was that exactly? 20 games in?

I'm generally pleased with how things look but still feels like that 3rd line and williams f***s things up...the 07/08 third line was that hudler-filppula-samuelsson right? Z-D-H first line, Cleary-X-Franzen second? cant remember really, i think i like that third line over this one because they actually scored goals too.

2nd - Franzen-Filppula-Samuelsson

3rd - Drake-Draper-Cleary

4th - Hudler-Helm-Maltby/McCarty

Guest mindfly

Something like that... but Babcock still like to use filppula and Zetterberg in the final part of the pk if thats possible that must mean he think they still are the most important pk'ers? cleary doesnt play pk anymore and thats a huge tthing because he was horrible... draper doesnt play it anymore either.. they were never going on the point guys like helm, eaves, miller does.. not many shots gets through these days compared to last year and early this season

Edited by mindfly

CHI and SJ still have better numbers I think. At the same time, the Red Wings PK wasn't what it is today until Helm, Eaves and Miller took over. When was that exactly? 20 games in?

2nd - Franzen-Filppula-Samuelsson

3rd - Drake-Draper-Cleary

4th - Hudler-Helm-Maltby/McCarty

Great points by both of you guys. Mindfly, yeah I think we were stronger down the top 3 in '08 when it came to scoring. But by the same token we were even stronger in '09 and it didn't get us a Cup.

Titanium, I totally agree with what you are saying. The addition of Eaves and Miller on the PK, not to mention Helm has us where we wanna be. I also feel that those guys provide us with a solid 4 line rotation just like we had in '08 when we won the Cup. The Draper/Helm/Eaves line has proved this much.

Our D is better than it's been all year now that Lilja is back. Lidstrom has started scoring again this second 1/2 of the season, and the Rafi is HOT ever since the Olympics.

I am upbeat about our team. We have some very exciting weeks ahead of us as Red Wings Fans!! Let's all Enjoy!!

Who's With Me???

Edited by rage

Helm and Eaves by far lead the forwards in SH TOI.

They are first in the rotation.

Then Miller and Maltby/Filppula

Then Helm and Eaves again.

Then Zetterberg and Cleary/Filppula

The 2nd string had Maltby during Fil's injury and now Fil is in for Maltby's injury.

Although ever since Babs put Fil on the second line I think he's been using Z-Fil as the second string sometimes.

I am upbeat about our team. We have some very exciting weeks ahead of us as Red Wings Fans!! Let's all Enjoy!!

With the way the year has gone all I've wanted is for the Wings to make the playoffs and then a rather earlier exit so that the team can get a lot of rest. I thought to myself, "If this is how it's going to be after playing so deep into the post-season the past few years then I really think they should rest up for the future."

But I'm starting to think that maybe they got a shot at another deep run and it won't be so bad for next year. The injuries were bad but also the Olympics really jam packed the schedule and set them up for some losses. They won't have to worry about scheduling problems next year.

Guest mindfly

What are they looking like atm? including D-pairs

Edited by mindfly

Our PK is doing good because the team is getting confidence overall. That was the #1 problem all year long.

Last season problem was Gary fu... Bettman who forced us to play the pens 1 week ahead of the planned schedule.

And the Wings lacking passion. When you see them this year cheering when they get a 1 goal lead against a low-ranked west team, this is back too.

Guest mindfly

:huh: ???

Too much Akkurat?

you know it should say penalties gaaah... spelling and grammar cops on the internet forums is so 90's :P

you know it should say penalties gaaah... spelling and grammar cops on the internet forums is so 90's :P

No I don't care about that. I just wanted to see if you were drunk. After a night out with your buddies logging on to LGW drunk is actually kind of fun, haha.

With the way the year has gone all I've wanted is for the Wings to make the playoffs and then a rather earlier exit so that the team can get a lot of rest. I thought to myself, "If this is how it's going to be after playing so deep into the post-season the past few years then I really think they should rest up for the future."

But I'm starting to think that maybe they got a shot at another deep run and it won't be so bad for next year. The injuries were bad but also the Olympics really jam packed the schedule and set them up for some losses. They won't have to worry about scheduling problems next year.

Funny you mention that. I've also thought the same thing this season. I even thought to myself that if we didn't make the Playoffs it wouldn't be the worse thing ever. Our guys need rest. They've played the most games in the past 3 Seasons!! Remember, not only the last two years did we go deep, the 3 years ago we were in the WCF's against the Ducks. A tough series.

But for some reason, this season has seem to be a blessing in disguise. The injuries have given the guys a time to chill this season with players like Dats (who I am sorry, he and Lids are the horses of this team, those guys could play every game all year and still be TOP NOTCh) and the new-comers getting a bit of time to gel.

Also, I believe that with all the injuries this year, once our Team came back I knew it'd take sometime to adjust. That is to say, that the players needed a couple of weeks to gel together. Now I can't prove that. But I think they way we have been playing lately helps my cause.

PP needs to become more effective too. When the PK and the PP were clicking, the amount of time we had the puck increased and related to more chances.

I dislike having Holmstrom and Franzen on the same PP line - the 2nd PP unit has obviously been struggling.

I'd prefer ZDH and then Franzen anchoring the second unit with possibly Bertuzzi and Filppula.

I dislike having Holmstrom and Franzen on the same PP line - the 2nd PP unit has obviously been struggling.

I'd prefer ZDH and then Franzen anchoring the second unit with possibly Bertuzzi and Filppula.

I missed the game the other night against the Wild yet seen the replays and I was trying to figure out "was that Homer and Johan" on the same line? Babs may be putting big bodies out there to screen the goalie, but we need to spread the talent out a little more. Indeed, a odd/unique combo none the less.

Let's not forget that the Helm has played better during playoffs than any other time. Hopefully he continues that trend. Miller I believe also did really well in the playoffs last year I think. We have quite a few guys who step it up in the playoffs. I think come playoffs we can count on Eaves, Miller and Helm to up the scoring a bit to become truly threatening third and fourth-liners.

Williams, however, will continue to coast.

Guest mindfly

Let's not forget that the Helm has played better during playoffs than any other time. Hopefully he continues that trend. Miller I believe also did really well in the playoffs last year I think. We have quite a few guys who step it up in the playoffs. I think come playoffs we can count on Eaves, Miller and Helm to up the scoring a bit to become truly threatening third and fourth-liners.

Williams, however, will continue to coast.

If the wings against all odds wins the cup williams should be given lord stanley dead last imo :thumbup:

The PK got better when Jacques Lemaire taught Babs a thing or two about how to run a PK.

I remember when we were talking about how bad McCrimmon was/is. The argument was that the personnel on D was essentially the same but drastically worse than 07-08. I think the coaching adjustment on the PK shows that coaching very well may have been the problem.

I missed the game the other night against the Wild yet seen the replays and I was trying to figure out "was that Homer and Johan" on the same line? Babs may be putting big bodies out there to screen the goalie, but we need to spread the talent out a little more. Indeed, a odd/unique combo none the less.

bertuzzi is generally the bigbody in front of the net on the Z/flip PP line.

as for the penalty kill, it may be even better next year when you have the same 3 guys (eaves, helm and miller) and the addition of abdeldader to play with helm. maybe maltby will hang 'em up after this season and the wings won't re-sign williams. as long as holland re-signs eaves and miller, i don't much care what he does with the rest of the cap money. i trust kenny.